Hard, soft or liquid

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what most makers are having success with for shaft wax and tip burnishing. I have been using Unique liquid shaft wax and it seams to work OK but still not getting what I am looking for. I have not tried the Tiger line but I see they have Bees wax and hard wax. Anyone tried these or the shaft cleaner and sealer yet? Is the waxes used together or just one alone. I am also using the Tiger tip burnishing liquid but would wax work better? Any help as always is much appreciated :smile:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I can say that I use Chris Hightowers shaft sealer, no sanding, burnish and his shaft wax.

I get a beautiful finish.

I don't know if you would have any real success in using a hard wax or one that doesn't contain Carnuba. I believe the wax that Tiger sells is replacement wax for the stack leather wraps.

As far as tip burnishing, I have a little container of water. I don't use spit as I usually have a lip full of chew when I am working and I can tell you that chew spit does not work well. I can send you some chew spit if you'd like to try it tho.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I can say that I use Chris Hightowers shaft sealer, no sanding, burnish and his shaft wax.

I get a beautiful finish.

I don't know if you would have any real success in using a hard wax or one that doesn't contain Carnuba. I believe the wax that Tiger sells is replacement wax for the stack leather wraps.

As far as tip burnishing, I have a little container of water. I don't use spit as I usually have a lip full of chew when I am working and I can tell you that chew spit does not work well. I can send you some chew spit if you'd like to try it tho.

You cant ship it across the border.... it's hazardous waste........

LOL

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Clear shellac or deft sanding sealer............. sand lightly with 600..... carnuba wax....

Kim

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Oh, I should not have been eating lunch when I went back to read this, lol. Thanks for the responses so far, and I think I will pass on the chew spit :thumbup: but thanks anyways!

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mowhawk finishing

Try rappid pad from Mowhawk Finishing it works great.....Hope this helps.....Ray Weeks

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I've been using some carnuba type wax from Atlas, but I'm gonna switch to that wonderful smelling butchers bowling alley wax, lol. Maybe that a chew spit is a possible perfect combo? Hmmmm......

Joe

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Just kidding, I actually use the chew spit on occasion when I'm too lazy to walk over to the cupboard and get my container of water.

It is pretty viscous stuff, lets call it a spit polish.

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Thanks for all the help. If am to use a padding lacquer or Deft are you having to let it dry an hour or so? Thin or thick coat? Sand down to it only filling the pores or just sand to smooth out the coat itself?