How Adam Japan makes cues

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok so saying you have an adam cue means little unless it was made in the right place. so buyer beware of what and where it was made.

not to say all are bad just not all are the same quality.
i've seen a few of the Chinese built ADAM cues. They are extremely well made. i seriously doubt anyone could tell by playing one where it came from. I'd venture to say that due to modern automated methods the Chinese versions may be even more precisely built. only seen one Musashi in my life and it was a classic 'bushka style. as nice as any custom i've seen. point is that both locations make very high quality products.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats what they showed you. that certainly wasnt the main production line but a custom room or partly made for the video.

and you did get a glimpse of a cnc machine. so must be others that take it farther.

however i would buy a japan cue before a china one. adam wasnt so bad just not real good.
You think they should turn the whole cue down with a chizzle... use manual hand drills. Cut inlay pockets with a razor blade Glue the shit together with egg and honey? They arent m doing anything different than any other cuemaker Lol

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
thats what they showed you. that certainly wasnt the main production line but a custom room or partly made for the video.

and you did get a glimpse of a cnc machine. so must be others that take it farther.

however i would buy a japan cue before a china one. adam wasnt so bad just not real good.
Adam cues were also built in China from the 1990s. Even if they had a “Made in Japan” sticker. The ones I’ve shot with (I own one) are very well made.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if a player is happy with a china made cue more power to them.
to me if pool is your life why not have a custom made cue to what you want.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What's to guarantee the custom cue will be a better playing cue than any mass-produced cue? There isn't.
As far as looks and "bling" goes, depending on the custom cue maker and his reputation within the industry for the skill to craft a knock out design over the years as well as good player, many of the China/Japanese/American made fancy cues are in fact excellent feeling and shooting cues. A custom cue without the "bling" but a variety of woods used is no guarantee that it'll be a good shooter either. More expensive doesn't mean best feeling or best shooter. Why Cuetec for some of the pros? Over the years they've played with Joss, Lucasi, Meucci, McDermott, Schon, Adam, Falcon, etc. that were fancy or plain.
I think the most important aspect of a personal shooting cue is total weight, weight of butt and shaft separately, balance, shaft and tip size, and tip hardness or softness. All personal for each of us and doesn't matter who makes them.
I've used some pool room cues hanging on the wall that I would like to have stolen because they played and felt so good.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because a lot of people cant afford a custom cue.
I can afford a custom cue but to play 4 hours a week on Saturday morning it would be a waste of money my Troy Downey,Lucasi and Schmelke cues are good enough.
Funny thing is the Schmelke is the cheapest of the 3 and it's one I like the best,yeah $231 and it plays just fine.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adam cues were also built in China from the 1990s. Even if they had a “Made in Japan” sticker. The ones I’ve shot with (I own one) are very well made.
does Japan have laws that say if anything on a product is done in Japan you can call it 'made in japan'? i know Brunswick had to take 'Made in USA' off certain products because there wasn't enough US-made content.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does Japan have laws that say if anything on a product is done in Japan you can call it 'made in japan'? i know Brunswick had to take 'Made in USA' off certain products because there wasn't enough US-made content.
I see a lot of labels on products that say"assembled in the USA of globally sourced components"

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, their manufacturing "laws" allows for the "Made in Japan" with a certain amount of work done overseas. Similar as USA manufacturing. I'm not sure how minimum that can get and still be Made in Japan. My Japanese contact tells me that even if it's 99% made outside of Japan, if it's imported into Japan and repackaged, it can be deemed "Made in Japan." I'm sure there are a few grains of salt to that statement, so take it for whatever it's worth.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, their manufacturing "laws" allows for the "Made in Japan" with a certain amount of work done overseas. Similar as USA manufacturing. I'm not sure how minimum that can get and still be Made in Japan. My Japanese contact tells me that even if it's 99% made outside of Japan, if it's imported into Japan and repackaged, it can be deemed "Made in Japan." I'm sure there are a few grains of salt to that statement, so take it for whatever it's worth.
The 'Made in Japan' sticker is probably made in Japan. ;)

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

The US has its own laws and regulations that would prohibut rebranding cues from China with a made in Japan label for sale in the US:

Likewise we have laws that define when and how you can mark something with made in the USA.

But no one enforces any of this (except for the occasional class action lawsuit), so some companies like Brunswick still openly skirt the rules.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US has its own laws and regulations that would prohibut rebranding cues from China with a made in Japan label for sale in the US:

Likewise we have laws that define when and how you can mark something with made in the USA.

But no one enforces any of this (except for the occasional class action lawsuit), so some companies like Brunswick still openly skirt the rules.
GC shipping crates used to say made in us but they had to remove them for lack of domestic content. I don't know what current GC US content is if any.