HARVEY MARTIN

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a big player coming in tomorrow. I'll take good pictures when it comes in. Ivry joint, Birdseye butt, two curly maple shafts, one ivry ferrule. Marked "MARTIN CUE LA CA 71 69" in the rings
LK PY 19 on the wood. JPs are marked to match the shaft stamps.

View attachment 656677
2fb44204875cff9cc388102a674d76b1.jpg

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a Martin. Not as unwieldy as I expected. I thought the shafts would be stiffer but they have small tip diameters and gradual taper. I assumed the butt would be huge, but it's normal size. The cork wrap is original looking and feels great. The balance seems natural I can't wait to play it.

20220818_162005.jpg
20220818_161954.jpg
20220818_161843.jpg
20220818_161817.jpg
20220818_161711.jpg
20220818_161740.jpg
20220818_161622.jpg
20220818_161655.jpg
20220818_161524.jpg

Attachments

• 20220818_161711.jpg
    20220818_161711.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

phreaticus

Wow. Now that is quite a Goodwill find! If not too much trouble, it would be cool to see the inside of the buttcap. Congrats on an amazing collectible. I think it goes without saying that you'll have some interest, if/when you get tired of it!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was nothing under the bumper but dirt. The previous owner never cleaned it.

I just did a light wipe down and the wrap looks like cork again! Cleaned the shaft threads as much as I could. Left the bluing in the shafts, but wiped and light cloth buff. I didn't want to alter the original finish, just clean and shine up what's there.

Pairs well with my oversize sneaky to use as a break cue.

45f723dbfbb989a8507e816a0ae0ec28.jpg
39997874bb60866bd725505ed147bd37.jpg
4efde0c3a7254336eec53dd34da979e9.jpg
3018452376895569c62959bd189cdf08.jpg
View attachment 657141

Last edited:

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is one, nice cue The patina on those shafts is stunning. For a cue of that age. I bet it still plays nice!!!!!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Zylr that was a modern version of this cue. Still had small 11.65 -12mm tips. I sold it because of the uniloc pin. This Martin is so well balanced. I feel like I could almost let go on the follow through and the cue would slide straight through my bridge up to the A joint since the forearm finish is worn smooth. The balance point is dead nuts on the end of the wrap.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read it was inlays he didn't like. I'm not sure if a spliced point is an inlay.
I think he thought that removing material from the forearm and filling it with veneers weakened the cue.
But I suppose that now with most cues being cored that would solve the weakening if it exists at all.
Not sure how he viewed full splice cues.

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only hit a few balls. The ivory ferrule plays better than the other shaft and the tip is in the sweet spot of thickness (nearly too thin, but still just enough meat. That other tip is crapped out. I'll change it to soft and keep a med or hard in the ivory shaft which the longer and larger of the two.

A full splice is plenty sturdy, that dufferin blank sneaky is stout as a tree trunk. But i can see with the glues of the period that weren't as strong why he chose single piece forearms. This one has a lot of road miles by the look of it. Used but not abused.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only hit a few balls. The ivory ferrule plays better than the other shaft and the tip is in the sweet spot of thickness (nearly too thin, but still just enough meat. That other tip is crapped out. I'll change it to soft and keep a med or hard in the ivory shaft which the longer and larger of the two.

A full splice is plenty sturdy, that dufferin blank sneaky is stout as a tree trunk. But i can see with the glues of the period that weren't as strong why he chose single piece forearms. This one has a lot of road miles by the look of it. Used but not abused.
The old time glues were strong enough.
I've seen 100 year plus old full splice cues that hit a ton and aren't falling apart.
A friend bought a conversion cue that is a 100 years old or more and I have a standing offer to have the first shot at buying it if he wants to sell it.
Look at all the Titleist conversions out there that are from the 1940's or so that still look and play good.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Super cool pick up, the word that came to mind for me when I saw is was "seasoned". I can only imagine how great those shafts feel. Thanks for sharing and play with it in the greatest of health.

Take Care
-don

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching that auction. Did you ask questions about the Martin logo on the rings? It wasn't shown or mentioned. I thought it was a Martin when I saw it. Good buy at $(I know the price)!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuenut; I did not send questions as I knew what it was. The logo is hard to see but it's there. Retipped both shafts now I just need to put it through a good session. Very exciting find. Payoff for years of scouring various sites. I bid with lots of 7s for luck

Here's the signature up close
40fd608fe1d3b4e05d256aaa504ec313.jpg

Last edited: