Houle' Shish Kebob, Visual Version

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are welcome!
Concerning the perceptions for this line alignment system, all that you need to do is turn your nose to always be slightly to the inside of the cue ball center. In others words, your alignment is to the inside of center cue ball. That's where you see your center to center, center to quarter and center to edge from.
Stan Shuffett
-----------

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Shuffett,
I'm reading where this process is a killer on bar tables.
If that is accurate, why isn't it a killer on other tables as well?
It's working pretty darn good for me on that nightmare 9 footer of mine with the shimmed up pockets.
Is it better than the 'straight CTE with no chaser'....?
I like to stay right on top of the best news about aiming stuff...especially from a teacher (you) that I respect.
Regards,
Pete
:thumbup:

The Bob is great on bar tables. Any system improves its efficacy on the smaller sized tables. The Bob is a super one line system. It's easy to use. However, a 2 line system for alignment is ALWAYS superior to a one liner. Hal pioneered 40 plus systems and the Bob is one of his more heralded creations but in contrast to CTE Hal referenced the Bob as a specialty system.

Stan Shuffett

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan -
Just to let you know how well this system does work. I just started playing again after almost a year layoff. The first guy I had to play, 8-ball, is a 7/9 in the APA who plays all the time. He beat me but it did go hill-hill and I employed Shish Kebob several times in the match for very thin cuts. If I hadn't come out of the gate so slow I might have nipped him.
Next match was 10 ball and that was a decisive win for the Koopster :)

I was rusty as hell and still gave this guy everything he could handle while using this system many, many times throughout the match.

Seriously can't wait for the CTE book to come out.

Koop - bought the guy a beer after the match

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I intended to respond to your question but was out of town and got sidetracked.

As a rule, most any CTE player will increase their use of CCB and consequently their their positional routing improve and grow accordingly. I have experienced this for myself.
Sidespin is still a must for any CTE player to use as needed.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan -
Just to let you know how well this system does work. I just started playing again after almost a year layoff. The first guy I had to play, 8-ball, is a 7/9 in the APA who plays all the time. He beat me but it did go hill-hill and I employed Shish Kebob several times in the match for very thin cuts. If I hadn't come out of the gate so slow I might have nipped him.

I was rusty as hell and still gave this guy everything he could handle while using this system many, many times throughout the match.

Sis boom ba... Go Shisk Ke Bob.....

I'm betting that you will love my book. I'm not betting on everyone loving it, though. I don't want anyone venturing into my work ever again with a dubious mind set. For those that are curious or whatever, they can see my online update presentation first and then decide if they want to take the plunge into acquiring my book.

Stan Shuffett

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm betting that you will love my book. I'm not betting on everyone loving it, though. I don't want anyone venturing into my work ever again with a dubious mind set. For those that are curious or whatever, they can see my online update presentation first and then decide if they want to take the plunge into acquiring my book.

Stan Shuffett

I think my time with Hal should give me a good head start into understanding the material. At least that's my hope :)
He totally made me a believer, it's getting past the pivots that are still a little tricky for me but I've learned that they don't need to be exaggerated. Just small little pivots back to center.
Anyway, can't wait for the book and thanks for all you do.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm betting that you will love my book. I'm not betting on everyone loving it, though. I don't want anyone venturing into my work ever again with a dubious mind set. For those that are curious or whatever, they can see my online update presentation first and then decide if they want to take the plunge into acquiring my book. Stan Shuffett
:---------------

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan -
----------------

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't buy them a thing...they never buy me anything. All I get is those sneers and whines....and insults about my accent.
Glad you drilled 'em so good.
This Hal Hould stuff is the stone cold brazillians...no doubt about it.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

LOL...he was a nice guy. Just so happened he played better than I did but I am the new guy in the league so felt it wouldn't hurt to buy him a beer after the match.
Hal was THE man. It's hard for me, not having a table at home, to really put it to good use but I am getting back into it and it's all coming back to me.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
oh, I agree on both counts (civil in here?! who'd a thunk). My comment was based on having observed the discussion on this topic for years and years. Like I said, one of the reasons we're all here way in the back is because the majority don't care about all the aiming stuff and wanted it removed from the main forum.

Lou Figueroa

To be fair, Lou, the reason majority wasn't tired of reading about aiming, they were tired of the endless fights about aiming in general and CTE in particular. THAT is what got this sub forum created. Not the aiming talk itself.

For those of you who are newer here, if you think the threads you see here are crazy from the fighting, you ain't seen nuthin' compared to "back in the day" and The Great CTE Wars.... THAT is what got this sub forum created. Search CTE here and find threads that were started in the 2000's, and you'll see why. Of course the really spectacular ones were deleted because they got so out-of-hand, but you'll get the idea.

This isn't a direct shot at Lou, I enjoy reading much of Lou's stuff here and we've bantered regularly in a good natured way. I know that I would enjoy playing pool with him (with me racking often) and sharing a beer. Just a commentary on all the forum aiming stuff from an un-biased observer.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, Lou, the reason majority wasn't tired of reading about aiming, they were tired of the endless fights about aiming in general and CTE in particular. THAT is what got this sub forum created. Not the aiming talk itself.

For those of you who are newer here, if you think the threads you see here are crazy from the fighting, you ain't seen nuthin' compared to "back in the day" and The Great CTE Wars.... THAT is what got this sub forum created. Search CTE here and find threads that were started in the 2000's, and you'll see why. Of course the really spectacular ones were deleted because they got so out-of-hand, but you'll get the idea.

This isn't a direct shot at Lou, I enjoy reading much of Lou's stuff here and we've bantered regularly in a good natured way. I know that I would enjoy playing pool with him (with me racking often) and sharing a beer. Just a commentary on all the forum aiming stuff from an un-biased observer.

We will have to agree to disagreed, dub.

Sure the bickering was a problem but just the issue of system aiming in general was a victim of overkill and as a result you ended up with PIITH and HAMB.

Lou Figueroa
first beer is on me

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
hi everyone,

really appreciated the video--
and my expirience is the same like "sixpack" did- it s really a great "tool". Even if I just was able test it a bit on 9 footers :) (no 8er and barboxes available here :p )

Can t wait for Part 2 Stan :) (and the f..ng book- LOL )

a great day to everyone-

p.s.- who the **** invented the Name?`why does that System has such a funny Name? lol?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
We will have to agree to disagreed, dub.

Sure the bickering was a problem but just the issue of system aiming in general was a victim of overkill and as a result you ended up with PIITH and HAMB.

Lou Figueroa

With all the agreeing and disagreeing, put me the column of agreeing with dub.

Dub was being diplomatic but truth be told, every one of those aiming thread explosions had instigating and incendiary posts either started or prolonged by Lou since he joined AZ in 2005.

It was the same starting in 1997 until 2005 at RSB. And here we are today with an aiming forum unto itself and Lou as a "non-aimer" coming into almost every thread with something to harp about. Especially if CTE is involved and it usually gets dragged in.

Don't take my word for it or disbelieve what I say. Forum archives at RSB and AZ will bear it out as the truth.

But you can see it for yourself in THIS THREAD. Stan started a thread for everyone to learn one of Hal Houle's inventions, SHISKEBOB AIMING with a video demonstrating it. Very positive thread with members getting immediate results and looking forward to PART 2 video.

Lou comes in to attack Koop and it's off to the races of another deteriorating thread that started out so positive. Here we are 3 pages later and Lou is still in here sidetracking the entire focus of Shiskebob.

The problem isn't AIMING SYSTEMS, the problem is Lou jumping in to incinerate AIMING THREADS.

Last edited:

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why does that System has such a funny Name? lol?[/QUOTE]
Well shish kabob you put on a skewer. The way you stand on the shot line your vision is slightly skewered..

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
p.s.- who the **** invented the Name?`why does that System has such a funny Name? lol?
Well shish kabob you put on a skewer. The way you stand on the shot line your vision is slightly skewered..

Hal Houle came up with the name. It's a stick aiming system with the cue shaft/tip being the skewer for the CB and OB.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I gave the system a try. Pocketed some balls but also missed a few. I see how it could work for some, but it wasn't for me. I think maybe I'd be better off using the stick version rather than the visual one, so I'm hoping maybe someone will put that up. Maybe I'm just not made for this "visual" sort of stuff. I guess because I have a weak left eye, that may throw me off a bit?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I gave the system a try. Pocketed some balls but also missed a few. I see how it could work for some, but it wasn't for me. I think maybe I'd be better off using the stick version rather than the visual one, so I'm hoping maybe someone will put that up. Maybe I'm just not made for this "visual" sort of stuff. I guess because I have a weak left eye, that may throw me off a bit?

Stan doesn't go into great detail on Part 1 but will on Part 2. However, if you listen carefully and focus on what he's saying, it starts a little after the 4:00 mark when he talks about starting from the inside with the tip of the cue and nose/vision and then pivoting back to center. IOW, the tip of the cue is offset from the inside of center CB aiming at the center of the OB, then you pivot the tip back to the center of the CB.

If you observe what happens when you're down on the ball after pivoting back to center on the CB, the shaft/tip is no longer aiming to the center of the OB. The shaft orientation is now either to the right or left of center OB based on either a right or left cut. The perfect shaft angle to pocket a number of cut angles with a very simple process. You don't want to look for contact points or anything else. When the cut angle is too acute for a center OB alignment, you move to a 1/4 ball alignment from inside and pivoting back to center CB.

Play the video multiple times and listen carefully. Btw, all aiming is visual.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shish Kebob is one of my favorites that Hal taught me. Here it is in written form from an acquaintance who was able to better put it into words.

The different ways to aim are:

1. On very shallow to slight cuts - 1/2 tip of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB- pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

2. Cut angle beyond slight - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to CENTER of OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

3. Sharper cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue 1/2 way between the center of the OB and the edge of the OB - pivot tip back to center of CB - stroke

4. Acute cut angle - ONE TIP (1) of inside english on CB - aim tip of cue to the EDGE of the OB - pivot back to center of CB - stroke

Start out with the CB/OB about 12 - 24" apart when you're first learning all of the angles, aim points, tip offset, etc. in the beginning. As you gradually figure things out and get used to it you can increase the distance. Also go from a very shallow cut to more extreme gradually in order to see when and where you make your adjustments.

I have been working with this for about a week with mixed results. Certainly this system will put balls in the center of the pocket when done correctly. The problem I am having is determining the distinction between above slight, sharper, and acute angles. (2-4 from above)

With this system is there a way to distinguish which step 1-4 (from above), to use. For example, 30 to 45 degree cut would be "sharper cut angle" #3 in Koop's description. Maybe with more table time with the system I can work it out.