Has Anyone tried a Day Time League for Seniors?

Racky BallBoa

Registered
The absolute best pool scene for seniors that I'm aware of is at the 55 plus active community known as The Villages in Florida. Pool league activity everyday, 8 Ball, 9 Ball, Straight Pool. Plus tournaments every week. Don Feeney and Bert Kinnister reside there as well as Pete Fleming.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
We have a seniors 8-Ball practice League at my home room at Shooters in Southington Connecticut every Tuesday and Thursday starting at noon for ages 55 and up. It averages about 40 players we've had well over 50 a number of times

How its setup is anyone is welcome to come there's no obligation to be there any particular week just come when you can and the computer will pick teams based on everyone's averages and then the teams will compete against each other

The entry fee for the day is $6.50 and if you are on a team that wins you will get back $5 prize money. It's been very successful I've been participating for at least five years and it probably goes back another five before I started with no signs of letting up. :thumbup:

In the mix, as you might imagine, are some pretty sporty players so the competition can be a lot of fun and challenging.

This set up would definitely be a good model to follow for anyone interested to get something going

best,
brian kc

Great post. Thanks

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have an Old Timers Pool League in my area that has been around continuously since 1991. We have 14 on the roster and usually get 10 to 12 every week. The league is the highlight of the week for most of these guys, including me. Lunch is provided by one of 5 players in a rotation schedule.

Dues are $3 per week and we sell cold beverages. Play is draw for partners eight ball, three games. Start at 12:00 over by 3:00 on one 1917 Brunswick 9 footer.

The only handicap is the strongest player is always paired with the weakest.

The only drawback is all the friends that I have had to go to their funerals.:frown:

I understand there is also a travel league in most senior centers in my county.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waldo's in Daytona Beach had a big league in the afternoons, packed the house, no where to park, but I don't know if they still have it or not. Good idea here in Fl.
Tom Harris

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard Times, Sacramento has senior day Tuesday’s and Thursday’s where seniors play for $2 per hour per table. They often get 30/40 players.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started one at Snookers in Sayerville NJ. We play one game of straight pool to 75 then 8 ball race to 5.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There's an over 55 8 ball league every Tuesday and Thursday at Shooters in Southington Ct. Play starts at 12 noon and goes to about 3:30. Based on averages a computer program picks teams from high to low (usually 8 to ten players) who play 1 game each to another team. With 40 players showing up there will be four teams of ten
split into two groups. $6.50 buys you in and the higher winning team gets $5 back per player. Since the teams change each session it all comes out even competitively. Good
cheap fun on 9' GIII's. Free play after the session for an hour or two brings out a little action too. Mitch

We have a seniors 8-Ball practice League at my home room at Shooters in Southington Connecticut every Tuesday and Thursday starting at noon for ages 55 and up. It averages about 40 players we've had well over 50 a number of times

How its setup is anyone is welcome to come there's no obligation to be there any particular week just come when you can and the computer will pick teams based on everyone's averages and then the teams will compete against each other

The entry fee for the day is $6.50 and if you are on a team that wins you will get back $5 prize money. It's been very successful I've been participating for at least five years and it probably goes back another five before I started with no signs of letting up. :thumbup:

In the mix, as you might imagine, are some pretty sporty players so the competition can be a lot of fun and challenging.

This set up would definitely be a good model to follow for anyone interested to get something going

best,
brian kc

These two posts smell the same. :thumbup:

Maniac

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These two posts smell the same. :thumbup:

Maniac

I waited to respond until after the regulars chimed in. The Shooters senior league tournaments are a lot of fun. That pool hall is just over an hour drive for me, so I only participate a couple of times a year.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's an over 55 8 ball league every Tuesday and Thursday at Shooters in Southington Ct. Play starts at 12 noon and goes to about 3:30. Based on averages a computer program picks teams from high to low (usually 8 to ten players) who play 1 game each to another team. With 40 players showing up there will be four teams of ten
split into two groups. $6.50 buys you in and the higher winning team gets $5 back per player. Since the teams change each session it all comes out even competitively. Good
cheap fun on 9' GIII's. Free play after the session for an hour or two brings out a little action too. Mitch

So how many games does each player get to play (on average) during the 3 1/2 hours?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
So how many games does each player get to play (on average) during the 3 1/2 hours?

The actual League Play usually kicks off at about 12:20 then each player typically plays 8 to 10 games and the league ends approximately 230 then the tables are available for after League Play until about 5:30 6:00

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if this has been tried. Age limit over 60 and league play during the day time.
Most of us at this age are retired so every day is Saturday.
without concern to the message box fine print.
responding to Thread Header Only.

West Saint Petersburg
My next door neighbor and long time friend moved into a 55 and over community.
I don't understand that because he's 47.
I was invited to shoot pool with some of the residents, I doubt I'll ever forget.
That's all I really should say. :sorry:

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daytime senior leagues can work really well if you have a high enough concentration of seniors in a given area. I spent several recent winters in the lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas, where there are a lot of active leagues - men's women's and coed. I played in three 8-ball leagues, one 9-ball league and two tournaments every week from December into March. Could have played in more if I didn't have other interests as well.

The age cutoff was 55, but most of the players were in their 60s and 70s with a few in their 80s. These were sponsored and hosted by the various RV/Retirement parks there. They all have pool halls with pretty decent equipment, no jukeboxes, no alcohol, no coin slots and no drama. Made for a very enjoyable time.

I live in a gated golf community where almost everybody (75-80%) is retired and in the winter we have daytime play. A snooker league in the morning on tables installed for the season in the pro shop (5x10s) and snooker/8 ball/9 ball/Russian in the afternoon on those tables and about 30 home tables. The morning is competition for experienced players and the afternoon is social with players at all levels. No age rules so we have partcipants in their 50s through 80s. Very popular. When the golf course opens in the Spring the cues go into storage (except for guys like me and a few others who head downtown to play on the 6x12s once a week). I hate it that snooker is a dying game but it is what it is.