Hand held jump bridge

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along a similar thought process.....
We've got a husband/wife that play on our APA league, and they're great people. He's a 6, and she's a 3/4, floats up and down a bit. When the games are close, and she has a critical shot, they call a time out and he kneels behind the object ball while she is down in position, and he has her adjust her cue position until she is locked on for that shot. Then he moves away and she strokes forward and shoots. It works amazingly well for them, and it is quite frustrating for the opponent. It's legal when you can call a time out and coach, but not well received by lots of the other 3s and 4s in the league.

• Wow
Reactions: bbb

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Devices like this have been out forever. I’m not a fan. I first saw one used in the wild in 2016 or so. 500-level player was bragging about his jumping skills with it. But here’s a 2009 AZB thread talking about the exact jumper I saw in 2016.

Last edited:

JPB2

Along a similar thought process.....
We've got a husband/wife that play on our APA league, and they're great people. He's a 6, and she's a 3/4, floats up and down a bit. When the games are close, and she has a critical shot, they call a time out and he kneels behind the object ball while she is down in position, and he has her adjust her cue position until she is locked on for that shot. Then he moves away and she strokes forward and shoots. It works amazingly well for them, and it is quite frustrating for the opponent. It's legal when you can call a time out and coach, but not well received by lots of the other 3s and 4s in the league.
That should be addressed in the rules. Golf had to clarify and ban the practice because some LPGA players were getting lined up by their caddies. I dunno if it was ego or tradition that it wasn’t an issue on the PGA Tour. Anyway, it was a horrible look, time consuming, and lessens a fundamental skill- setting up and aligning to a shot. That should be banned before the jump cue. APA bans jump cues, right?

JPB2

I've seen some top players jump using a regular bridge, but I haven't seen this before. I think in some rule sets it is not legal without a handle...

View attachment 751128
For the handle they could use a short jump butt, like on the inexpensive jump cues. So you could have a carbon fiber quick release jump bridge handle for maybe $199. Unless there is a rule on the length of the bridge handle. In that event you could do a multi piece jump bridge handle for different rule sets. That to me is classier than the telescoping bridge sticks. So a carbon fiber jump bridge with 3-4 piece handle to use with the matching 3 piece jump cue. And a new case to haul it in. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

I am not even one of the anti jump cue group. But at some point it becomes ridiculous. This may be the point.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Devices like this have been out forever. I’m not a fan. I first saw one used in the wild in 2016 or so. 500-level player was bragging about his jumping skills with it. But here’s a 2009 AZB thread talking about the exact jumper I saw in 2016.

The website is dead, but you can find it on archive.org. Here is a picture from the archived website. Pretty close. Notice the metal ferrule on the jump cue.

1711738608747.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree ten thousand percent. Thought I was the only one left.

i agree. They should be banned also
Nah. I'm going with tradition here. Cue sports have always had masse shots and jumping. You can even jump at snooker under certain circumstances.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i look at pool as a two dimensional game not three.

my rules when gambling is the cue you start the game with is the one you finish with or with a house cue off the wall..
one pocket, we never have these issues.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was/is a rule that you cannot stack more than two bridges for a shot when playing pool. Those old pool bridges couldn't be more than two inches in height. Apparently the rule governing bridges has been lost to the ages?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

my rules when gambling is the cue you start the game with is the one you finish with or with a house cue off the wall..
one pocket, we never have these issues.
That's a little like car racing. You break, you done.
The kids in the Philippines play that carom game they call pool. That what you referring to?

kidding...

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best I recall there was something called a dogbone somebody made. More rounded shape, functioned exactly the same. I don't remember who this was, might have been Don Crump. I think it was outlawed in some play.

It occurs to me that I could add a few parts and not even need a cue.

Hu
Looks like it could double as a back /butt scratcher, the old guys will appreciate that function more. And yes, you more genteel types could use different ends , if it bothered you.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I get where you're coming from. Even with only a playing cue there's certain shots you can't do without the CB off the slate. Heck, even the break shot is a jump shot. Put a dime on the table about 4" from the CB when you break, chances are high that the CB goes right over the top without touching it.

On long draw shots for example, if you can avoid the cloth most of the way the friction doesn't wear off the draw before it gets there. But I guess I'm mainly thinking about "low" jump shots that wouldn't clear a full ball.

I'm kind of indifferent. I think on rotation games they make more sense, but not on traditional games like 1P. If I were making a 9B or 10B tournament one rule would be you could only use a jump cue on your first incoming play at the table, after your opponent's turn. That way you can get out of poor safeties but you get to watch people squirm when they hook themselves and can't jump out of the mess they created. IDK maybe I'm a bit twisted but I think it's a fun way to play.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
that would be fine on just after the break. but shoot out helps with the same situation and adds more thinking and skill to the situation.
although jumping is its own skill set.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like pool is very much a 3D game or else it would look like this.

IMG_0936.jpeg

That said I think there’s more beauty in the game without a jump cue. Watching a kick safe exchange extend back and forth many innings is probably the most exciting aspect of pool to me. Watching someone short circuit that exchange wby bopping over to a jump cue just cheapens that entire experience. So many of Efren’s magical moments would have never happened if everyone just whipped out the short stick like as often as they do today.