Have exotics inflated in price as much as plywood?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what grade A is, either. :(
(OK, not AA?)
Cue wood rankings are funny - seems i've seen shaft wood, e.g. up to AAAAA+++.
I'm just personally not good enough to recognize it.

The more expensive exotics certainly have gotten scarcer in bulk.
& bulk appears to have more defects in it.

smt

definitely not mine. but current photo.

Attachments

• ebony forklift.jpg
    ebony forklift.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 78

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work in the architectural industry and the prices of wood are killing construction costs, as you probably know, but I have not seen it affect hardwoods, etc. I just purchases about 6 board feet of 8/4 hard maple for cutting boards and I didn't pay anymore then I would've a year ago.

Funny side story - we had a MAJOR accident here last week (interstate was shut down in both directions for hours!) and it turns out a flat bed of lumber was involved and the truck caught on fire (there's video of the guy jumping out) and one of the architects in the office saw the video and goes - "I don't want to sound callous but the fact that truck full of wood is going to burn up hurts, that shit's expensive". LOL
When does it get to the point where we use metal instead of wood studs?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When does it get to the point where we use metal instead of wood studs?

Metal studs are not structural, if they are (or there is some variant that is) their price would probably exceed wood studs. They are used commercially because commercial buildings are cheaper (and stronger) by utilizing concrete, steel beams, etc. and the metal studs are not load bearing, they're easier to use, easier to wire, cleaner, etc. (all things you clearly know or you wouldn't have asked) but traditionally built homes are much cheaper to build using wood. If you used metal the overall structure would need to be much more robust to handle all the stresses of the building.

So, when will they start using them in residential - whenever the technology exists on the residential scale where it would be cost affective.

EDIT: I have not been in the residential building business for 20+ years and my current employer is strictly commercial/government stuff so if my info above is way off base my apologies. I'll poke around the office though and get their take. We have two people that perform residential work afterhours on their own time, they'll know.

Honestly, I like some of the newer stuff they're coming out with and if/when I build my "last" house I will use something like this:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Good black ebony is the next one to disappear completely, I believe.
I still occasionally purchase ebony point stock so I don't have to cut up my squares. Getting harder to locate quality stuff and when I do I'm averaging 10-11$ a point by the time I get it all prepared for glue up.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started my "river of wood" in 2005. I would buy a good bit when the sales appeared from the usual sources. I label and price everything as it comes in and file the invoices. Ebony has definitely increased considerably, but not as much as tulipwood. Most of the other woods commonly used in cue construction are also up significantly. I continue to purchase regularly as some are not kiln dried and take years to dry properly. With rare exceptions the quality isn't what it once was.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
but not as much as tulipwood.
I had several places before internet sales ruled that I could walk into and spend a few hours going thru the piles of 1.5x18 Brazilian tulipwood and Kingwood.......@ $12 a stick. :cry:

If only we could go back to the future with our hoverboards! 👀

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still occasionally purchase ebony point stock so I don't have to cut up my squares. Getting harder to locate quality stuff and when I do I'm averaging 10-11$ a point by the time I get it all prepared for glue up.

There's so much i don't know. :(
What size works for point wood?
Maybe i was burning it as recently as a couple years ago.
(only done Merry's & FS but thinking of learning short splice to use up snakewood scraps )

Metal studs are not structural, if they are (or there is some variant that is) their price would probably exceed wood studs. They are used commercially because commercial buildings are cheaper (and stronger)

Structural metal studs & (sheet steel) joists have been available for almost as long as i've been in the construction trades.
Certainly worked on projects in the early 80's that included them in some areas. Not much residential though, as you point out.
I think the idea is that metal is more predictable - you can use all of it, not variable loads/quality. The installer does not have to pay a lot of attention to sighting, defecting, sorting for appropriateness of location, as with solid lumber products. No going back and cutting/wedging long studs that bowed too much as they dried out, before the drywallers come through. Toenailing jacks and studs sideways to attain straightness at door/window openings, etc. Easier to move same quantity bundle of metal around a jobsite. Overall, probably saves a lot of labor.

I've mostly used the drywall level stuff, often required by code or by the board in rehabs of apartments (Co-ops/condos) for presumed firecode.
Can't remember if it was cheaper per stick, but certain it ends up cheaper installed - until you try to hang big trim or heavy cabinets on it. Prep for that requires more labor, and....wood runners or plywood behind the drywall. Or special systems. IIRC, structural studs will hold screws pretty well, though.

The questions that go back & forth relate more to insulation, and fire issues.
There is some evidence that wood is better for both.
Then there is evidence (& sales) for ways to design around that.
:)

Funny thing is that the green lobby is pushing tall wooden buildings these days.
With torrefied lumber, it is why in some areas, a lot more low-rise apts & light commercial seem to be wood framed again, and often wood clad.
Provides carbon capture & green insulation qualities or so it is posited. (Not against it personally, just have not paid attention/studied the issues.) We'll soon see how that initiative stands up to current market conditions.

smt

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's so much i don't know. :(
What size works for point wood?
Maybe i was burning it as recently as a couple years ago.
(only done Merry's & FS but thinking of learning short splice to use up snakewood scraps )

Structural metal studs & (sheet steel) joists have been available for almost as long as i've been in the construction trades.
Certainly worked on projects in the early 80's that included them in some areas. Not much residential though, as you point out.
I think the idea is that metal is more predictable - you can use all of it, not variable loads/quality. The installer does not have to pay a lot of attention to sighting, defecting, sorting for appropriateness of location, as with solid lumber products. No going back and cutting/wedging long studs that bowed too much as they dried out, before the drywallers come through. Toenailing jacks and studs sideways to attain straightness at door/window openings, etc. Easier to move same quantity bundle of metal around a jobsite. Overall, probably saves a lot of labor.

I've mostly used the drywall level stuff, often required by code or by the board in rehabs of apartments (Co-ops/condos) for presumed firecode.
Can't remember if it was cheaper per stick, but certain it ends up cheaper installed - until you try to hang big trim or heavy cabinets on it. Prep for that requires more labor, and....wood runners or plywood behind the drywall. Or special systems. IIRC, structural studs will hold screws pretty well, though.

The questions that go back & forth relate more to insulation, and fire issues.
There is some evidence that wood is better for both.
Then there is evidence (& sales) for ways to design around that.
:)

Funny thing is that the green lobby is pushing tall wooden buildings these days.
With torrefied lumber, it is why in some areas, a lot more low-rise apts & light commercial seem to be wood framed again, and often wood clad.
Provides carbon capture & green insulation qualities or so it is posited. (Not against it personally, just have not paid attention/studied the issues.) We'll soon see how that initiative stands up to current market conditions.

smt

Excellent post 👍