Great Ivory-free Tonkin Cue Underway

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Very nice, Will! I love the ivory-free concept.
I find the computer generated graphic rendering
to be astonishing! What a wonderful idea that
ensures customer and builder are on the same
page. Pete is way ahead of the curve indeed :thumbup:

Hi Josh,

Nice comments!
I agree with you about Pete's rendering capabilities.

Will

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Nick,

In my opinion, for what that's worth, Juma is the best thing that ever happened for cue makers and players both.

Great hit, durability, easy to keep contaminants out, takes finish perfect and great machinability.

The Germans got right.

Rick

BTW, Pete is the finest CM of his generation, no doubt.:thumbup:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your comments!
Literally every time I see you post and I see your Palatine location,
I am reminded of my dear friend cue seller John Wright, who passed away in October, 2004.

Will

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will,

That is a very cool looking cue. Judging by the pictures I bet it can move mountains.

Hope you are doing well.

-don

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a beautiful looking cue. Pete is just about in a league of his own. I'd like to play with one of his cues if I get the chance.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Just a beautiful looking cue. Pete is just about in a league of his own. I'd like to play with one of his cues if I get the chance.

Thanks Martin!

Come to the ICCS in Denver in a couple of weeks and you can play with one of Tonkins!

Will

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Beautiful Cue
What amazing Cuemakers we have today, artists.
I strictly play Ebony 20-21 oz cues so I am partial to this fantastic looking cue.

Sincerely:SS

Cue Monger Ray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The renderings are great! I love all ebony ebony dues, such a beautiful canvas. I am also partial to the wrapless handle with complimentary details. JMO

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
The renderings are great! I love all ebony ebony dues, such a beautiful canvas. I am also partial to the wrapless handle with complimentary details. JMO

Thanks for the comment. Pete`s new process utilizing renderings is really fun and makes the early development process
fun for the buyer as well as nailing down a common understanding of the cue to be built and delivered.

In the last few days I saw a rendering on AZB of another Tonkin cue either underway or now complete that is stunning.
Worth looking up. Titled as New Tonkin Design and is also in this AZB cue gallery forum.

Will Prout

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Very Clean Looking Will! I love the connected points look. It's so beautifully executed and is quintessential "Tonkin" .... By any chance do you know what 3d program he uses for his renderings?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Tonkin Ebony Cue with Silver, Blue

I just realized that I don’t think I ever posted pictures of the completed Tonkin cue I received, so here are a few.
You can see the changes we made to the design along the way.
Ivory free, stunning, and an amazing player.
I have been playing with this cue at Shooters-Olathe regularly.
My highest recommendations go to Pete Tonkin.
Likely one of the best cuemakers in the history of the craft.
This is a player’s level cue. I also own some of his advanced cues, just amazing.

Will Prout

Hi All,

I am excited about a new Pete Tonkin cue currently being built for me, and want to share some renderings of the cue that Pete developed for me
while we were in the process of designing the cue in advance of the build. The unique new software rendering program that Pete has developed
has made it easy for the two of us to have a clear understanding of expectations, and in a word, it is amazing.

Some quick thoughts:

* The cue is ivory-free, and can easily be a "world traveler".

* I worked with Pete by phone and we jointly developed a cue design, including selection of woods, veneers, inlays and specifications..

* Pete then used his unique new software rendering capabilities and brought to life (in a rendering) exactly what was in my mind`s eye.
To be perfectly clear, because of Pete`s overall cue design excellence I certainly provide and encourage his ongoing flexibility for modifications
as he sees fit during the construction process, but the renderings allow us to start "on the same page".

* I am very excited to have Pete building this cue for me, as it has been on my mind for quite some time.
This cue is certainly a Tonkin-design cue, but with my thoughts and ideas incorporated to my satisfaction.
And with a shared vision.

* I already have several stellar Tonkin cues in my home as part of the very best cues in my collection.
This one will fit nicely with the others and will be a welcome addition.

* I give a very, very, very high thumbs up on the overall cue acquisition experience, particularly aided by the rendering process.

* I don`t post cues often in the gallery, but wanted to let others be aware of Pete`s cue design phase with his new, unique and thoroughly rewarding rendering capability.

* I look forward to posting pictures of the cue after it is built. :thumbup:

(Edit: Sorry the pictures are so large, I thought they would be smaller. I will try to re-do them. In their current size you do, however, get a very clear idea of the cue to be built)

Will Prout

Attachments

• 728C8D7D-3CAE-4837-9F68-BAD40918803B.jpg
    728C8D7D-3CAE-4837-9F68-BAD40918803B.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 59497F39-C32A-4980-93EC-5D578369D1A2.jpeg
    59497F39-C32A-4980-93EC-5D578369D1A2.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 250
  • B4555693-E20F-4DDB-83B6-64FB791C5585.jpg
    B4555693-E20F-4DDB-83B6-64FB791C5585.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 304
  • B167DAB9-E619-4F17-8301-403A4BC9067B.jpeg
    B167DAB9-E619-4F17-8301-403A4BC9067B.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 2C7E9FE5-F465-4F78-916B-45D4B1E9F827.jpeg
    2C7E9FE5-F465-4F78-916B-45D4B1E9F827.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will,

If you If you are serious about this Q being a world traveler, then you should consider getting Pete to
furnish you with documentation that all the white in the cue is not ivory & specify what he used instead.

In fact, I’d obtain a small sample to carry in case of any U.S. Customs questions or from another country
you were traveling to with your new cue. The only way of determining the age of ivory, and I know this one
does not contain any, is to drill the cue to obtain multiple core samples that effectively destroys your cue.

The ivory has to be tested for its age since pre-ban 1978 ivory is completely legal but ivory that is younger
(newer) was poached and illegally obtained unless it was an authorized and permitted trophy hunt animal.

IMO, documentation confirming what material was used making the cue and having a sample that could be
examined and tested minimizes the opportunity for any unnecessary problems.....better to play safe than sorry.

Matt B.

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will's new cue

One of the best parts of this cue build was delivering it in person to Will at Shooters. He had no idea I was coming or that the cue was finished. So I called him from shooters and told him guess where I am at and I have something for you. It was such a good time hanging out with Will and a bunch of other old friends plus all the new friends I got to meet at Shooters. I will definitely be going back.