H E L P

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
what could go wrong?

What could go wrong? Dozens of things! Damage to the table, damage to his house, what about somebody injured while doing the job?

Bottom line is that you have no guarantee you will receive the other $1250 once the table is sitting in his house and set up. Remember that possession is nine-tenths of the law. Odds are pretty good that things will go smoothly and you will get paid. However, as many others have pointed out, you are incurring a lot of risk that you shouldn't be to make a simple sale.

I hate to tell somebody to renege on a deal but I would advise considering that you aren't insured to do the job. That is reason enough to not do the work in someone else's home, particularly a stranger in a distant town that you know nothing about. Too, if he was willing to shoot for the table, he is a fairly serious gambler. Most gamblers are hustlers. If there is any disagreement over money owed once the table is set up in his home, you are the stranger and he has the home town advantage with the police and the courts. It is a big advantage!

Hu

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
What could go wrong? Dozens of things! Damage to the table, damage to his house, what about somebody injured while doing the job?

Bottom line is that you have no guarantee you will receive the other $1250 once the table is sitting in his house and set up. Remember that possession is nine-tenths of the law. Odds are pretty good that things will go smoothly and you will get paid. However, as many others have pointed out, you are incurring a lot of risk that you shouldn't be to make a simple sale.

I hate to tell somebody to renege on a deal but I would advise considering that you aren't insured to do the job. That is reason enough to not do the work in someone else's home, particularly a stranger in a distant town that you know nothing about. Too, if he was willing to shoot for the table, he is a fairly serious gambler. Most gamblers are hustlers. If there is any disagreement over money owed once the table is set up in his home, you are the stranger and he has the home town advantage with the police and the courts. It is a big advantage!

Hu

Hi

You have put all the pieces together and provide with a very strong and very good advice. I think I'll go with this one and reconsider the deal.

thanx

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
5ballcharlie said:
I hope everything goes good for you. Are you planning to buy another table?

Hi

No I am not, at least not untill I am living in apartments. Its hard to find a apt. with room large enough for a pool table and its to much work to move table from place to place. Also I don't practice as much as I want to, so I think I'll be fine playing 10 hours a week in a pool hall.

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Hey Baz...

I'm just some blow joe giving my opion, hope I don't offend you with what I'm about to post.

When you shake someone's hand, you're giving your Word.

When you shake someone's hand, You, made an agreement.

You're obligated to the agreement, bar none. Else, loose your honor, your word.

Make what you say = true.

life goes easier that way

Edit: jeesh, I gotta make fun at myself. Just reread what I posted. Worst typo ever, Blow Joe. ment Joe Blow.

Last edited:

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
Ronoh said:
Hey Baz...

I'm just some blow joe giving my opion, hope I don't offend you with what I'm about to post.

Hi,

I'm not offended and I know you are right. However if you read previous posts you will agree that I should consider...as Vader said: "I'm altering the deal, pray I don't alter any further" ;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronoh said:
Hey Baz...

Edit: jeesh, I gotta make fun at myself. Just reread what I posted. Worst typo ever, Blow Joe. ment Joe Blow.

There is no deal yet till some money changes hands. I don't think the guy even gave him the deposit to hold the table, he wants to pay when it suits him. There is nothing stopping Baz from just saying he doesn't want to sell the table anymore. It's not any kind of moral thing. In fact the other guy could call him today and back out all together.

Egg McDogit

street player
Silver Member
Bazarus,

I think it'd be a good idea to at least get this in writing. Just in case something happens, you have some protection. Given that this exchange is for a couple thousand, I'd suggest writing up an informal contract, as opposed to just doing a handshake deal. The contract should say that you're going to deliver and install the table for him and that he's going to pay you $x beforehand and $y after the installation. Specify a date on which he should pay you by - and write something saying you have the right to take the table back and refund him most of his $x if he doesn't pay you the rest by that date. Include his name and your name in it. If you can, make a photocopy of your driver's license/id and his and include it on a second page. Both of you should sign and date all pages of the agreement. If you really want to be cautious, goto the bank with him, sign it there, and get the contract notarized for a couple bucks

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Egg McDogit said:
Bazarus,

I think it'd be a good idea to at least get this in writing. Just in case something happens, you have some protection. Given that this exchange is for a couple thousand, I'd suggest writing up an informal contract, as opposed to just doing a handshake deal. The contract should say that you're going to deliver and install the table for him and that he's going to pay you $x beforehand and $y after the installation. Specify a date on which he should pay you by - and write something saying you have the right to take the table back and refund him most of his $x if he doesn't pay you the rest by that date. Include his name and your name in it. If you can, make a photocopy of your driver's license/id and his and include it on a second page. Both of you should sign and date all pages of the agreement. If you really want to be cautious, goto the bank with him, sign it there, and get the contract notarized for a couple bucks

That all sounds good except there is no way to enforce the agreement except in civil court and who wants to have to do all that over the sale of a pool table. Even when I sit down and sign a rental agreement with a tenant I know it has no teeth other then to intimidate some who don't realize it. Truth is it cost me so much to evict someone I am almost better off giving them money for another apartment and helping them move. Just watch a few episodes of the TV court shows like Judge Judy and you see what can go wrong with common agreements between people. Simpler is better, get your money in full and watch the table go out the door and be done with it.

DoomCue

David J. Baranski
Silver Member
V,

Who is buying your table? I might be able to give you some insight into his character if he's a local player. Feel free to PM me.

-djb

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
DoomCue said:
V,

Who is buying your table? I might be able to give you some insight into his character if he's a local player. Feel free to PM me.

-djb

Hi

That man told me that he is in a drug buisness:rolleyes: Shoot...by the way he looked , spoked and acted I'd say that in fact he is in a illegal drug buisness. However after about 30 minutes he claryfi that he is in legal drag buisness...my ass
Anyways he told me that he gambles all the time and that the closes place to him is Brass Tap. And his name is George.

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
I talk to him on the phone this afternoon and this is how it went:

V:
Hi George, whats up did you get my message? (earlier I sended a voicemail about me altering the deal)
G:
No I didn't
V:
You didn't? hmm ...anyways I decided that I'm not going to get involved in setting up the table for you in Raleigh.
G:
Why not, what happened?
V:
There are too many things that could go wrong like damage to the table. car accident, damage to your house or someone could get injured.
G:
So you don't want to sell it!
V:
Yes I do and I am willing to give you $200.00 off the prize so you can get a local mechanic that will set it up for you.
G:
What are you talking about I thought we had a deal?
V:
I know, but you didn't wanted to pay me in full at my door and I didn't like that. I want to sell my table the same way I bought it: You give me the cash at the door, you are putting the table on your truck and you can do with it whatever you want to. I don't need no hedache over a pool table. I don't know you, you can not guarantee that you will pay me other half when we arrive and I don't even no when am going.
G:
No man I want the deal 25 hundred and you coming with me, otherwise I can give you 2k.
V:
For 2k I have a line of people that want to buy the table.
G:
Ok than get a line of people. Call me when you want to sell the way we disscussed before.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eh- sorry it fell thru- but I think you were exposing yourself to lots of possible risk, so I agree with your decision...

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I have to agree. You did the right thing. Plus, everyone I know seems like they need a releveling after 6 months anyway. You won't want to be tied down for that too.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Table Mechanic

Call a couple local table mechanics and ask them what they usually do in this type of situation, I'm sure they could help, or see if a local banker will hold the dollars in trust?

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
p

I don't believe some guy that would give you $1250, have you come over to his house so you know where he lives and then try to screw you out of the rest of the money. I would just make it where you set it up once and after that he is on his own.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Al-fahl Amir said:
I don't believe some guy that would give you $1250, have you come over to his house so you know where he lives and then try to screw you out of the rest of the money. I would just make it where you set it up once and after that he is on his own.

But what if the table or house is damaged in the move? Baz is schidt outta luck then. What if he hurts himself humpin' that slate? All issues that have been raised before here...probably worth it for him to take a couple of hundred off the price (prize:p ) and let the buyer deal with the KDMSU (knock-down, move, set up- for all you unknowers!).

How about this option, BAZ? Take the $2500#, call a Table Mech in your area and get a quote for the KDMSU, take 1/2 the cost of the KDMSU off of the total price, tell the buyer that you will split the cost of hiring a 3rd party for the deal.
Ex: KDMSU@ $500, he pays you $2750 and has a professional install- you get $2250 and lower your exposure

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
BAZARUS said:
I talk to him on the phone this afternoon and this is how it went:

V:
Hi George, whats up did you get my message? (earlier I sended a voicemail about me altering the deal)
G:
No I didn't
V:
You didn't? hmm ...anyways I decided that I'm not going to get involved in setting up the table for you in Raleigh.
G:
Why not, what happened?
V:
There are too many things that could go wrong like damage to the table. car accident, damage to your house or someone could get injured.
G:
So you don't want to sell it!
V:
Yes I do and I am willing to give you $200.00 off the prize so you can get a local mechanic that will set it up for you.
G:
What are you talking about I thought we had a deal?
V:
I know, but you didn't wanted to pay me in full at my door and I didn't like that. I want to sell my table the same way I bought it: You give me the cash at the door, you are putting the table on your truck and you can do with it whatever you want to. I don't need no hedache over a pool table. I don't know you, you can not guarantee that you will pay me other half when we arrive and I don't even no when am going.
G:
No man I want the deal 25 hundred and you coming with me, otherwise I can give you 2k.
V:
For 2k I have a line of people that want to buy the table.
G:
Ok than get a line of people. Call me when you want to sell the way we disscussed before.

Call the guy back and do the deal. Hire a local mechanic out of the $2500, and have them set it up.

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
But what if the table or house is damaged in the move? Baz is schidt outta luck then. What if he hurts himself humpin' that slate? All issues that have been raised before here...probably worth it for him to take a couple of hundred off the price (prize:p ) and let the buyer deal with the KDMSU (knock-down, move, set up- for all you unknowers!).

How about this option, BAZ? Take the $2500#, call a Table Mech in your area and get a quote for the KDMSU, take 1/2 the cost of the KDMSU off of the total price, tell the buyer that you will split the cost of hiring a 3rd party for the deal.
Ex: KDMSU@ $500, he pays you $2750 and has a professional install- you get $2250 and lower your exposure

It seems to me that he didn't wanted to do any other way as we spoke before. Maybe I'm a little bit paranoid but I have a feeling that he had some sort of plan of screwing me up:confused: . When I told him that I'll give him 200 bucks of the prize, so he can hire local mechanic he wasn't even intresting. And if you saw the guy you would see that he looked and acted suspicious. My first glance on him raised a red flag. I decided that I'll sell the table the same way I bought it. I paid in cash for it I had friends to help, we loaded the table on the van and thats it.
BTW I was looking all over to sell it and I forgot to look around my living area, so I still have lots of outs.