Hey, Guys! Cue ID & Pic from a fellow woodworker?

JimmyJam

New member
Hi, all. :wave3:

If this isn't the right place for this thread, I apologize (and please feel free to move it).

I'm a fellow woodworker myself, and I love seeing your cue work! I never even considered making my own cue. My passion has always been fishing, and I make all of my own lures. (Image attached).

So, here's the cue ID question:

After scouring the web for a few hours here and there, I still haven't been able to ID an exact match for this Helmstetter.

I'm thinking about throwing this on Ebay, since I unfortunately don't shoot anymore, but if it's not worth my time I think I'll hold on to it. I bought it new sometime between 1995 - 1999 from a local NYC pool hall. Those images are attached too.

Sorry guys, I don't have a post count high enough to include the links directly here :( I'm just a guest (unless I give cue making a shot :))

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciate it.
 

Attachments

  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 686
  • b_end.jpg
    b_end.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 663
  • plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 609
Nice Helmstetter. In general except for the "vintage" ones they are worth like any other such import cue. Couple hundred or so.....maybe a little less or a little more. Ebay can be funny. A cue like that can go for $150 and the next day another exactly like it can go for $250.

If you are looking to sell it I don't think it is important to get an exact model ID on the cue. Most important would be a good description and good pictures.

Somebody here can probably ID it though.
.
 
I really dig lures! Do you sell them? I would love to try some out.

Thanks, Monstermash.

I'm not very quick at making them, since I carve them on a lathe by hand (no tracer), so almost no-one would want to buy them at a price that makes it worth my time.

Most store-bought custom saltwater lures cost somewhere between $20 - $40. For instance, I'm putting together two hand-carved swimmers right now. When all is said and done, i'll have put in about 10 or 12 hours each.

I mostly just fish em (for striped bass and bluefish) and make more when they're destroyed.

Here's a few more pic's :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
 
Thanks, Monstermash.

I'm not very quick at making them, since I carve them on a lathe by hand (no tracer), so almost no-one would want to buy them at a price that makes it worth my time.

Most store-bought custom saltwater lures cost somewhere between $20 - $40. For instance, I'm putting together two hand-carved swimmers right now. When all is said and done, i'll have put in about 10 or 12 hours each.

I mostly just fish em (for striped bass and bluefish) and make more when they're destroyed.

Here's a few more pic's :)

View attachment 259926

View attachment 259927

View attachment 259928

View attachment 259929

View attachment 259930

Wow! Very cool!

I'm more of a freshwater guy myself. I live in a lake so I just walk out my back door and fish right off the dock. We just moved in last year but we've caught some 4-5 pounders off the dock.
:thumbup:
 
i cant add any information about the cue. but the lures look pretty bad ass for being hand carved and painted. that a vs200? im using a vs150 on a lamiglas xs9mhs.

how do the pencils swim with that fluted end? you should check out solarflare on youtube hes got some great DIY lure videos. id love to try one of them out. i tried my hand at DIY lures, yah not so good haha.
 
I think that cue is in the blue book of cues. I think helmsteter is on long island. You can call them ..
 
Back
Top