Gorst in the Mosconi

Floydian214

Hi everyone,
I was curious, l was watching the European Open and saw Gorst is currently #3 for team Europe. I love watching Fedor, so I hope I word this right and respectfully, but is this allowed (since he currently plays unaffiliated)? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on when he gains US citizenship? Think he'll change sides? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unlike the many other Europeans who have lived in the USA for years (Mika, A Fisher, K. Fisher, Thorston, Shaw, etc.), and still represent their home country, I feel Gorst will want to represent the USA. This USA based fan would welcome that.

I think it may come sooner than later. Maybe even next year.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unlike the many other Europeans who have lived in the USA for years (Mika, A Fisher, K. Fisher, Thorston, Shaw, etc.), and still represent their home country, I feel Gorst will want to represent the USA. This USA based fan would welcome that.

Not sure about the time frame needed but yeah,it seems to me as well that Fedor is taking steps towards that goal 😉

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it is a relatively long process to get citizenship- so it would likely be more like 5 years.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For practical purposes, Fedor is a man without a country, and US citizenship is probably years away. However, it might be to Matchroom's advantage to start considering him American if they want the Mosconi to remain competitive. Only two active American players are in the Top 90 by Fargo (Dechaine and Bergman are inactive), and that's Shane and Skyler, so nobody seems to be in the pipeline short-term.

In the year he spent in America, Fedor endeared himself to the American pool fans, and they'll happily count him as one of their own if afforded the chance.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would seem that after leaving their countries (many years ago for some) and living here it would be respectful of them to represent the country they actually live in now. Somehow representing a country one left, let’s stay ten year ago seems wrong to me.

If a person leaves and no longer lives in that country for a number of years why do they feel the need to represent a country they do not want to live in?

If Fedor does choose to represent the USA I would have huge respect for him making that choice!

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Fedor’s family remains in Russia (as does Tkatch’s) so it might be difficult to have any public break with Russia.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
For practical purposes, Fedor is a man without a country, and US citizenship is probably years away. However, it might be to Matchroom's advantage to start considering him American if they want the Mosconi to remain competitive. Only two active American players are in the Top 90 by Fargo (Dechaine and Bergman are inactive), and that's Shane and Skyler, so nobody seems to be in the pipeline short-term.

In the year he spent in America, Fedor endeared himself to the American pool fans, and they'll happily count him as one of their own if afforded the chance.
I believe Fedor was living in southern Indiana and said something to the effect that he was "a little bit redneck now!" Beyond his extraordinary skills, he seems like a super nice and well grounded guy. All I have to say is he is welcome here.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lord knows we need him. I expect another blow out this year although Tyler is kind of a wild card, capable of big things at times. If somehow Shane, Skyler and Tyler plus two ?? get on a roll they could make it exciting. 11-6 is probably still the magic number. Now, prove me wrong!

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Lord knows we need him. I expect another blow out this year although Tyler is kind of a wild card, capable of big things at times. If somehow Shane, Skyler and Tyler plus two ?? get on a roll they could make it exciting. 11-6 is probably still the magic number. Now, prove me wrong!
As a handicapper, I would agree 100% with your assessment. The pressure for several years has landed on Shanes back and it will continue to do so. Shane established himself as the greatest of his generation and it's his burden to bear. The problem is, his generation has/is passed or passing, but never count Shane out. He has the heart of a warrior. The youth are taking over though, at least overseas. Skyler has been a monster for several of the cups and let's hope he can continue to perform. Tyler Styer, as you said, has done some great things, but then he has a hiccup or two. I really think he is maturing as a player the last several years and has deserved the spot. The question is it enough?

As an American, I would like to see home-grown, red, white and blue blood competing. I'm ok with being the underdog, it's truly the American way. The greatest victories always come from adversity and struggle. I don't know too many little boy's who dreamed of being in the World Series and blowing the other team out in 4 games. The dream was always game 7, bottom of the ninth, two outs, full count, bases loaded, down by 3 runs and you're up to bat. This is why we play the game. This is why we dream. This is the battlefield where we test ourselves. This is where we must believe. This is where we test our hearts, our faith, and our training. And when the stars align, this is our day. You must seize it while you can.

correction note: made a mistake and typed Skyler twice when I meant Tyler Styer.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
As a handicapper, I would agree 100% with your assessment. The pressure for several years has landed on Shanes back and it will continue to do so. Shane established himself as the greatest of his generation and it's his burden to bear. The problem is his generation has/is passed or passing, but never count Shane out. He has the heart of a warrior. The youth are taking over though, at least overseas. Skyler has been a monster for several of the cups and let's hope he can continue to perform. Skyler, as you said, has done some great things, but then he has a hiccup or two. I really think he is maturing as a player the last several years and has deserved the spot. The question is it enough?

As an American, I would like to see home-grown, red, white and blue blood competing. I'm ok with being the underdog, it's truly the American way. The greatest victories always come from adversity and struggle. I don't know too many little boy's who dreamed of being in the World Series and blowing the other team out in 4 games. The dream was always game 7, bottom of the ninth, two outs, full count, bases loaded, down by 3 runs and you're up to bat. This is why we play the game. This is why we dream. This is the battlefield where we test ourselves. This is where we must believe. This is where we test our hearts, our faith, and our training. A when the stars align, this is our day. You must seize it while you can.
Shane's Mosconi record is horrible

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That's your opinion and you are entitled to have it. What you are not entitled to do is determine the future.
And I don't give a shit what you think. How would I determine the future? And if I could, you should watch how you talk to me 🤣