Got my new Varney J/B

tonov12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, received it today and couldn't wait to go play with it. Made it down the the local pub and busted a few racks with it. All I can say is...AMAZING! Of course, I have no experience with any other break cues, but I can't believe the design of a cue can have that type of impact. I've always had trouble controlling the cue ball when I break, I usually follow too much and end up in trouble. When I tried to correct that I would end up with too much draw. Needless to say, it was frustrating.

Well, the first break (8 ball) I drop three and the balls are just flying all over the table. Cue ball sits right smack in the middle and I proceed to run out. My buddy just looks at me in awe...and says, "What did you do different?". I told him I didn't do anything. So he racks and I drop the 8, same type of break- balls flying all over cue ball right in the middle. So I tell him to give it a shot because he was a little skeptical. I rack, he breaks and drops four and rattles the 8 in the corner. He about crapped his pants and didn't want to give it back!:D I just wanted to say, "Thanks" to Varney Cues and Merry Christmas to all!!

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Glad to hear you are happy. Wait until you jump a ball...you ain't seen nothing yet! ;)
Now just keep your eyes open for a nice Varney to play with and you'll have a nice pair....:D
You are very welcome...and merry Christmas to you & your family as well.:)

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
tonov12 said:
Ok, received it today and couldn't wait to go play with it. Made it down the the local pub and busted a few racks with it. All I can say is...AMAZING! Of course, I have no experience with any other break cues, but I can't believe the design of a cue can have that type of impact. I've always had trouble controlling the cue ball when I break, I usually follow too much and end up in trouble. When I tried to correct that I would end up with too much draw. Needless to say, it was frustrating.

Well, the first break (8 ball) I drop three and the balls are just flying all over the table. Cue ball sits right smack in the middle and I proceed to run out. My buddy just looks at me in awe...and says, "What did you do different?". I told him I didn't do anything. So he racks and I drop the 8, same type of break- balls flying all over cue ball right in the middle. So I tell him to give it a shot because he was a little skeptical. I rack, he breaks and drops four and rattles the 8 in the corner. He about crapped his pants and didn't want to give it back!:D I just wanted to say, "Thanks" to Varney Cues and Merry Christmas to all!!

Sounds very good to me indeed. I bet the look on your face was priceless! I'm going to have to get me a b/j cue at some point, sadly that doesn't look like anytime soon. Oh well.

Nice also to see you get straight on here to give your verdict. Sounds to me like Mr. Varney makes some good cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Glad to hear you are happy. Wait until you jump a ball...you ain't seen nothing yet! ;)
Now just keep your eyes open for a nice Varney to play with and you'll have a nice pair....:D
You are very welcome...and merry Christmas to you & your family as well.:)
Careful, the hyperbole police are watching.

Purdman

Banned
I Had The Pleasure Myself

Mechanic/player came over Sunday to check out my table. He brought his Varney J/B with him. I didn't break with it but I did jump a few balls with it. It jumps as well as anything I have used. I have a very nice SledgeHammer myself and if I didn't, I would give Varney a try.
Bob, M/P, said my table was fine. Better than anything you are going to find in any pool hall. I have had the same cloth since 1999. That doesn't need changed either. Sweet man!!!
Purdman;)

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will be very happy with the Varney J/B. I still have a new rosewood one for sale if anyone is interested.

MattRDavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really appreciate the reviews but I'd further appreciate it if you could hold off on them for a while until my Varney arrives. If I get caught staring dreamily at the computer screen again my girlfriend is going to stab me while I sleep.

You're making me anxious!

Just kidding, thanks for the review!

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
MattRDavis said:
I really appreciate the reviews but I'd further appreciate it if you could hold off on them for a while until my Varney arrives. If I get caught staring dreamily at the computer screen again my girlfriend is going to stab me while I sleep.

You're making me anxious!

Just kidding, thanks for the review!

LOL Matt... I am waiting for mine too :D From all the positive I've read & heard, I'll most likely be putting my Stinger up on the auction block shortly thereafter LOL.

Craig

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Glad to hear you're happy with your Varney. I haven't heard any complaints about the craftsmanship or playability of his cues. Which to be honest, is all I really care about. I'm a player, not a collector.

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??????????

Playability is where its at. If you have a $2000.00 cue an the hit is like a breaded mushroom an a $500.00 cue an it hits like two freight trains which
one is going to be in your hand when your money is on the line?
Pinocchio

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinocchio said:
Playability is where its at. If you have a $2000.00 cue an the hit is like a breaded mushroom an a $500.00 cue an it hits like two freight trains which
one is going to be in your hand when your money is on the line?
Pinocchio

Rep for that. I have a $75 dollar cue that I shoot good with and as I've always said :

"It's not the stick. It's the sticker!"

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
I'm just a pm away. :D

Do you ever make a break cue shaft with a thinner diameter, say, 12.5 - 12.7mm? I ask because I've always felt more comfortable getting the shaft through my hands faster with a thinner diameter pro taper. I haven't broken anything yet, but there's always a first time.

Fred

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
Do you ever make a break cue shaft with a thinner diameter, say, 12.5 - 12.7mm? I ask because I've always felt more comfortable getting the shaft through my hands faster with a thinner diameter pro taper. I haven't broken anything yet, but there's always a first time.

Fred

No...the thinner shaft has to much flex. Being extra stiff is part of the secret to great performance.