Help with stroke finish

HelpMeScrubs0013

I've worked hours an hours I've finally got my stance an alignment fixed. I've noticed big improvement on my game since. But when I try an hit a long draw shot or hit the ball little hard my hand keeps hitting my chest. I have the measles cue ball an on draws I'm throwing bottom left English on. How can I prevent my hand an chest part.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've worked hours an hours I've finally got my stance an alignment fixed. I've noticed big improvement on my game since. But when I try an hit a long draw shot or hit the ball little hard my hand keeps hitting my chest. I have the measles cue ball an on draws I'm throwing bottom left English on. How can I prevent my hand a chest part.
Some instructors teach that your hand should hit your chest for a consistent and complete follow through.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is very hard to do a diagnosis without seeing you but you could try holding the cue stick a little farther back if you are holding it "forward" of the orthodox position. Many players avoid the problem you seem to be having by bringing their elbow down after the tip-ball contact, but that is harder to work into your game.

But hitting your chest should only occur, if it occurs at all, after the tip has hit the ball. At that point, it can no longer affect where you hit the ball because the ball is gone.

Do you have any instructor nearby who might look at your fundamentals?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you are raising your elbow up when your hand it's your chest,don't do that.
Some players have a tendency to grip the butt tight on power shots,don't do that also.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The reason Scott Lee taught your hand hitting your chest at the end of the stroke was to prevent people decelerating in the stroke delivery. The arm can only go back so far and forward so far. Because of the way I stand my bicep is the stopping point for me.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I posted it on YouTube for y'all to watch.
The cue ball is long gone before your hand hits your chest. I suspect your alignment is the cause of the bottom left english. When I am practicing that shot if my alignment is off at all I get the same results as you are describing accept mine tends to be low right.

I reviewed your video several times at .25 speed and these are some things I saw that could be the culprit:

1. Looks like you are dropping your elbow slightly before contact with the cue ball.
2. Might be gripping your cue when powering up during your swing of the cue.

without me running this through my slow-motion app I use I cannot definitely say.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is very hard to do a diagnosis without seeing you but you could try holding the cue stick a little farther back if you are holding it "forward" of the orthodox position. Many players avoid the problem you seem to be having by bringing their elbow down after the tip-ball contact, but that is harder to work into your game.

But hitting your chest should only occur, if it occurs at all, after the tip has hit the ball. At that point, it can no longer affect where you hit the ball because the ball is gone.

Do you have any instructor nearby who might look at your fundamentals?
seems like you are forward of perpendicular at address
bob's advice bolded above should be helpfull
i am not an instructor

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your stance is not good .
If you shorten your bridge and get it closer to the cue ball your body will flatten a bit,you look all compacted too much.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's almost a great stance. A slight adjustment would give you a little more swing room. You don't need much more. Where is your cue placement under your head? Which eye and how far out under the eye?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bob's advice bolded above should be helpful
i am not an instructor
Yes, his forearm is forward of perpendicular/vertical at address. That means he will have less room for follow through.

Gripping about a hand forward was common in the "old guard" from the 70s (and probably before). The first player I noticed with his grip hand back farther was Buddy Hall. He made everything look so easy.

To the OP: put a rubber band just in front of where you need to grip the cue for perpendicularity on your draw shot. Do not grip on or ahead of the rubber band.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, his forearm is forward of perpendicular/vertical at address. That means he will have less room for follow through.

Gripping about a hand forward was common in the "old guard" from the 70s (and probably before). The first player I noticed with his grip hand back farther was Buddy Hall. He made everything look so easy.

To the OP: put a rubber band just in front of where you need to grip the cue for perpendicularity on your draw shot. Do not grip on or ahead of the rubber band.
I agree. he's a little too close, and he will also need to change his angle at the table a bit.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That was common back in the glory days of 14.1.
Gripping forward eliminated a lot of wobble side to side in the stroke but decreased stroke power which wasn't much needed when most of the shots were 3 foot or less.
I still play this way,when I need a bit of power I grip it about a hand more rearward and shorten the bridge hand.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It also means his tip will dip more at the CB. I think for that it's best to have the forearm perpendicular to the cue at address (a little farther back than perpendicular to the table/floor).

pj
chgo

Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I agree. he's a little too close, and he will also need to change his angle at the table a bit.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but it looks to me like his stance is too "open" (left foot too far back and to the left). He might try facing the cue a little more (move his left foot forward and to the right a little) to get his torso out of the way of his follow through.

pj
chgo

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've worked hours an hours I've finally got my stance an alignment fixed. I've noticed big improvement on my game since. But when I try an hit a long draw shot or hit the ball little hard my hand keeps hitting my chest. I have the measles cue ball an on draws I'm throwing bottom left English on. How can I prevent my hand an chest part.
From your original post I assume you are trying to hit the cue ball dead center and you hit low left most of the time. Most of the reply's are addressing the vertical plane.

If you want information on the horizontal plane it would be better if videoed from behind you. Then we could see where the undesirable horizontal movement is. It could be your body, shoulder, elbow, wrist, or grip. Identifying the problem is may times the most difficult and ignored step.