Gray Cloth at the Mosconi Cup

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Simonis alrwsdy make this color and call it slate gray? I had it on. My olhausen table back in the day

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here is what I see as really stupid. The mosconi cup is going to be played on shark gray cloth, but our team is practicing on blue? This video was just released yesterday.

And none of the tables they are practicing on are Rasson with 4" pockets.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have a problem with the cloth and am agnostic on the table - there are pros and cons to tight pockets. But the balls are terrible on multiple levels - turning the stripes into black balls is bad but making the traditional color of the 4 the color of the 5 is worse. WTF.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think? The ball colors will show up better on TV, but will a white glare from the overhead lights hurt the eyes of the players when shooting on the light-colored cloth?

Of course, the photo by Emily Frazer, Managing Director of Matchroom Multi Sport, was to illustrate the size of the pockets, but us railbirds immediately picked up on the change of cloth color.

View attachment 618789
Yes the pockets are tight, but that is made up by what looks to be forgiving pocket facing angles, I’m guessing around 139°.

They won’t be slopping in balls hit down the rails like in previous years, however these pockets will rarely rattle balls due to the more forgiving pocket facing angles.

I’m not crazy about the cloth color, but it will at least contrast with all of the colors of the object balls. Blue chalk marks (particularly left on the cloth on break shots and draw shots) will NOT look good on this cloth. I’m assuming it’s unlikely they would require the players to use gray colored chalk, as there’s only a couple of chalk manufacturers that offer that color (Master & Silver Cup), and neither of those are premium chalks many of the pro players are now using.

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you think? The ball colors will show up better on TV, but will a white glare from the overhead lights hurt the eyes of the players when shooting on the light-colored cloth?

Of course, the photo by Emily Frazer, Managing Director of Matchroom Multi Sport, was to illustrate the size of the pockets, but us railbirds immediately picked up on the change of cloth color.

View attachment 618789
Ugh, say it ain’t so

• Love
Reactions: JAM

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the pockets are tight, but that is made up by what looks to be a forgiving pocket facing angle, I’m guessing around 139°.

They won’t be slopping in balls hit down the rails like in previous years, however these pockets will rarely rattle balls due to the more forgiving pocket facing angles.

No, I’m not crazy about the cloth color, but it will contrast with all of the colors of the object balls. Blue chalk marks will NOT look good on this cloth, as I’m assuming there’s no way they would require the players to use gray colored chalk, as there’s only a couple of chalk manufacturers that offer that color (Master & Silver Cup), and neither of those are premium chalks many of the pro players are now using.

As far as the color, I wonder if changing technology in HD, cameras, etc., has anything to do with it?

I wasn't around back in the day, but I also wonder if there was resistance when tourneys switched from green to blue? IIRC, Simon is developed the blue for TV because of decreased eye fatigue...at least I think I read a thread on here mentioning it.

I imagine if Simonis starts donating the cloth to big tourneys in order to promote it, and more and more big tournaments start using it, it will start showing up on some of the naysayers home tables eventually.

As far as EF marking her territory, it is good business and good marketing to seperate your product from competitors...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the color, I wonder if changing technology in HD, cameras, etc., has anything to do with it?

I wasn't around back in the day, but I also wonder if there was resistance when tourneys switched from green to blue? IIRC, Simon is developed the blue for TV because of decreased eye fatigue...at least I think I read a thread on here mentioning it.

I imagine if Simonis starts donating the cloth to big tourneys in order to promote it, and more and more big tournaments start using it, it will start showing up on some of the naysayers home tables eventually.

As far as EF marking her territory, it is good business and good marketing to seperate your product from competitors...
I do know that the color gray is supposed to be less fatiguing on your eyes.. There I fixed it for everyone... Except for the balls that is...Can't wait for the start either way...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Simonis alrwsdy make this color and call it slate gray? I had it on. My olhausen table back in the day

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
pretty sure about that too. maybe it was a different hue of gray. the rasson ox isn't brand new either. marketing..

tomatoshooter

They say it's supposed to be easier to see on a small screen.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
It's possible the cloth color change has to do with not being able to get Tournament Blue cloth right now. A few months back, the Simonis factory had a huge flood. The pipeline Tournament Blue cloth has been used up. I'm not sure if you can order any at the moment.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Carl Boyles table at home is gray, maybe it's a Euro thing... but most likely Gar nailed it, EF doing it her way. Oh well, still gonna watch, even if it's fugly! (y)

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonus Ball was played on gray cloth too. I don't have an issue with it. I can see just as well but it gives a new special feeling to the event.

Does anyone have a picture of the entire ball set?