help the BEF and our young champs

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been a member of this forum for several years now, all as a result of my son becoming interested in playing pool. I’m pleased to say that he’s not only become interested, but has developed some skills at the game.
Part of the reason he has improved has been his participation in BEF sponsored Junior events, such as the Junior Nationals and the WPA sanctioned Junior World competitions. The US Junior Nationals just concluded and the number of entries was as large as it has been in many years, and the greatest growth was in the U14 boys, where more than 40 boys competed, some as young as 9, and from all over the US including the Virgin Islands.
I know that it is a frequent lament on this forum that pool in the US is in trouble, that there should be more ways to support the future of pool, and that “someone” should do more to make it happen. The BEF, under the leadership of Laura Smith and a group of volunteers, goes about its business to encourage and organize events all over the US where kids are able to compete against each other to qualify to go to the Junior National Championships. The winners of that event in each of the age groups are in turn invited to attend the Junior World Championships to represent the United States. In the last few years, the North American contingent has included a two-time winner of the women’s division, Brittany Bryant, and last year’s World Junior silver medalists in each division, Brianna Miller and Jesse Engel.
This year, the Junior World Championships are being held in Kielce, Poland, and will take place August 31- September 4. BEF plans to send the three top finishers in the Boys 18 and under division, as well as the winners of the Girls U18, the Girls U14, and the Boys U14, six competitors in all.
Like the rest of the world, BEF has seen its finances take a hit as the economy has crashed. Details are still developing, but there’s no doubt that sending our kids will be expensive. If you think young players are the future of pool, and see the need to keep kids involved, here is your chance to help.
Go to the BEF website, http://www.billiardeducation.org/ and click on the ‘Donate To Help Kids’ button and use a credit card or Paypal to send whatever you can. For all of you who think that pool has no future, I’m here to tell you that this IS the future, the future is now, and each of you can help make sure that the US team continues to compete with the best young players in the world.
Please help if you can, if in no other way than to spread the word in your own pool halls and with your own teams and players. Every dollar counts. Remember that the BEF is a 501c (3) charity so your donation is not only helping the BEF but is also a tax deduction.
Thanks for reading. Please try to help, be the ‘someone’ who helps the future of pool. To get the ball rolling, I’m pledging $500 to the cause.
Bill Crockett

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been a member of this forum for several years now, all as a result of my son becoming interested in playing pool. I’m pleased to say that he’s not only become interested, but has developed some skills at the game.
Part of the reason he has improved has been his participation in BEF sponsored Junior events, such as the Junior Nationals and the WPA sanctioned Junior World competitions. The US Junior Nationals just concluded and the number of entries was as large as it has been in many years, and the greatest growth was in the U14 boys, where more than 40 boys competed, some as young as 9, and from all over the US including the Virgin Islands.
I know that it is a frequent lament on this forum that pool in the US is in trouble, that there should be more ways to support the future of pool, and that “someone” should do more to make it happen. The BEF, under the leadership of Laura Smith and a group of volunteers, goes about its business to encourage and organize events all over the US where kids are able to compete against each other to qualify to go to the Junior National Championships. The winners of that event in each of the age groups are in turn invited to attend the Junior World Championships to represent the United States. In the last few years, the North American contingent has included a two-time winner of the women’s division, Brittany Bryant, and last year’s World Junior silver medalists in each division, Brianna Miller and Jesse Engel.
This year, the Junior World Championships are being held in Kielce, Poland, and will take place August 31- September 4. BEF plans to send the three top finishers in the Boys 18 and under division, as well as the winners of the Girls U18, the Girls U14, and the Boys U14, six competitors in all.
Like the rest of the world, BEF has seen its finances take a hit as the economy has crashed. Details are still developing, but there’s no doubt that sending our kids will be expensive. If you think young players are the future of pool, and see the need to keep kids involved, here is your chance to help.
Go to the BEF website, http://www.billiardeducation.org/ and click on the ‘Donate To Help Kids’ button and use a credit card or Paypal to send whatever you can. For all of you who think that pool has no future, I’m here to tell you that this IS the future, the future is now, and each of you can help make sure that the US team continues to compete with the best young players in the world.
Please help if you can, if in no other way than to spread the word in your own pool halls and with your own teams and players. Every dollar counts. Remember that the BEF is a 501c (3) charity so your donation is not only helping the BEF but is also a tax deduction.
Thanks for reading. Please try to help, be the ‘someone’ who helps the future of pool. To get the ball rolling, I’m pledging $500 to the cause.
Bill Crockett

Great post, and I'm in for $50. :smile:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I'm in for a C-note. Congrats to Brendan for all the success at his young age and best wishes to the other juniors!

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks, Steve.... this really is an investment in the future, and every one of these kids plays some jam up pool...

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
morning bump

for all of you who might have missed it while AZB was off the air yesterday.....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for all of you who might have missed it while AZB was off the air yesterday.....

This is a very worthy endeavor. I donate a few hundred bucks a year to various pool endeavors, but this one in particular, it's kind of nice that I can use this as a tax writeoff since it's a charity. :smile:

I need all the writeoffs I can get. :eek:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to send 50 bucks, but the website kept saying they could *not* verify my credit card and information. It is the same card I use for all transactions, so I'm not sure what's the hold-up.

Can you provide a postal address where I can mail a check?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bill Crockett
Bill,

Thank you for posting this. The BEF is a great cause and it deserves support.

Regards,
Dave

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
... BEF has seen its finances take a hit as the economy has crashed.....Please help if you can.... Every dollar counts....I’m pledging $500 to the cause. Bill Crockett

I hope my dollars count. Just curious if anyone has received an acknowledgment for their donations (other than the auto-generated paypal receipt)?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Bill, thanks for posting this. I'll send a little something in with the rest of these guys.

BTW, I saw Brendan at the Swanee earlier this year but he wasn't playing. I got called to a match and didn't have much time to chat with him. What's up, is he not competing as much this year? Hopefully, the drivers license and girls don't take him too far from the game. :D Oh, the stresses of being a teenager. ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope my dollars count. Just curious if anyone has received an acknowledgment for their donations (other than the auto-generated paypal receipt)?

Not yet. I marked it on my calendar, though, with the amount and date, so that come April 15, 2012, I can take advantage of the tax writeoff. It's a win-win for me and the BEF. :smile:

I paid by check, though, so it will be easier to remember, having my check as proof.

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
back at ya:

Beetle;
It does, just keep a print out of your donation receipt, the IRS only looks for serious paperwork if the donation is in excess of $500. And thank you!
DPP:
Brendan took six months off after the Jr. Worlds in November to grow up a little [he's almost 6'1' now] and get his grades where he wanted them to be. Got stoked for the nationals, spent a month playing 8 hours a day and went all the way through the winner's side to the hot seat of the 18 & under division before Danny Olsen came back over and beat him in the Final. Too bad it wasn't true double elimination! He's in Canada right now at a snow board camp on the glacier in Whistler, [ his other real love] then back for four weeks of training to go to the Worlds in Poland.
JAM:you're correct, it IS a win win.... and thanks again for helping to keep this out there.
If I had a dollar for every post on here about what's wrong with pool, BEF would have all the $$ it needs. How about a few bucks for what's right with the future of pool?
Please help this effort and help send our kids to Poland next month.

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just in case you were worried

from IRS document IR-2006-192
"To deduct any charitable donation of money, a taxpayer must have a bank record or a written communication from the charity showing the name of the charity and the date and amount of the contribution. A bank record includes canceled checks, bank or credit union statements and credit card statements. Bank or credit union statements should show the name of the charity and the date and amount paid. Credit card statements should show the name of the charity and the transaction posting date."
So your paypal or CC receipt, or cancelled check will do the job.