Help with my stroke

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I finally found some time to video myself today and I didn't realize how terrible my stroke is. I've long said I'm the worst shooter on the forum and after watching myself shoot I'm pretty sure I was right.

If someone that has some experience as an instructor or hell anyone for that matter can tell me how I can work on this shoot me a message.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmP4oyt6Ud8AVzVGF4gsYJQ

edit: uploading a couple more.

Last edited:

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, your mechanics aren't that bad. I don't see anything that you're doing consistently wrong. You might want to develop a better pre-shot routine though. The preshot routine develops your "feel" for the game. Instead of 1 or 2 practices strokes and fire, you might use more strokes, and use them more productively to help feel the shot you're trying to execute better (making the ball, speed, moving the cueball, etc.). You're not doing enough before the shot to develop your game IMO.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
In general you have a good stroke with a few flaws.
Maybe cue butt is elevated too much.
I saw a couple of times where your arm went outwards after you stroked.
I don't think this caused you to miss, I think you may not have been aligned properly for the shot.

I do most of my aiming while standing.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FargoBilliards
Esp his Pre Shot Routine

When you get through all of that and want to fill in some gaps:
Search for Dr Dave Billiards.

Here is a guide I like:
Keep It Simple Silly (or Stupid).

1 Learn a good pre-shot routine.
2 Learn the basics. Stance, Bridge, Grip, Stroke, Head Eye Alignment, Aiming.
3 Practice until each is second nature.
4 Learn ball pocketing.
5 Learn ball mechanics.
6 Learn cue ball control both direction and speed.
7 Learn ball and table patterns.
8 Learn kicks and banks.
9 Master your pre-shot routine.

Then KISS.
Trust your stroke and make the ball.
Don't let all your extra knowledge get in the way of making the ball.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, your mechanics aren't that bad. I don't see anything that you're doing consistently wrong. You might want to develop a better pre-shot routine though. The preshot routine develops your "feel" for the game. Instead of 1 or 2 practices strokes and fire, you might use more strokes, and use them more productively to help feel the shot you're trying to execute better (making the ball, speed, moving the cueball, etc.). You're not doing enough before the shot to develop your game IMO.

Thanks DJ. I was shooting half decent ( for me ) before I turned on the camera and then I started getting frustrated fast. I know I rush a lot of my shots and I agree, I need to take a couple more practice strokes and slow down in general. Hell, I don't even know if I chalked in that video.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I finally found some time to video myself today and I didn't realize how terrible my stroke is. I've long said I'm the worst shooter on the forum and after watching myself shoot I'm pretty sure I was right.

If someone that has some experience as an instructor or hell anyone for that matter can tell me how I can work on this shoot me a message.

I would recommend a lesson with a good instructor. Scott Lee is one, and travels the country.

Gideon

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general you have a good stroke with a few flaws.
Maybe cue butt is elevated too much.
I saw a couple of times where your arm went outwards after you stroked.
I don't think this caused you to miss, I think you may not have been aligned properly for the shot.

I do most of my aiming while standing.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FargoBilliards
Esp his Pre Shot Routine

When you get through all of that and want to fill in some gaps:
Search for Dr Dave Billiards.

Here is a guide I like:
Keep It Simple Silly (or Stupid).

1 Learn a good pre-shot routine.
2 Learn the basics. Stance, Bridge, Grip, Stroke, Head Eye Alignment, Aiming.
3 Practice until each is second nature.
4 Learn ball pocketing.
5 Learn ball mechanics.
6 Learn cue ball control both direction and speed.
7 Learn ball and table patterns.
8 Learn kicks and banks.
9 Master your pre-shot routine.

Then KISS.
Trust your stroke and make the ball.
Don't let all your extra knowledge get in the way of making the ball.

Thanks much for that. That was the first thing I seen in my video. My arm popping out a few times and it looked like I had a weird grip in which I didn't notice at all while shooting. I also didn't realize how high I am over my cue on a lot of my shots.

I'm normally decent with draw and stop shots but I'm trying to get better with follow ( not that you could tell from this video). I just finished uploading another one but it's more of the same.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend a lesson with a good instructor. Scott Lee is one, and travels the country.

Gideon

I was hoping to and he was actually near my area last week, unfortunately I didn't have enough cash to do it right now. :(

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general, do everything before the shot in a more deliberate manner, and with more purpose. That would be a good start. Then see where that takes you. It should improve your game immediately and will unlock some doors for you. Then maybe in a month, post another video.

Do the classroom work by using some of the resources the other posters listed. And finding the best player in town to help you out a bit is never a bad thing.

Pay for a lesson if you have to. If you're willing to put the time in, it should help immensely if you have the right person working with you.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have the potential to shoot a decent game. However, you don't like hard work. Right now you're shooting lazy pool.

It takes work to go through the extra steps to make sure you're clear on your decision (right or wrong --- what matters is that you commit to a decision), or to make sure you're lined up properly on the shot and that you are willing to put 100 percent effort into shooting it. Your shot-making routine is undisciplined. Take a look at game 2, around 4:26 --- Two balls and the 8 left on the table : You look away just as you are executing the shot.

If you're not willing to work hard you'll never get past where you are now. It's up to you. You have the tools to do it.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have the potential to shoot a decent game. However, you don't like hard work. Right now you're shooting lazy pool.

It takes work to go through the extra steps to make sure you're clear on your decision (right or wrong --- what matters is that you commit to a decision), or to make sure you're lined up properly on the shot and that you are willing to put 100 percent effort into shooting it. Your shot-making routine is undisciplined. Take a look at game 2, around 4:26 --- Two balls and the 8 left on the table : You look away just as you are executing the shot.

If you're not willing to work hard you'll never get past where you are now. It's up to you. You have the tools to do it.

I assure you I normally don't shoot this "lazy", I took this when I was 2 hours into shooting by myself and thought it may make me practice a little harder. That being said I know what you are saying. Also, thanks for pointing out that area at 4:26. I didn't even realize I did that and have no idea what it was about. I'm going to try to record earlier on in my session Wednesday and see if I look at least a little better than I did in this one. My main concern at the moment was the weird looking stroke. I seen my arm popping out, what looked like a weird grip on the cue, and you're right laziness. I appreciate the response.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee

Talk to Scott Lee. He's on the forum here. For a small donation he'll come work with you.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
OK, haven't watched it all yet but I saw something on your first stroke after the break: You lunged forward! Edit to add: Your stance does not seem balanced! To me it appears you are not quite steady in your stance! You should look like you are carved out of stone when you shoot. Also you sometimes jerk your stroke. You should work on your transition from pause to forward stroke. There are some issues with patterns and planning etc, but I'll leave that to others. I hope I don't come off as too negative, but I hope this is the kind of feedback you wanted. Your game is not as bad as some posters, and maybe my critique as well make it sound, you know.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
anyone for that matter can tell me how I can work on this shoot me a message.

You have more to work on than just stroke. Trust me though, you aren't the worst on here for sure though. And one thing for sure is that no matter how good people are now, at one point every single one of them without exception were worse than you.

Here are a few of the things I noticed that I think are really having a detrimental effect on your performance:
-You sometimes adjust your aim while you are down on your shot, and not always minor adjustments either, but even some very major ones. When you get down on your shot, if your stick is not naturally pointed exactly where you want to aim, get back up and readjust your feet position and then get back down again. If your stick still isn't pointed perfectly, get back up and do it again until it is. A good rule of thumb is if you have to move the butt of your cue to the left or right even a little bit once you are down on your shot (or if you are too close or too far from your shot) you should get back up and readjust your position (feet). You will never, ever be very accurate until you learn to do this. Trying to stroke in a different direction than the one the cue naturally wants to point in never works well and is fraught with perils.

-You aren't taking enough practice strokes. You generally take either one or two practice strokes and then fire. Start taking a minimum of three practice strokes before shooting. Some shots will require more than three. You will know when to shoot when you know you are going to have a nice relaxed confident stroke, have visualized the shot perfectly, have aimed perfectly, and are grooved to hit the shot at exactly the right speed. Sometimes three practice strokes is enough for all of that on the easiest of shots, and occasionally it may take even eight or ten practice strokes on the most difficult of shots. Anything less than three and you just aren't bearing down enough and careless errors will happen, and often.

-You often poke or jab the cue ball, particularly on shots that require a lot of speed. You want to stroke smoothly, meaning you accelerate your swing much more gradually. For example, lets say you are bridging ten inches from the cue ball, and will have a ten inch stroke on that particular shot, and you want to hit the shot at ten miles per hour. Right now you are trying to go from zero mph (at the back of your back swing) to ten mph all in the first inch of your swing. You are trying to get up to speed instantaneously, and there is no way to do that without jerking the cue off of your aim line. Instead, you should be doing something closer to this. At the first inch of your swing you are at one mph, and at two mph by the second inch, and at three mph by the third inch, four mph at the fourth inch, etc, until you are at ten mph after ten inches just as you are hitting and accelerating through through the cue ball. Those numbers may not be exactly right, maybe you hit the full ten mph around the eight inch point or so, but the point is and what is important is that your acceleration and stroke should be smooth, and the only way to be smooth is to not try to get up to full speed quite so fast. A little more gradual acceleration will smooth things out, and one of the best ways to do this is to just relax your arm a little more. Extremely difficult to accelerate gradually and have a smooth stroke with a tense arm. Relax.

One thing you do really well is staying down on your shot and staying pretty still throughout the shot. That is nearly unheard of at your skill level, and there are plenty of really good players that struggle with this too. It can be one of the toughest habits to break (and one of the things that causes the most problems and misses) and you are doing pretty good in that department so keep up the staying down on the shot like you do.

Last edited: