Gray Cloth at the Mosconi Cup

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think? The ball colors will show up better on TV, but will a white glare from the overhead lights hurt the eyes of the players when shooting on the light-colored cloth?

Of course, the photo by Emily Frazer, Managing Director of Matchroom Multi Sport, was to illustrate the size of the pockets, but us railbirds immediately picked up on the change of cloth color.

263721470_10158688057823020_3441087323876114739_n.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the hideous ball design was Emily's idea and I'd wager the cloth color is her doing as well. I'm not sure what was wrong with Tournament Blue and a regular TV ball set. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not a fan of the balls or cloth.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the hideous ball design was Emily's idea and I'd wager the cloth color is her doing as well. I'm not sure what was wrong with Tournament Blue and a regular TV ball set. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not a fan of the balls or cloth.
Oh, man, I didn't think about chalk marks. You're right. And it is definitely a pro player's thing to carry their own chalk. Each has a favorite. They need gray chalk for this table.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great choice. Good on the eyes. Gray chalk does not show up too much. Play on it before you flame it. So far everyone likes it. Yes .. to each his own

Attachments

• A997314F-2B7B-4427-BFCC-5727F0734BA0.jpeg
    A997314F-2B7B-4427-BFCC-5727F0734BA0.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gray cloth is fine to play on. tournament blue is my favorite, but gray is one of the better cloth colors. i don't think it will have a negative effect on the play. those pockets though.. 4 inch?
Click the link that JAM posted. Its called Shark Grey. Made by Simonis. Dec 7 - 10. And 4 in corner pockets. Didnt see side pockets mentioned....assuming 4 1/2 or 4 3/4.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They'll probably make the players use gray chalk.
Really? It will be (almost) interesting to find out if this proves true.

I know more than one STRONG player who won't use chalk other than his brand...and money talks, so if matchroom says you use grey chalk, you use grey chalk.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here is what I see as really stupid. The mosconi cup is going to be played on shark gray cloth, but our team is practicing on blue? This video was just released yesterday.

That was taken in some poolroom not an Matchroom location. I would guess there are tournament practice tables at the venue. In Vegas they had tournament tables in practice area.

Last edited: