Harvey Martin Materials?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm about to purchase a Martin Cue we think was built in the 50's.
We also strongly believe the Butt Cap, Ferrule, and joint Sleeve have previously been replaced.
Given that information and the selling price is not outrageous as its really not a collector's item per se, I'm considering some minor restoration work.

The Butt Cap is loose and joint diameters don't match well.

Soooooo? If I was to restore these areas, does anyone know what materials he used in the 50's?
I always thought he was big into Ivory, but maybe only for customers willing to pay. I don't know.
Luckily with the joint issue, its the sleeves that are oversize, not the wood itself in case I decide to just use what's there.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I'm not exactly an expert,but every picture I've ever seen of his cues had a ivory joint and probably the butt cap too. Tommy D.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most had Ivory joints but the majority of butt plates were delrin.

barrymore

Registered
I had a Martin Cue and the butt material was Delrin. My cue was made in the 50's and most the Martin cues that I am familiar with had Delrin butts also. Mr Martin was a great person and cue maker.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here you go cueman.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 196
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 215
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 209
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 200
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 170
  • photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 171
  • photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 166
  • photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 183
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20210123_090807.jpeg
    20210123_090807.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 199

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Delrin butt cap and joint. Phenolic rings.
So if Delrin is correct and the approx build date is correct it seems the butt cap isn't original.
But I was led to a well known collector who after looking at photos, and further details, he believes it is original.
If he's correct, the cue was built in the 60's since it appears Delrin didn't appear on the scene till 62ish?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So if Delrin is correct and the approx build date is correct it seems the butt cap isn't original.
But I was led to a well known collector who after looking at photos, and further details, he believes it is original.
If he's correct, the cue was built in the 60's since it appears Delrin didn't appear on the scene till 62ish?
The butt cap in the picture is delrin. Why would you conclude it is not original?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt cap in the picture is delrin. Why would you conclude it is not original?
Don't have any good reason other than most including myself thought he possibly only used ivory.
The guy I purchased it from has only had it for around 6 months. The guy he bought it from (3rd owner) believed these parts were
repairs. Possibly the repairman was Martin. I don't know. I do know I'm happy to have it regardless.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shot in the dark but
Acetol Polymer was introduced in the mid 50's.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shot in the dark but
Acetol Polymer was introduced in the mid 50's.
Ya, I only spent 5 minutes and used Wiki. Not 100% reliable. I think it agreed with you but there were issues for certain applications but if I remember right the Trade name "Delrin" didn't come out till early 60's.
None of this really matters. Just having a little fun research vs current events.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't have any good reason other than most including myself thought he possibly only used ivory.
The guy I purchased it from has only had it for around 6 months. The guy he bought it from (3rd owner) believed these parts were
repairs. Possibly the repairman was Martin. I don't know. I do know I'm happy to have it regardless.
I own two Martins and both have Ivory Joints and Delrin butt plates.