how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope i am not getting into a slump fellas. Maybe i should take my co captains suggestion and gety head outa my azz.

Last week in 8 ball i faced another 5 in a 4-4 race. He was up 3-0 before i finally got it together and won 4 in a row to win hill- hill.

I played the same guy in 9 ball where he is a 5 and i am a 6. Lemme tell you....i absolutely hate it when i play guy like him. Good shotmaker but absolutely no cue ball control for some one with his handicap. Consequently he gets outa shape a lot and resorts to slop...hitting the objet ball at warp speed and hope something happens. One time he smacked the 5 ball hard it went around the table twice and never fell. I was walking up to the table and he said...i made the 8 ball. Fellas i almost lost it. Couldnt ficus the rest of the match and was lucky i only lost 38-34 in a 38-46 race.

Thus week in 8 ball i faced another 5. He won the first 2 racks....by me scratching on the 8 both times. Fellas i have not scratched on the 8 in years and did it twice in a row.!! I won the next 4 racks in a row to win 4-2.

Then i played their 8 in 9 ball. He breaks dry and i am hooked on the one. I miss a 2 rail kick and he runs the table. From there it goes back and forth with both of us making a few good runs.

Then....he puts up 2 break and and runs on me. He then breaks dry. I run the table . i break dry and he runs 3 balls winning the match 65 -40. A tough loss but i think i played pretty good when i had a chance at the table. I would take losses like this all day long compared to last weeks loss.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I hope i am not getting into a slump fellas. Maybe i should take my co captains suggestion and gety head outa my azz.

Last week in 8 ball i faced another 5 in a 4-4 race. He was up 3-0 before i finally got it together and won 4 in a row to win hill- hill.

I played the same guy in 9 ball where he is a 5 and i am a 6. Lemme tell you....i absolutely hate it when i play guy like him. Good shotmaker but absolutely no cue ball control for some one with his handicap. Consequently he gets outa shape a lot and resorts to slop...hitting the objet ball at warp speed and hope something happens. One time he smacked the 5 ball hard it went around the table twice and never fell. I was walking up to the table and he said...i made the 8 ball. Fellas i almost lost it. Couldnt ficus the rest of the match and was lucky i only lost 38-34 in a 38-46 race.

Thus week in 8 ball i faced another 5. He won the first 2 racks....by me scratching on the 8 both times. Fellas i have not scratched on the 8 in years and did it twice in a row.!! I won the next 4 racks in a row to win 4-2.

Then i played their 8 in 9 ball. He breaks dry and i am hooked on the one. I miss a 2 rail kick and he runs the table. From there it goes back and forth with both of us making a few good runs.

Then....he puts up 2 break and and runs on me. He then breaks dry. I run the table . i break dry and he runs 3 balls winning the match 65 -40. A tough loss but i think i played pretty good when i had a chance at the table. I would take losses like this all day long compared to last weeks loss.

best advice i can give is stop playing 9 ball
cause 9 ball sucks

i had a 3 do that shit to me on a tournment, loser side of course
she shit in 2 9s that would make a trick shot artist feel shame. the 9 wasnt anywhere near a pocket either times
never seen anything like it but knew it would happen.
old ladies that can barely hold a stick are my nemesis on the loser side of this particular 9b tournament

Rusty in Montana

I feel your pain when playing some older ladies , one comes to mind that you hope and pray to win the coin toss so you get to break instead of her breaking when she does it's hardly legal and if you didn't know better you'd swear she was playing 14.1 ha ha

I've been doing better in both leagues winning 14 out of 16 games played I hope to continue to improve as the weather improves , arthritis is a real pain when it's in both hands ! Ha ha

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best advice i can give is stop playing 9 ball
cause 9 ball sucks

i had a 3 do that shit to me on a tournment, loser side of course
she shit in 2 9s that would make a trick shot artist feel shame. the 9 wasnt anywhere near a pocket either times
never seen anything like it but knew it would happen.
old ladies that can barely hold a stick are my nemesis on the loser side of this particular 9b tournament

Yea i agree 9 ball can really suck sometimes.

Then i have nights ljke last night. I faced another 6 and won 46-25. Everything was working for me. Breaks were great. .shotmaking was great. Cue ball control was great. But to be honest...my opponent did not play very good for a 6. I have never played him before so i have no idea how good he is. He could have been dumping on me or nust having a bad night...lord knows i have had my share of bad nights.

Then i faced him later in 8 ball. We are both 5's. Damn if he wasnt shooting like a 6 most of the match. It went back and forth. He won rack 1. I won rack 2. He won rack 3 and i won rack 4. Then i turned it into a chess match and started locking bim up. Won the next 2 to win the match 4-2.

Speaking of old ladies. The toughest win i have ever had was when i played this 4 and a half foot tall old lady who looled to be 80 years old. This was at the napa nationals when they held the big foot tournament in tupelo miss.

I believe she was crom oklahoma. The match went over 4 hours wity me winning 4-3 in a 4-4 race i believe. No slow play ...just an ungodly amount of safes played by both of us.

They let me have a 5 minute break before my next match. My next opponent had sat and watched our match for 2 hours he said. I lost the next one hill -hill and finished in 4th place.

I was so wore out but had the best time in my life playing pool.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Tonight I didn't want to but pretty much forced to play on the shit bar table.
Again, uncontrollable conditions, say for the first game I ran out, each game after every safe over runs position selling out. No more run outs because the heavy ball just keeps drifting out of position because I don't play there.

You can say adapt all you want, I can't, your gonna have to show me how you come to an unfamiliar table and just deal with unknown conditions, playing against the home teams 7 that knows the house cue ball much better than me.

Can't stand losing when the table robs me over and over. On the year I'm 100 percent losing streak on all shit bar tables.

Like I've said before I've sworn them off strictly, but being the captain and the highest player left, I had to play the 7 they put up

He's beatable, and I likey chances better on our home tables that are predictable conditions.

Gd shit bar tables , can't get em

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Tonight I didn't want to but pretty much forced to play on the shit bar table.
Again, uncontrollable conditions, say for the first game I ran out, each game after every safe over runs position selling out. No more run outs because the heavy ball just keeps drifting out of position because I don't play there.

You can say adapt all you want, I can't, your gonna have to show me how you come to an unfamiliar table and just deal with unknown conditions, playing against the home teams 7 that knows the house cue ball much better than me.

Can't stand losing when the table robs me over and over. On the year I'm 100 percent losing streak on all shit bar tables.

Like I've said before I've sworn them off strictly, but being the captain and the highest player left, I had to play the 7 they put up

He's beatable, and I likey chances better on our home tables that are predictable conditions.

Gd shit bar tables , can't get em
You gotta Adapt!(I had to do it…)

You probably ran out game 1 because you weren’t really thinking about it.

BlueRaider

Registered
How many of you guys play league on 9' tables?

I'm on 7' Diamonds with league-cut pockets. They are honestly easier than Valley bar boxes because the side pockets are big, too.

I previously played on 8' tables and thought they were perfect for league. 9 ball on 9' tables among lower-skill levels can be brutal to watch. If they run 3 balls in an inning, it's a miracle.

But at the same time I like how the bigger tables increase the apparent skill gap. I've seen 2s clear all 7 of their balls when someone runs down to the 8 and misses, but I can't imagine that would be very common on a 9'.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You gotta Adapt!(I had to do it…)

You probably ran out game 1 because you weren’t really thinking about it.

It was all open stop shots,
Next game same thing but I missed a shot I shouldn't have, even from the rail and I just got pissed and let it snow ball from there

And if it wasn't all stop shots the heavy ball always drifted out of position and I couldn't recover , plus being upset didn't help.

He was totally beatable last night, I blew my chance, but I'll get my rematch

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member

I'm on 7' Diamonds with league-cut pockets. They are honestly easier than Valley bar boxes because the side pockets are big, too.

I previously played on 8' tables and thought they were perfect for league. 9 ball on 9' tables among lower-skill levels can be brutal to watch. If they run 3 balls in an inning, it's a miracle.

But at the same time I like how the bigger tables increase the apparent skill gap. I've seen 2s clear all 7 of their balls when someone runs down to the 8 and misses, but I can't imagine that would be very common on a 9'.
I play most league on 8fters,
And I try and skip the nights we go to shit bar tables

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
It was all open stop shots,
Next game same thing but I missed a shot I shouldn't have, even from the rail and I just got pissed and let it snow ball from there

And if it wasn't all stop shots the heavy ball always drifted out of position and I couldn't recover , plus being upset didn't help.

He was totally beatable last night, I blew my chance, but I'll get my rematch
I only said that because I was at my first tournament in years about 6 mos ago. Playing first match on a 9’ Diamond. Well the first few shots I was feeling good. Then I realized the pockets were only 4-1/4 and overthinking it got the best of me. I started missing straight in shots after that. Too worried about the tight pockets.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I only said that because I was at my first tournament in years about 6 mos ago. Playing first match on a 9’ Diamond. Well the first few shots I was feeling good. Then I realized the pockets were only 4-1/4 and overthinking it got the best of me. I started missing straight in shots after that. Too worried about the tight pockets.

Confidence is big and I've been grasping that alot more recently.

Even overheard a local pro that's over 700 say it.
You've got to play pool with confidence

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

We do. Most of the places in Maine that I've been to for league have 9's... 7's are a rare thing 'round here. Our primary room put one 7' table in for teams to use to get ready before they go to nationals, as most of us rarely if ever play on them. The casual bar crowd likes it too.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member

All the halls in my area are 9'. My hall is all 9' 4.5" pockets. However the pockets are not cut perfectly so some tables spit balls out regularly.

Inhouse league 3-4 nights a week. Scotch Doubles, singles, teams. No league for me this session. I had some minor surgery yesterday and have 2 more booked. Nothing major, but 4 inch stitches on my back right now. No way to get over a table.

dquarasr

Registered
9-ball: started out great against a 6 (I'm a 5), race was 38-46. I got up 20-10, opponent was cold, I was OK. The longer I played the worse I got. Opponent found his stroke. I lost 34-46. But the way I lost was hysterical. In the last rack, I needed 4 balls, he needed 2. He broke dry. I had a great look at the 1, which would have easily led to the four-ball run I needed. But I had a total unmitigated disaster of a brain fart. Without thinking, I picked up the CB like I had ball in hand, and moved it so I could get an even better shot at the 1. Opponent is "Hey, Doug, what are you doing?" "Um, I don't know. Total brain fart. I play the ghost a lot at home, and after I break I do ball in hand. Sorry, I don't know why I did that. Force of habit." Of course, he runs his two easy shots for a loss.

Then in 8-ball, played an even race to 3 in SL4-SL4 matchup. Got down 2 racks to nil, then found my stroke, won the next two, hill-hill. Lost the last rack and the match. Ugh. Sometimes I suck; sometimes I'm grand.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Finally found a 600 tonight and I choked. My win from last week in 8 wasn’t put in yet so I was still a 3. Won the 8 ball match 2-1. Then played 9 and got toasted. That 600 broke and ran first one. Then my next 2-3 shots I wasn’t just safetied. He legitimately put me in prison. He played 1-2 more safes. By then it was 30-0. I broke dry with the 1 ball hanging in a pocket one game and missed 2 shots I shouldn’t have. That was all she wrote. Finally a real game!. lost 55-14 in 9 innings. That guy has to be a 9. But on a better note told him I’d give him the 8 race to five after for $50 and he wouldn’t play me…maybe did me a favor after the drinks…next week I’m staying sober.

Last edited: