Gorst vs Filler final on EPC 9-ball

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of them went through some strong opponents and it will definitely be very interesting match between these young talents. Gorst on his way to the final eliminated Skoneczny, Staab, Stepanov, De Ruyter, Souquet, He Mario and Kaplan while Filler went through walk over, Tonini, Lutsker, Rizzi, Silva, Svilar, Laaksonen. Both undefeated and it looks like Gorst had a tougher draw and one more match in the first round and he definitely has great motivation to win his first gold in men and repeat the success of my countrymen Vitaliy Patsura and Mario He who won their gold in men at the age of 19. Gorst is still 18 but what a task to defeat Filler. So great final to come and close this EPC. https://billiardapps.com/sheet-128-...9100&tournament=M9&history=no&showtables=1ere you can look for the match progress https://europeanpoolchampionships.eu/livescore/

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yup, this one can go either way for sure. Almost a coin toss. In a thread leading up to the US Open, I named Fedor Gorst as the most likely player to have a breakout performance. Maybe I was just off by one tournament.

Incidentally, and this will shock those who don't watch Gorst often enough, I believe that Fedor Gorst is the world's straightest shooter, despite the fact that Jayson Shaw is so often deemed so.

As for Filler, could he possibly become the only simultaneous holder of the World 9-ball Championship, the US Open 9-ball Championship and the European 9-ball Championship? If he does, I'd say the feat will not be duplicated by anyone else in the next century. In fact, as far as I can remember, the only other player to win all three of these titles in a career is Ralf Souquet.

This question is chiefly for those most in touch with the European 9-ball scene, but anyone can weigh in: Is Filler already in the conversation for best ever European pool player? Souquet, Feijen and Appleton would seem the top three to me up to this moment in history.

My slant on it is that even with a win today, Filler must still look up at Souquet, but will, perhaps, be on a par with Niels and Darren, but I'd much rather rely on our European posters to get a greater sense of this.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6:2 Gorst in a race to 9. But knowing Filler even with alternate break he only needs a chance to change the way the match is hoing...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jasmin Ouschan has won the women's 9-ball and Fedor Gorst ahead 8-6

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6:2 Gorst in a race to 9. But knowing Filler even with alternate break he only needs a chance to change the way the match is going...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also notice that Thorsten Hohmann was eliminated 9-4 by yet another Albanian, Edmond Zaja.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as I just felt it could be a decider to determine a winner it happened so and Fedor at the age of 18 has his first gold in men devision. I hope billiard brothers streamed this final and show it on their youtube channel one day. Great achievement. To understand how tough is to win at the EPC I can just mention one great competitor who unfortunately did not manage to get a single medal in all four disciplines this year and that is Niels Feijen. Congratulations also to Pijus Labutis who took two golds out of two in 8-ball and 9-ball in U-23 division and of course to Jasmin Ouschan with a major note in the conclusion of EPC.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6:2 Gorst in a race to 9. But knowing Filler even with alternate break he only needs a chance to change the way the match is going...

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as I just felt it could be a decider to determine a winner it happened so and Fedor at the age of 18 has his first gold in men devision. I hope billiard brothers streamed this final and show it on their youtube channel one day. Great achievement. To understand how tough is to win at the EPC I can just mention one great competitor who unfortunately did not manage to get a single medal in all four disciplines this year and that is Niels Feijen. Congratulations also to Pijus Labutis who took two golds out of two in 8-ball and 9-ball in U-23 division and of course to Jasmin Ouschan with a major note in the conclusion of EPC.

Kozoom have European Champs. Video/stream from others are forbidden.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other results-

10 ball -Fortunski (beat Matikainen 8-4 in final)
Straight pool-Skowerski (beat Kaplan 125-45 in final)
8 ball-Kaci ( beat Souquet 8-6 in final)
Team - Spain ( beat Austria 2-0 in final)

Europe still has best most organised tour amongst worldwide. Amazing that all their tournaments attract most of their world class players even with peanuts payout.
For eg. upcoming Treviso Open https://eurotouronline.com/information/ prizemoney only 38 thousand euros, Winner gets few thousand euros. Added money only few thousand euros

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, this one can go either way for sure. Almost a coin toss. In a thread leading up to the US Open, I named Fedor Gorst as the most likely player to have a breakout performance. Maybe I was just off by one tournament.

Incidentally, and this will shock those who don't watch Gorst often enough, I believe that Fedor Gorst is the world's straightest shooter, despite the fact that Jayson Shaw is so often deemed so.

As for Filler, could he possibly become the only simultaneous holder of the World 9-ball Championship, the US Open 9-ball Championship and the European 9-ball Championship? If he does, I'd say the feat will not be duplicated by anyone else in the next century. In fact, as far as I can remember, the only other player to win all three of these titles in a career is Ralf Souquet.

This question is chiefly for those most in touch with the European 9-ball scene, but anyone can weigh in: Is Filler already in the conversation for best ever European pool player? Souquet, Feijen and Appleton would seem the top three to me up to this moment in history.

My slant on it is that even with a win today, Filler must still look up at Souquet, but will, perhaps, be on a par with Niels and Darren, but I'd much rather rely on our European posters to get a greater sense of this.

When it comes to the young talents in Europe...Well I witnessed a lot at the european championships for youth since I started to coach but only a few of them have been dominated at their time and were capable to collect medals in all four disciplines sometimes winning two or more golds. For example if I remember correctly starting from 2006 to 2010 it was Ruslan Chinahov's time to collect most of the medals each year when he started as a pupil U-17 in Kiev in 2006 and collected 5 golds, 2 silvers and two bronzes during that period with pretty hard competition with such talented opponents as Manuel Ederer, Roman Pruchay, Mario He, Marc Bijsterbosch, Wojciech Szewczyk to mention a few. Than starting from 2011 to 2017 it was pretty much Filler's time who collected 8 golds, 4 silvers, 2 bronzes while missing the EPC for youth in 2015. That was a chance for my countrymen and young talent Vitaliy Patsura finally to get gold after two bronzes and losses to Filler in the semis two previous years. Than we had Gorst, Pehlivanovic and Zielinski. Gorst managed to collect 3 golds, 2 silvers and a bronze as a pupil and a junior. So here in Europe we have EPBF doing very good job each year organizing european championships and eurotours on a very high level and each player has his profile you can open and look at his achievements. Who am I to claim that certain player is the greatest of all time but there is a fairly good and objective measure of how good someone is and that is of course the results. Filler's results are speaking loudly for themselfes. It is also quite difficult to compare Filler for example to someone like Fedor. It is obvious both are very talented with great fundamentals, technique and skills but they are just different characters. I can only share my subjective thoughts about Filler and what I like about him as a player. He is definitely the player who radiates the energy and confidence. He seems to be a type of a person who lives each day like it is the last day in his life...and he plays with the same attitude giving 100% of his effort to the game...so positive and what is also great he seems to enjoy what he's doing. All of this explaines all those emotions at the end when the winning ball is pocketed. This attitude I guess helps him also to deal with the losses because if you know you've done everything you could than you can think kind of "ok...next time". This final with Fedor is a great example. He was 2:6 and 3:7 behind...than managed to make it hill-hill. In a decider Fedor broke and ran the table for the win. I've watched the awarding ceremony on FB, thanks to Lev - russian teamleader. You have to see how Joshua was walking being in a great mood, smiling and kidding. And you have to watch Jasmin Ouschan at the same place in a previous discipline 8-ball when she was leading 4:0 or 5:0 in the final with Kristina and lost 5:6. How much drama was in her face during the awarding ceremony. If Joshua keeps playing with the same attitude ...only God knows how many titles he will collect. Playing against him you better do not let yourself to relax because he will use any opportunity to make something happen like with that fluke in the semi against De Luna and than gets the momentum. Such characters as Filler are great for the game when you don't know what to expect from him. He attracts attention with his style of playing and that is good for getting kids come and try to master this game.
Fedor seems to have a good goal to get on board team Europe for MC this year and after team Russia took the first place in medal table at this EPC and Fedor won gold in 9-ball, bearing in mind his win at the eurotour earlier. So this goal seems to be very reachable and very likely we may see both Filler and Gorst in the team. I'm sure Fedor will do all his best to win the most prestigious title one day too. It is great to have so different characters playing ot the top level. At the EPCs in the past I've already heard different opinions about two great German players at their prime...who is a better one...Ralph Souquet or Oliver Ortmann. As I said the simplest way is to look at their achievements. It seems like everyone finds his own way to the top. Eklent Kaci who made pool fans talking after winning at the WPS and after that managed to make it into the final at the US-Open. He participated in EPC for youth only U-17 and had 2 silvers and 3 bronzes in 2014 and 2015. His first gold he won last week in men division in 8-ball defeating one of the best in this game Ralph Souquet . Watch out I guess Wiktor Zielinski also has his plans...So the competition in Europe is getting harder and harder each year and just imagine how tough it may turn out if the real money come into this sport one day.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When it comes to the young talents in Europe...Well I witnessed a lot at the european championships for youth since I started to coach but only a few of them have been dominated at their time and were capable to collect medals in all four disciplines sometimes winning two or more golds. For example if I remember correctly starting from 2006 to 2010 it was Ruslan Chinahov's time to collect most of the medals each year when he started as a pupil U-17 in Kiev in 2006 and collected 5 golds, 2 silvers and two bronzes during that period with pretty hard competition with such talented opponents as Manuel Ederer, Roman Pruchay, Mario He, Marc Bijsterbosch, Wojciech Szewczyk to mention a few. Than starting from 2011 to 2017 it was pretty much Filler's time who collected 8 golds, 4 silvers, 2 bronzes while missing the EPC for youth in 2015. That was a chance for my countrymen and young talent Vitaliy Patsura finally to get gold after two bronzes and losses to Filler in the semis two previous years. Than we had Gorst, Pehlivanovic and Zielinski. Gorst managed to collect 3 golds, 2 silvers and a bronze as a pupil and a junior. So here in Europe we have EPBF doing very good job each year organizing european championships and eurotours on a very high level and each player has his profile you can open and look at his achievements. Who am I to claim that certain player is the greatest of all time but there is a fairly good and objective measure of how good someone is and that is of course the results. Filler's results are speaking loudly for themselfes. It is also quite difficult to compare Filler for example to someone like Fedor. It is obvious both are very talented with great fundamentals, technique and skills but they are just different characters. I can only share my subjective thoughts about Filler and what I like about him as a player. He is definitely the player who radiates the energy and confidence. He seems to be a type of a person who lives each day like it is the last day in his life...and he plays with the same attitude giving 100% of his effort to the game...so positive and what is also great he seems to enjoy what he's doing. All of this explaines all those emotions at the end when the winning ball is pocketed. This attitude I guess helps him also to deal with the losses because if you know you've done everything you could than you can think kind of "ok...next time". This final with Fedor is a great example. He was 2:6 and 3:7 behind...than managed to make it hill-hill. In a decider Fedor broke and ran the table for the win. I've watched the awarding ceremony on FB, thanks to Lev - russian teamleader. You have to see how Joshua was walking being in a great mood, smiling and kidding. And you have to watch Jasmin Ouschan at the same place in a previous discipline 8-ball when she was leading 4:0 or 5:0 in the final with Kristina and lost 5:6. How much drama was in her face during the awarding ceremony. If Joshua keeps playing with the same attitude ...only God knows how many titles he will collect. Playing against him you better do not let yourself to relax because he will use any opportunity to make something happen like with that fluke in the semi against De Luna and than gets the momentum. Such characters as Filler are great for the game when you don't know what to expect from him. He attracts attention with his style of playing and that is good for getting kids come and try to master this game.
Fedor seems to have a good goal to get on board team Europe for MC this year and after team Russia took the first place in medal table at this EPC and Fedor won gold in 9-ball, bearing in mind his win at the eurotour earlier. So this goal seems to be very reachable and very likely we may see both Filler and Gorst in the team. I'm sure Fedor will do all his best to win the most prestigious title one day too. It is great to have so different characters playing ot the top level. At the EPCs in the past I've already heard different opinions about two great German players at their prime...who is a better one...Ralph Souquet or Oliver Ortmann. As I said the simplest way is to look at their achievements. It seems like everyone finds his own way to the top. Eklent Kaci who made pool fans talking after winning at the WPS and after that managed to make it into the final at the US-Open. He participated in EPC for youth only U-17 and had 2 silvers and 3 bronzes in 2014 and 2015. His first gold he won last week in men division in 8-ball defeating one of the best in this game Ralph Souquet . Watch out I guess Wiktor Zielinski also has his plans...So the competition in Europe is getting harder and harder each year and just imagine how tough it may turn out if the real money come into this sport one day.

Thanks for your post. You are our insider in European pool.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your post. You are our insider in European pool.
You're welcome. I'm always glad to share with my observations and experience. It's a pleasure for me to read your great reviews from big tournaments.:)