Graphite

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Played with my buddy's graphite cue tonight. I wasn't able to go home and get mine so we just traded off with it. Maybe it was just me but I thought it played weird. His mom... who doesn't play pool anywhere near as much as she used to, swears by graphite. How does anyone else around here feel about them? Personally, I give them the thumbs down. I don't see many people on here who talk about them so I'm thinking they're not too popular.

Opinions? Facts? Anything?

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Played with my buddy's graphite cue tonight. I wasn't able to go home and get mine so we just traded off with it. Maybe it was just me but I thought it played weird. His mom... who doesn't play pool anywhere near as much as she used to, swears by graphite. How does anyone else around here feel about them? Personally, I give them the thumbs down. I don't see many people on here who talk about them so I'm thinking they're not too popular.

Is the Scorpion SC16 a wooden cue?

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Is the Scorpion SC16 a wooden cue?

Haha. Sort of... it's the whole fiberglass gig. I'm trying to replace it with a wood shaft.. without the fiberglass. So yes, but it also doesn't play like a straight up wood cue either.

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
The only experience I've had with those types of cues was when I played a few games at a bar that had house cues that were made of that junk. The hit/feel was so foreign to me I couldn't stand to play more than a couple of games with those cues. The feel of the hit was just plain strange to me and I couldn't stand it.

I suppose someone fairly new to the game wouldn't know the difference but since I've played more than 20 years with maple shafts my senses just couldn't take it.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 21oz graphite players I use to break with that I bought a while ago.

I have yet to not make a ball on the break ( 9 ball ) with it.

As for shooting, no, just no. It's great to warm up with though by all means. I always warm up with it because when gametime comes around and I pick up the good ole maple after playing with the graphite.. it's like cheating.

Jim Kuykendall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we will see a day when there are composite cues that are more athletic than wood, grips that are more athletic and the same with tips. Pool has been very slow to change the basic equipment of the game.

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
I think we will see a day when there are composite cues that are more athletic than wood, grips that are more athletic and the same with tips. Pool has been very slow to change the basic equipment of the game.

For the most part, I think that's due to ......... "If it aint broke, don't fix it." ;)

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people will hate this comment, but the cues are consistent. Graphite, fiberglass, etc. You just sacrifice a lot of feel for it though. I have a friend who swears by the way a cuetec fiberglass shaft was more consistent than his players wood cue.

Banned
For the most part, I think that's due to ......... "If it aint broke, don't fix it." ;)
I'm reminded of TABASCO® sauce. It was first "invented" in 1868...and the ingredients remain the same today, 141 years later. I mean, *exactly* the same. Pool cues are the same: sure, better materials may have come along or might be invented in the future, but wood is still the gold standard. There's no need to "change the basic equipment", because it's already perfect. Aluminum cues, graphite cues, and other non-wood materials have come along, but none of them compare to a cue made of wood. It is as it should be.

Most people will hate this comment, but the cues are consistent. Graphite, fiberglass, etc. You just sacrifice a lot of feel for it though. I have a friend who swears by the way a cuetec fiberglass shaft was more consistent than his players wood cue.
So you friend plays with crappy cue, and swears by it? Each to his own, I guess. Someone posted a link to a YouTube video I watched last night, which had a comment from Earl Strickland: "...I played with a Cuetec cue for 17 years, and it destroyed my game." :rolleyes: Cuetec pays pro players a lot of money to play with their cues...but anyone can BUY a pro player, and pay them to play with their cue.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't owned a graphite cue, but a friend has one that he breaks with.

I think I'll stick to wood.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member

I think saying that a fiberglass cue is more consistant than a wood cue is an exaggeration because I think some wood cues can and do play a lot more consistant than others and more importantly: they will play more consistently, than the owner (you or I or anyone else). I know that inconsistency in a cue is extremely bad for your game but I also believe that there are wood cues out there which have consistency paired with a very-very good feel.

Looking for these cues is one of the reasons why buying and trying new cues out is fun!

Until today my ex-cue, a Capone cue was the most consistent of them all, although I must confess that before that I have only played with or tried production made cues - from low end to very high end. None can come close to the Capone, it was like the extension of my arm.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:shocked2: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao: :killingme: :shakehead:

Yes because I love having to wear a glove because the cue gets so sticky after one hour of use!

And that's all I have to say about that....! Graphite.... really...!?

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you really Travis Trotters brother?

Last edited:

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see what's the matter with using a glove?

I've used one for the past 3-4 months and sure I get comments ( not really the good ones either ) about it, but it's won me some money here and there and if it does the job, so be it.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see what's the matter with using a glove?

I've used one for the past 3-4 months and sure I get comments ( not really the good ones either ) about it, but it's won me some money here and there and if it does the job, so be it.

Oh don't get me wrong I have a glove in my case. And I own it because I used to shoot with a Graphite/Fiberglass cue. But I am all grown up now and shoot with a real cue. It was a must to either keep the shaft conditioned with special shaft slicking stuff every day, EVERY DAY. Or not care and use the glove.

My league partner started w/ cuetec and therefore owned a glove. He then upgraded to a high end McDermott. I take pride in my Maple cues and how I keep the shaft burnished and ding free all while NEVER using sand paper. well I shoot off a few balls with his cue last week and was jealous of how good his cue felt. I actually told him "I am proud of you, you're all grown up!"
I taught him well.

But do you think he would stop using the glove; NO! He still hasn't broke that habit. But I know some people sweat more then others. But still a well burnished maple shaft, towel for dry hands, never grab the cue with grip hand in bridging area. You know what I mean, stand there kind of using the cue as a relaxed prop as you wait to shoot again. And also I never grab a drink with hand, and if I do, wipe that hand man; that's you bridge hand. I remember a old poolhall (torn down now) that had old tables with hand dryers on them. You didn't see guys wearing gloves then!

So the only reason now after all this time of having a glove and not having to use it is. I used to have my home table in a very hot humid attic, it was must to have to wear it. Until this thread was started I forgot I even own one.

So there's my once a month "TJ" rant; "Why I don't where a glove" :smilewinkgrin: :duck:

Last edited:

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
huh//

played with my buddy's graphite cue tonight. I wasn't able to go home and get mine so we just traded off with it. Maybe it was just me but i thought it played weird. His mom... Who doesn't play pool anywhere near as much as she used to, swears by graphite. How does anyone else around here feel about them? Personally, i give them the thumbs down. I don't see many people on here who talk about them so i'm thinking they're not too popular.

will use graphit on my golf clubs never as a pool cue !!!!