High bridge for disabled player?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got a question about a bridge to help a player who lost the use of his left arm. He already has a set of wheels for his cue, but he has a problem when bridging over a ball. Right now he has to shoot one-handed jacked up.

Does anyone know of any device that would help him bridge?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I just got a question about a bridge to help a player who lost the use of his left arm. He already has a set of wheels for his cue, but he has a problem when bridging over a ball. Right now he has to shoot one-handed jacked up.

A regular bridge doesn’t work for him? Of course he can’t get it out of the way quickly...

pj
chgo

wild8bill9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Vietnam vet I know had a bridge made of brass, I believe, and a 6inch wooden handle of heavy wood and or loaded with lead? The bridge was the style we carry in our case and put on our break cue. Very stable even on the high side. He had a different one for breaking that had a loop over the cue so he could pick it up with the cue on the follow through. Hope this helps.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many organizations offer assistance with assisted technologies for disabled people. Contact an occupational therapist in your area and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I think a special bridge could be made on a 3d printer fairly easily.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I have passed them on to the player.

The Ebay item looks pretty much like what is needed except it might need a higher notch and a wider base. From the picture it looks like it might not let you shoot if a ball is right in front of the cue ball.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I have passed them on to the player.

The Ebay item looks pretty much like what is needed except it might need a higher notch and a wider base. From the picture it looks like it might not let you shoot if a ball is right in front of the cue ball.

If you are going to buy that thing, I'd suggest buying plastic moldable pellets on Ebay and making your own. The pellets can be molded into any shape or height you want. If you screw up, you can put the thing back into hot water and remold it until you get it right.

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Bob,

Hope your straight pool league still runs as awesome as always!

I had a team mate some years ago, who had lost his left arm in an accident and managed to return to a pretty awesome level (much better than I am that is).
He does not use his bridge if he can reach from the rail, but for any shot further down center table he has a telescope bridge with a "normal" high bridge attached to the end (one of those with openings around every side, if he uses the high side, he can even jump …

I think he had it made in a local workshop for a decent price, maybe your friend can find someone make such a thing for him?

BR,

Björn

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a bridge
You can adjust Its height
I am on my phone and cannot provide a link

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the problem is to remove the bridge after the shot to avoid fouling. I think the suggestion of putting a loop over the bridge or a closed-top bridge are two good ways to solve that problem.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good thread Bob. I hope it helps the player in question and many others.

The same guy contacted me before you started this thread, and this is what I offered for suggestions:

e-mail question said:
I can’t hold the mechanical bridge due to left hand paralyzed.

I have trouble shooting over top balls that are close together and have to rely
On shooting free-handed with good right hand.
I would not recommend shooting free-handed. There are many other better alternatives.

I recommend you use bridge devices that you don't need to hold down. Examples include a bean bag on the rail and a short and heavy mechanical bridge you can use for regular and elevated shots. You first place the bridge down on the table with your good arm. Then you place the cue on the bridge with the same arm and make slight adjustments as required.

There was an army veteran with diabetes and in a wheel chair, with only one arm, in my league many years ago who used alternative bridge devices like this, and he played amazing pool. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago; otherwise, I would photograph all of the "bridges" he custom made for himself.