Have a question about refinishing/rewrapping

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an older Lucasi Hybrid LH10. I've completely worn off the rubber wrap, and underneath it is a blue nylon-type material and underneath it is the wood.

lucasi-hybrid-black-lh40-500x500.png

There are also chips of paint or decal coming off the second (black) layer of the cue.

What I was wondering was, how much would it cost to put a new wrap on the cue, and either remove the remaining black decal or paint over it all?

I'm pretty ignorant about the process, just curious what my options were.

Thanks,

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
To be completely honest, its more work than its worth. I'm not sure what the cue cost but you'd probably be money ahead by buying a new one.

Everything you ask is possible, btw.

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from what I've seen since cue makers can't put up prices, you'll probably spend more than half the cost of the cue. As an easy example, McDermott with their service department charges $165 for a refinish with linen wrap, or $200 with leather. Granted, if you were to go to a total strip and wrapless you might be able to get it done cheaper, but its hard to say for sure. Particularly since it sounds like you'll need some significant stripping and chip repair. But here's McDermott's factory price list for their cue repairs.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/repairs_refurbish.php

Since the shaft is half the cost of a new hybrid anyhow, i'd think overall you are better either looking for a used one in good shape for sale, or buying a new one and keeping the old shaft.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
from what I've seen since cue makers can't put up prices, you'll probably spend more than half the cost of the cue. As an easy example, McDermott with their service department charges $165 for a refinish with linen wrap, or $200 with leather. Granted, if you were to go to a total strip and wrapless you might be able to get it done cheaper, but its hard to say for sure. Particularly since it sounds like you'll need some significant stripping and chip repair. But here's McDermott's factory price list for their cue repairs.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/repairs_refurbish.php

Since the shaft is half the cost of a new hybrid anyhow, i'd think overall you are better either looking for a used one in good shape for sale, or buying a new one and keeping the old shaft.

I would do same, you would than have 1B 2S.

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew I would be spending at least $100-$150 if not more.

The wrap lasted about four years and was the cue I started playing with, so it's more of a sentimental thing than anything. I have other cues so it's not a huge priority, but I also don't like having unfinished stuff laying around.

Should I try selling the butt on here or would that be a waste of time? The shredded wrap is a big turn off aesthetically but probably an easy fix for a cuesmith.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Since these are production cues, they are all the same. It would be better to get a new one instead of referbishing the old one.

Move on and get a new one.

Kim