Hopkins 11 vs Homan 7

pt109

Pagulayan chalk and clothing
Silver Member
Hoppe's still got it.
At the start of this match I said if these two met in their prime, Hoppe
gets the cash in a long money session.

And Danny Diliberto gets kudos from me for the commentating......
..several times he called - "he hit it too hard, or too much spin, or he missed"
...BEFORE Hoppe pulled the trigger.
I think his HOF nomination has given him new energy.

Allen Hopkins is responsible for my second favorite road quote.....
...when asked what do you do when everything is going wrong, Allen said.....
....Get more money.
 
Hoppe's still got it.
At the start of this match I said if these two met in their prime, Hoppe
gets the cash in a long money session.

And Danny Diliberto gets kudos from me for the commentating......
..several times he called - "he hit it too hard, or too much spin, or he missed"
...BEFORE Hoppe pulled the trigger.
I think his HOF nomination has given him new energy.

Allen Hopkins is responsible for my second favorite road quote.....
...when asked what do you do when everything is going wrong, Allen said.....
....Get more money.

Allen capitalized on Thorsten's mistakes. Danny's voice sounded pretty strong considering.
 
The only thing I have to say about this, AGAIN, is

USA, all the way.
USA, all the way.


USA, ALL THE WAY!

Way to go, Allen! Love that guy! Hip, hip, hooray for the Old School. Win the whole shebang for the gipper! :cool:
 
Hopkins doesn't even play anymore. If he invested 1/8th the time playing pool as he does on the golf course, he'd actually might be dangerous. Then again, I was on the receiving end of a 3-birdie front nine the last time we played.... so maybe he's onto something. I dunno.
 
Big fan of Allen Hopkins

Hoppe's still got it.
At the start of this match I said if these two met in their prime, Hoppe
gets the cash in a long money session.

And Danny Diliberto gets kudos from me for the commentating......
..several times he called - "he hit it too hard, or too much spin, or he missed"
...BEFORE Hoppe pulled the trigger.
I think his HOF nomination has given him new energy.

Allen Hopkins is responsible for my second favorite road quote.....
...when asked what do you do when everything is going wrong, Allen said.....
....Get more money.

Nothing against Thorsten, but this is such great news!

Allen Hopkins is right there with Buddy & Nick as guys you ALWAYS want to see do well in any event! I am really happy for him!

***Also,...."2nd favorite road quote"? What is your FIRST favorite? I'm real curious because #2 was a doozee (spelling?).
 
Allen Hopkins is responsible for my second favorite road quote.....
...when asked what do you do when everything is going wrong, Allen said.....
....Get more money.

For some reason this reminded me of something I recently heard Mike Sigel say. He was talking about a shot in 9 ball with the 9 frozen in the middle of the end rail and the cueball up table maybe two diamonds out from the other end rail. Sigel was demonstrating how to bank the 9 ball four rails around the table for a safety.

Then someone said, "What do you do if the cueball is frozen on the other end rail?" Sigel said, "you lose."
 
Hoppe's still got it.
At the start of this match I said if these two met in their prime, Hoppe
gets the cash in a long money session.

And Danny Diliberto gets kudos from me for the commentating......
..several times he called - "he hit it too hard, or too much spin, or he missed"
...BEFORE Hoppe pulled the trigger.
I think his HOF nomination has given him new energy.

Allen Hopkins is responsible for my second favorite road quote.....
...when asked what do you do when everything is going wrong, Allen said.....
....Get more money.

I found Allen's one pocket game when he was in his prime to be just absolutely superlative. Such a great thinker. I listened to many a commentator say he was ducking too much, meanwhile he was winning everything.
 
Nothing against Thorsten, but this is such great news!

Allen Hopkins is right there with Buddy & Nick as guys you ALWAYS want to see do well in any event! I am really happy for him!

***Also,...."2nd favorite road quote"? What is your FIRST favorite? I'm real curious because #2 was a doozee (spelling?).

My favorite road quote...to me, it exemplifies the spirit of a road player.

I've never been beat....but I've ran out of money a few times.
...Scotty Townsend

my third favorite is Blackjack's sig line

Dead balls are easier to make than they are to find.
..Cicero Murphy

hope you're well, Terry
 
I watched that match and it was great to see Allen really wanting to play well! You know how you can tell when a great player is concentrating?.... you never see the emotional outbursts when a bad roll happens. Allen had a few bad things go against him early in the set, and he just kept his head down and got it done! Way to go Allen!

I have a few GREAT stories about Allen. Heres one....

I was working our yearly 14.1 tourney at the Cue Corner years ago, and we all went accross the street to the bar for lunch. Pro golf was on and Allen sits down next to me and said..... pick any 3 golfers to win the tourney and I"ll take the field for $100.....I said, Allen, I know nothing about pro golf or how to bet on it. He laughs and sais....ok I"ll pick 3 players and you get the field ok?......:)

by the smirk on his face I felt my best bet was to pass. The funny thing was.....he just wanted some action. Mike Sigel was sitting there with us and he bet with Allen and lost......we all had to fade Mike bichin about losing that bet for the rest of the tourney.

Sigel did have a nice thing to say about Allen. We were talking all time feared road players and Mike said Allen was one of the most ducked road players of all time. No one went looking for Hopkins......but sometimes Allen would find you and you had to try him! :)

I should have had a tape recorder at those tourneys!

G.
 
Back
Top