Help with Eddie Taylor’s personal Mike Segil cue

Dtm1182

I’m wondering if anyone can help me determine an approximate value for this cue. The cue was made by Mike Sigel for Eddie Taylor, and is fairly well documented as one of MR. Taylor’s personal players. It is ebony and leopard wood, has a ton of ivory inlay, and still retains the limbsaver bumper. cue is in immaculate condition. I’m considering selling a few cues. Thank you in advance for any advice on the matter.

Attachments

• 54D96590-3FA0-4ED8-AEDF-9DDA8FFF31D3.jpeg
    54D96590-3FA0-4ED8-AEDF-9DDA8FFF31D3.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 266
  • E29DC0ED-611C-4A67-B776-FE56D6EAC56F.jpeg
    E29DC0ED-611C-4A67-B776-FE56D6EAC56F.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 27502AFD-A2F5-4007-BD29-0130512D16E9.jpeg
    27502AFD-A2F5-4007-BD29-0130512D16E9.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 9F12D871-93B1-489B-9B94-EBBEA5EE879E.jpeg
    9F12D871-93B1-489B-9B94-EBBEA5EE879E.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 270
  • D1E7A8EA-A433-4765-BEFD-F1C3BB8EFE52.jpeg
    D1E7A8EA-A433-4765-BEFD-F1C3BB8EFE52.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The few Sigel cues I have seen for sale had a 2,000- 3,000 asking price on them, don't know of actual final sale prices. Some posts said they bought his cues in the 600-1,500 range but no word on how fancy they were.

Dtm1182

The few Sigel cues I have seen for sale had a 2,000- 3,000 asking price on them, don't know of actual final sale prices. Some posts said they bought his cues in the 600-1,500 range but no word on how fancy they were.
Do you think it’s a safe assumption that the cue being made for and used by a hall of famer would add to the value?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For documentation, a letter from Mike himself would be good. Do you have one?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue has a very limited audience for additional value as former Eddie Taylor cue- how many people actually will want a former Eddie Taylor cue to pay above market value for it as a Mike Sigel cue? The cue has virtually no future appreciation value as an Eddie Taylor cue, as 15 years from now very few will even know who Eddie Taylor was as a player. I am talking cue value- not denying Eddie's greatness as a player, talking the actual cue market here.
So, a Mike Sigel cue, ebony nose, lots of ivory inlay, 90%+ original condition- some bump up as belonging to Eddie Taylor- I say in the $1800 to $2500 range. I think the only way you get a high end price on this cue is if at least two known collectors, at present, want to have a brief bidding war bc it was Eddie Taylor's cue- not likely, but possible. Just my 2 cents.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
In the real world.. you have a cue that was made by a Hall Of Fame player, turned cuemaker, made for a HOF player. Someone collecting HOF player cues, should be ecstatic to have a cue that checks two boxes. This is a cue sold as a collectible, more than a player. Anyone that respected pool history would think this was a nice piece.

The problem you have... your audience is pool players and they think like pool players.

JV

Dtm1182

In the real world.. you have a cue that was made by a Hall Of Fame player, turned cuemaker, made for a HOF player. Someone collecting HOF player cues, should be ecstatic to have a cue that checks two boxes. This is a cue sold as a collectible, more than a player. Anyone that respected pool history would think this was a nice piece.

The problem you have... your audience is pool players and they think like pool players.

JV
I completely agree. The reasons you stated are exactly why I bought it. Unfortunately, I’ve tied up way too much in pool cues lately, and have to choose a few to move on.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV
That’s a lot of words - but his question is current market value. I don’t think a Sigel cue has any additional value bc he was a HOF player and I do not see the market reflect Sigel’s cues getting a big bump either.
Many of us here ARE players and also have been collecting for many years - I wonder just who are the “collectors” out there willing to get into a bidding war for this cue.
Curious/ are you willing to quote a current/ 30 day sale estimated sale price on this cue / I say $1800 to $2500 - What say you for a sale price today on this cue? Would be interested on your expert opinion in numbers not words.

classiccues

Silver Member
That’s a lot of words - but his question is current market value. I don’t think a Sigel cue has any additional value bc he was a HOF player and I do not see the market reflect Sigel’s cues getting a big bump either.
Many of us here ARE players and also have been collecting for many years - I wonder just who are the “collectors” out there willing to get into a bidding war for this cue.
Curious/ are you willing to quote a current/ 30 day sale estimated sale price on this cue / I say $1800 to $2500 - What say you for a sale price today on this cue? Would be interested on your expert opinion in numbers not words.
My words are about the cue in general and its merit as a "collectible". I said nothing about value.

Your value is fair, IMHO. I try not to publicly place values on cues because a few hundred either way, high or low, it could be construed I was trying to influence cue values too positively or I am trying to steal the cue if I say something other people feel is too low. Being married, I already am in a no win situation, why would I want to be in another. :ROFLMAO:

JV

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said and returned a lotta words.

I think both your thoughts on the matter are accurate. Hug it out, bitches.

imo- mikes cues aren't in the same league as the top tier, even if was his highest end stuff.

And... Eddie wasnt 'playing' when Mike made that cue, was he? I don't doubt he hit balls with it, given the fact that photographic evidence was mentioned... but there are plenty of tales of him coming through the room in DC I grew up in and I'm pretty sure he came off the wall in a lot, anyway...meaning I don't think guys of that era were particularly attached to cues.

Could a Taylor cue be akin to a parica one? model?!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I completely agree. The reasons you stated are exactly why I bought it. Unfortunately, I’ve tied up way too much in pool cues lately, and have to choose a few to move on.
You 47 messages in 13 years have all been about "tell me what I have here" "what is this worth" "sell me your high end cue" Ever thought to come on this pool forum and talk about pool? Have a conversation about the sticks or players, your game, what you like, etc.

Dtm1182

You 47 messages in 13 years have all been about "tell me what I have here" "what is this worth" "sell me your high end cue" Ever thought to come on this pool forum and talk about pool? Have a conversation about the sticks or players, your game, what you like, etc.
Right, because you can see my private messages, and know all about my interpersonal experiences regarding pool, and pool cues.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sigel cue sell. I don’t think people like them. They look like bludworths aesthetically with large radius corner inlays and overall design. Just not graceful cues. I think you’ll be stuck with it. Imo.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also don’t think a pro player owner adds any value at all. They go through cues more often than us bangers.

Very few exceptions, like Mosconi’s 526. Or maybe Shane’s Joss cue. Or maybe Efrens $15 cue (but probably couldn’t be proven). Outside of those, the pros were famous for pawning off their cues every tournament and then getting another freebie from their sponsor.

classiccues

Silver Member
Like I said... it's your audience. For a while I was into Jeepster Commandos, at the time a decent one went for 3-5K. Then Leonard Nimoy's Jeepster surfaced, and it had 2-3 owners since. BUT had the original Nimoy paperwork. It sold for 12K. Nimoy probably used it on a large property as a ranch vehicle or something. Because they are the worst riding vehicles ever made, I doubt seriously it was his daily driver. Back to the cue, point is there is a picture of him playing with it, as I said two members of the HOF are associated with it. And only in pool.. will you find people disparage an item with that kind of provenance and then wonder why pool isn't popular, cues ain't selling, and why can't I get free water where I play.... :ROFLMAO:

Live long and prosper.... 🖖
JV