Gus Szamboti 70's

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This would have to break whatever record of the cue that was never resold. Anyone know the previous record?

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was about 1983 or so I saw Gus hand deliver a plain 4 point cue 59" with 2 shafts each with Ivory ferrules to Neptune Joe Frady for $425.00.
My Gus was in the $400 range in the mid 1970's and that was for a fancy one. Taking the 5 to 1 ratio gives a value of $2000 today only taking inflation into account. However, there are many other factors to consider such as Gus made only a small number of fancy cues and he has passed on so he is not making any more of them creating value through scarcity. The real value is probably somewhere between 6 to 7 times more than just the inflation adjusted price

hachi808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Gus was in the $400 range in the mid 1970's and that was for a fancy one. Taking the 5 to 1 ratio gives a value of $2000 today only taking inflation into account. However, there are many other factors to consider such as Gus made only a small number of fancy cues and he has passed on so he is not making any more of them creating value through scarcity. The real value is probably somewhere between 6 to 7 times more than just the inflation adjusted price
Weren't you were offered that and you didn't accept?

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
...small number of fancy cues.... interesting. What do you think that number is? 1200 cues supposedly made.. what is your small number? Mid 70's fancy.. interesting.. Like these???? Mid 70's... I think these are quite fancy..
DSC03701.JPG
1023_all_hi.jpg
950_fore_hi.jpg
950_butt_hi.jpg

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tie19858

Registered
Thanks for the thread and the comments from every kind and nice person, and OP for bringing it up.
I enjoy this thread just like reading Harvard Business Review. It's a quite educating material for new collectors like me.

-Terence

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I bought a R. Black Hoppe in '82($320 w/ 2 shafts) and he sold me a Fellini for 55bux. Wish i still had both. ;)
Those hoppe's he made were GREAT players and I have two of his shafts that were unbelievable. I whish I never sold mine either. I really liked the proportions of the hoppe ring compared to the final cap. About the same size if I recall. A lot of cue builders now I think make the butt cap too tall like 2 to 4 times the size of the hoppe ring.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Those are some very nice cues. I am sure you are proud to own them. What would you estimate the value to be of each of those three?
Since I sold them, and out of respect to the new owner I won't reveal any pricing. The point of those cues are that Gus built many fancy cues, with pearl in the 70's. Every time I think I have seen it all, I learn quickly I haven't.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I sold them, and out of respect to the new owner I won't reveal any pricing. The point of those cues are that Gus built many fancy cues, with pearl in the 70's. Every time I think I have seen it all, I learn quickly I haven't.
Well over $10k.
I think this confirms the range I was given in this forum for my cue of $13,000-$16,000. It would be very educational for the group if more of the sold prices were revealed so everyone could learn

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this confirms the range I was given in this forum for my cue of $13,000-$16,000. It would be very educational for the group if more of the sold prices were revealed so everyone could learn
IBuyCues (Will Prout) who I respect totally said this about my cue....

You have a great, and rare Gus. I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing. 👍 👍

Will Prout