HOUSTON/TX PLAYERS - Javier Franco

sibbyjaydee

Shark Bait
Silver Member
Does anybody know the Status on Javier Franco? It is to my understanding that he had a stroke and now has amnesia.

Some players in Houston want to get together and hold a benefit for him, but have no contact information to get intouch with him or his family to arrange this.

If there is someone that might be able to help us contact his family or perhaps a close friend, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Terry

billiardbrain

What the deuce?!?
That's terrible news. I think he is a super guy. I should be able to find some info for you. I just need a little time.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Crazy

sibbyjaydee said:
Does anybody know the Status on Javier Franco? It is to my understanding that he had a stroke and now has amnesia.

Some players in Houston want to get together and hold a benefit for him, but have no contact information to get intouch with him or his family to arrange this.

If there is someone that might be able to help us contact his family or perhaps a close friend, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Terry

I actually match up with one of his close friends whenever I hit Houston. I'll post if I hear anything. Nothing as of now.

Ray

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I hope Javier is OK.

Back in 1981, after a 10 year lay off, I started playing pool again.

I would meet up with Javier 2-3 times a week and practice with him playing 9 ball for $2 a game until I lost $20.

At first, he got that $20 pretty quick but gradually, he took him longer and longer to get it.

But, he ALWAYS got it. LOL

Not many people know this, but back in the early 90's when the McDermott National 9 Ball Tour was in full swing, Javier was "Player of the Year" for one or two seasons. The boy could play and there was no quit in him.

I have no contact info on him but, again, I hope he is alright.

Stones

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sibbyjaydee said:

Thanks,
Terry

We are trying to organize a benefit tournament for him and his family right now. We should know more by app. Monday.

Javier is a good guy and someone I have known for over 25 years. I was shocked to hear of his condition and was furtherly shocked to learn he is 64 years old. I thought he was younger tham my 56 years.

bayoubullet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known Franco for quite sometime. I really miss seeing Franco around the local tournaments in Houston. I'm sure the benifit will go well, because Franco is so well known. Please post when and where this benifit will be held, so my friends and I can spread the news.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
We are trying to organize a benefit tournament for him and his family right now. We should know more by app. Monday.

Javier is a good guy and someone I have known for over 25 years. I was shocked to hear of his condition and was furtherly shocked to learn he is 64 years old. I thought he was younger tham my 56 years.

64 Holy Schmoley!! Larry R pointed him out to me as a real tough player who had played one of his horses back in the 90's. I think it was Tony R. and I think they came out even.

Anyway this was only 2 DCC's ago and i thought he looked 40-45.

Last edited:

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Javier

Bump to the top.

I have not heard anything.

Javier comes in a Slick Willies I frequent in West Houston.

Never seen him where he did not have an ear to ear smile most of the time. He shot a great game of pool as well.

I will keep him in my Prayers.

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He played in Amarillo about 12-15 years ago. He had a very smoothe stroke and played the big table pretty darn good. He ended up having problems with a shortstop from another town on the bar table later that weekend.

bayoubullet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found out this weekend that Franco is doing well. He should be up and around and shooting pool again in about 3 months, according to doctors. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wishing Javier the best. I've known him about 30 years now. He has always been a gentleman and a terrific competitor. And Javier will definitely bet on himself! You have to admire a guy who made a living at this tough sport all his life. And I do!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wishing Javier the best. I've known him about 30 years now. He has always been a gentleman and a terrific competitor. And Javier will definitely bet on himself! You have to admire a guy who made a living at this tough sport all his life. And I do!
Just googled his name to see how he is doing and all this popped up . I use to play him in the Early 90s around Texas . He always backed himself and played really good . Awesome guy / perfect gentleman.. He would always share his spots with me and road stories. Hope he is doing good

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be wrong but I think I remember him winning a tournament at Wagon Wheel Willie's in Atlanta in the early 90's. Lost his first match and won like 13 in a row and I believe he beat Danny damn I cant remember his last name twice to win the tournament. Big left handed guy.

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Javier told me the story of when he decided to play pool full time. I have known Javier since early 80's.

He was picking tomatoes in Florida, making a meager wage daily. Said he went to a bar and won like $250/ I really do not remember exact
amount. Then he said, NO MORE PICKEE TOMATOES ! The way he told it, it was hilarious.

Correction to early 80's above. I remember Javier calling me to come help him with a flat tire while I lived Ft Worth. He was up from Houston
playing in a Texas Express tournament. I moved back to Weatherford in 1980 and I had already known Javier a few years.

NO MORE PICKEE TOMATOES !! Hope you are doing well, Javier

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be wrong but I think I remember him winning a tournament at Wagon Wheel Willie's in Atlanta in the early 90's. Lost his first match and won like 13 in a row and I believe he beat Danny damn I cant remember his last name twice to win the tournament. Big left handed guy.
Atlanta Danny was a funny guy , awesome hustler …. Heard he passed a few years back , RIP ATL Danny

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey Barnes has a funny story about Atlanta Danny😉
I saw Javier play a few times after his health problems , there were glimpses of greatness.