Gray Cloth at the Mosconi Cup

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was taken in some poolroom not an Matchroom location. I would guess there are tournament practice tables at the venue. In Vegas they had tournament tables in practice area.
I assumed that was the case. But I would be on a replica of the match table as soon as it was announced. I'll bet the Europeans are doing so.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assumed that was the case. But I would be on a replica of the match table as soon as it was announced. I'll bet the Europeans are doing so.
I doubt those things are just anywhere in London. Don't know when they get access to to the venue. They'll have time to hit on one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what color chalk or cloth color; they are all playing on the same surface. I do not believe it will matter to them nearly as much as it does to the members here..Hopefully they are more focused on winning than cloth color.. Maybe they will like it!
I still don't see why MR has to keep re-inventing the wheel. The balls are a joke and this cloth isn't much better. Standard color balls on tournament blue cloth is ideal for hd streams. Emily just has to have something to call her own.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the hideous ball design was Emily's idea and I'd wager the cloth color is her doing as well. I'm not sure what was wrong with Tournament Blue and a regular TV ball set. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not a fan of the balls or cloth.
Me either bud. Wow 😯

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah those aramith blacks are terrible. Nine ball isn’t so bad though since you’ve only got one ball with black, but I had to stop watching an 8 ball match recently where they were using them.

I’m sure someone at matchroom made a deal with aramith for a kick back to make the balls mandatory in tourneys. I can only imagine it’s cheaper for aramith to make black balls instead of white. Like there was just tons of extra black resin laying around or they don’t have to filter, dye, clean the resin as much if it’s going to be black.

Who knows. I don’t know anything about phenolic ball making, just random ideas to give some kind of reasoning for making black based pool balls.

They play really well though lol. But so do normal colored high quality balls

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Great choice. Good on the eyes. Gray chalk does not show up too much. Play on it before you flame it. So far everyone likes. Yes .. to each his own
Can’t please everyone...I hate gray cloth...it’s just me, I go blind on it.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you think? The ball colors will show up better on TV, but will a white glare from the overhead lights hurt the eyes of the players when shooting on the light-colored cloth?

Of course, the photo by Emily Frazer, Managing Director of Matchroom Multi Sport, was to illustrate the size of the pockets, but us railbirds immediately picked up on the change of cloth color.

View attachment 618789
Yes sir, those pockets are tight, too tight for my 75 year old eyes.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can’t please everyone...I hate gray cloth...it’s just me, I go blind on it.
I guess I understand why the grey- high contrast to the color (colour)ful balls.- but it isn't extreme contrast that is needed, pool balls vs. cloth.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my, and my wife's friend's table has grey cloth. Quite honestly it's ok to play on when we are there. We do use her Grey chalk though. That being said, I do like the blue on our table better. Things like this seem to bother the people not playing more than the players who actually are playing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played lots on gold or camel.....I like it.
I grew up playing in a post-Hustler Brunswick room. All tables(30 GC1's) had gold cloth. Owner liked it cause it didn't show wear and he was cheap as hell. Once his son took over he switched to green. The gold wasn't so bad but it was all i knew til he switched. I like darker colors for contrast.