Have you used carbon fiber and went back to wood?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in people's thoughts that used a LD carbon fiber shaft and moved back to either solid maple or a radial wood shaft. What did they not like about the CF shaft?
Thanks

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I’m sticking with carbon fiber, but if I switched back it would be to a Kielwood shaft. I shot with the Jacoby for a while at the International Open and it really impressed me.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in people's thoughts that used a LD carbon fiber shaft and moved back to either solid maple or a radial wood shaft. What did they not like about the CF shaft?
Thanks
Yes. I found the carbon fiber shaft I was using (Mezz) actually had slightly more deflection, and I did not like the feel or the sound of the hit. I did like the smoothness of the carbon fiber shaft and the ease of maintenance, but as I take very good care of my wood shafts and keep them very slick, that wasn’t a big enough issue for me to remain with the carbon fiber shaft.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 3c Revo, standard deflection model.

Did not like. Sent back. Made 19$ on the currency conversion. Woo hoo.

Saved myself near 2k coz I ALMOST bought the full CRM Silva. And now I know I don't want it.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a Pechauer carbon fiber shaft and didn't like the feel and hit, of course very subjective matters. Then I tried a Revo (didn't buy it --borrowed it for a while), and found the same issues. Sold the Pechauer and went back to wood. I like the feel, the sound and the hit of wood. Very happy to have tried CF and absolutely nothing wrong with the Pechauer version. Just ain't my bag baby.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Pechauer carbon fiber shaft and didn't like the feel and hit, of course very subjective matters. Then I tried a Revo (didn't buy it --borrowed it for a while), and found the same issues. Sold the Pechauer and went back to wood. I like the feel, the sound and the hit of wood. Very happy to have tried CF and absolutely nothing wrong with the Pechauer version. Just ain't my bag baby.
I think older players and players who have played with wood shafts for decades have a tougher time adjusting to the different sound/feel of a carbon fiber shaft. For younger players who have switched to carbon fiber, I think there is much less adjustment to being able to get used to one.

telinoz

Registered
Thanks
Yep, 1 rack was enough for me.

Little feedback.
Dull tinky sound.
Felt like the life was taken out of the cueball...

1st Gen Z shaft for me since 2004.

The only experiment I am thinking about is a custom Tsunami torrified shaft made to exact dimensions of my Z shaft.

Last edited:

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
ep, 1 rack was enough for me.

Little feedback.
Dull tinky sound.
Felt like the life was taken out of the cueball...
Test other CF shafts. I have three from different makers and they all hit a little different. I had to reduce my English by about a tip and concentrate on center cb when I don't want any English. My only adjustment from an LD maple shaft.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a note, for people who don't like the CF feel, you might want to try the Cuetec Cynergy. I'm a middle-distinguished-age player who played solid wood for 25 years and switched over pretty easily. I've noticed no one in this thread who disliked CF has said they tried the Cynergy and came back.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Just as a note, for people who don't like the CF feel, you might want to try the Cuetec Cynergy. I'm a middle-distinguished-age player who played solid wood for 25 years and switched over pretty easily. I've noticed no one in this thread who disliked CF has said they tried the Cynergy and came back.
Same.
After having my newly-refinished custom knocked over and damaged at the hall I decided to go CF.
I bought a revo and a cynergy. I also hit with the Black, the Ignite, and the Rogue.
It took a couple weeks to settle on the Cynergy as my favorite. The Rogue is nearly as good imo.
Played standard maple for 25+ years but I don't mind the hit of the Cynergy at all.
I think the ferrule is trash and I swapped it out but other than that, no regrets.
I really miss being able to jump full cue like I could with the maple though.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Tried CF couple of times, did nothing to make me say wow, but it is personal choice.

When I play well it is me not my equipment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

I actually use both types of shafts, depending on my mood LOL Not sure if that qualifies as "moving back"

CF, specifically the Revo, is probably the one that I feel most accurate with. If I'm in a match I want to win and on a 9 footer that is the shaft I would probably use. For smaller tables and just messing around in league or with friends I swap around between 3-4 shafts. A few wood shafts I can get a bit better result when using inside spin to spin the ball in off the rail, the Revo makes using deflection to curve and spin the ball much harder. All my shafts are LD though and have been for probably 10ish years.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, the Synergy has deflection and hit feel closer to many wood LD shafts, meaning more flex and more deflection than the Revo or Ignite. For players that want a wood shaft but in CF construction, Synergy would be a good pick, I would liken it to a Predator 314. For someone that likes a stiffer feel and deflection that is as low as they can get, then something else would suit them better, Revo is closer to a Z3 shaft, less deflection, stiffer than most other shafts.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After over 50 years of using wood shafts I switched to a Revo 12.9 on a Predator Sneaky Pete, and I'll never use any other shaft again. Much better feel to the hit, and unless it's a hot summer day and the A/C's down, I never have to use a glove. I only wish the carbon shaft had come along BITD, as it would've saved me a lot of wasted money on wood shafts and gloves.

Zerksies

I just switched to CF about two months ago and love it. At first i didn't notice anything going from 314-3 wood shaft to CF revo 12.4 the feel of the hit felt the same. No ping sounds, no dirty hands, no shiny shafts, didn't need a glove. What i did notice is no vibrations on a CF shaft as i would feel with a 314-3.

After playing with the shaft for a month i tried a wooden shaft and the one thing i noticed was the hit was the same, but the feel of the shaft was not as stiff. I'm happy with a CF shaft and I'm never going back to a wood shaft. I love having a shaft that i never have to fix a ding in

I did notice a ping with my Revo break shaft, but i have an extremely hard tip on that shaft.