how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Little update on that APA league I joined. My woes continued this weekend. I just can’t win 8 ball. These rules can seriously change a game. Now I think I finally know them all. Today found out

1) no roll outs in 9ball
2) you get 2 chances to break if you miscue
3) 2 4’s only race to 3 not 4 in 8.
4) no 3 foul

None of these rules make a lot of sense to me. Especially why not just race to 4. 3 game race isn’t much and you have to pay dues to play. Should be race 4. I think Even 2 3’s should race to 4. Some of the matches today went way over an hour. It was getting kind of stupid. But IMO 2 4’s really should be 4/4 not 3/3. On the 2 break chances. Idk. If your opponent is on hill and miscues their break who here is giving them another crack at it when not in league?

Anyway. today I won my 9 ball match by 10 balls. Then 8 ball came. Ran the rack and accidentally double nipped the 8 into the side on a long shot down the rail in game one. Darn! Game 2 my opponent slopped his first to last ball(game changer on bs rule) then proceeded to win. Game 3 he scratched the 8 after making a great kick shot I had left him with. A 4 doesn’t usually make that shot. So he deserved the game, but choked. Won game 4. Then hill/hill I get up to break. Worst case scenario. What happens. 8 on the break and scratch!. Oh well. I should’ve used the 2 chances to break rule. Can I do that? Boom the break then say I miscued and need it back? I’ll try next time😉Maybe league isn’t my thing. My enemy was playing decent for a 4. Pushing a light 5, but 1 of his 3 wins never happens without that slop rule. I think 8-9 innings total on the match. It was quick.
No more complaining here. I hope everyone else is doing better in league and I’ll save the next update a few weeks out when my levels level………………Good luck!🍀
All the APA matches are races to less than your Skill Level, usually by 1 (with a couple exceptions with higher level vs lower level players). SL5 vs SL5 is race to four, for instance. 8-ball, obviously. As someone pointed out, the goal is to get a competitive match in without having the night run too late. And even then it can run late at times...

3-foul and Push-Out are considered a distinct advantage to higher skill level players, and APA is targeted at beginners.

Pretty sure your "two miscue" break rule is a local bylaw. The national rules state that the game doesn't begin until a legal break is made and four balls hit a rail. No matter how many times you miscue. Again, striving for simplicity, I believe.

Hope you can find some fun in your league, even if you aren't happy with some of the rules. Good luck!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You realize that you provided the reasoning behind the shorter race along with the your criticism, right...? APA nights are already painfully long. I don't want to imagine how much worse it would be if they lengthened SL 2,3 or even 4's sets. I understand your thoughts about them paying the same weekly dues, but if it's about table time, then they have nothing to cripe about as they usually get more than anyone else...lol.

The biggest issue I have with messing with handicapped races by shortening them is that in every case the lower level player gets an even bigger advantage. Lets say a 7 plays a 4, they both drop 1 for the match race.

The 4 just dropped another 25% of their handicap, the 7 dropped less than15% of the handicap, thus giving the 4 even more of a spread in handicap.

And if a 3 plays a 7, well now you got a 2-6 race where the 3 drops 33% of the skill to the 15% of the 7.

This is all in addition to the fact the higher lvl player spends more time getting better and is already giving free games to others.

dquarasr

Registered
I play once weekly in a “double jeopardy“ APA league, juggling 8- and 9-ball matches. We don’t usually have long nights because of juggling both 8 and 9. We start at 7pm. I am captain of the 9-ball team, so I often don’t leave until well after midnight. Five hours for 5 matches is long enough.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I did good in league last night. I was finally playing in stroke without mentally sabotaging myself with thinking!!! I won all 3 sets.

Races are to 3, but could be handicapped to 2 depending on skill level. There are no races over 3, even if you're basically a master player you have to play to 3. What really annoyed me was they put me as a 2. 😰 I've only subbed and done one tournament in this league. I've never sand bagged but I've only played as a sub and usually on short notice so I guess it has me pegged as worse than I'd like to think I play. It annoys me but I guess I should enjoy it (yuck) til the math does it's thing.

I knew it was going to be a good night because on the first shot I looked at those Valley 5" pockets looked like they were 8" across.

First set, played a good player (3), he won the first game (I may have scratched while on the 8 and gave BIH, can't remember exactly but I did the dumb 🙄), I won the next 2. Kept control of the table leaving no great bargains for my opponent. I had to make a hero spot shot on the final 8 with CB within 1/8" of being frozen to the rail. I don't know why I leave myself this garbage! 😅 I made it. I had to really turn the CB loose and it almost went 3 rails and scratched. Thank goodness for slow cloth. CB was still 14" or so from falling, but it was dead on the track to center pocket. I won 2-1.

Second set. I'm not sure how good he was as I've never seen him play before but he played pretty sporty(3). The balls clustered up so I never let him have a shot other than ridiculous low probability that could scratch and would break out problem areas even with a legal hit. I won 2-0.

Third set against a really good player (3). We had some safety exchanges but I made sure to leave just enough "meat on the bones" for it to be tempting. If he takes the temptation it's likely to either miss, scratch, or disturb balls that were problems for me. Same as with match 2, I was able to kept control of the table, played 2 way shots on difficult shots so CB never looked nice for my opponent. I also purposely selected a pattern that wouldn't leave a shot if the OB didn't fall. I won 2-0.

I was just basically in dead stroke and not making any strategy errors. There was no thinking while shooting or even addressing the ball. I was only leaving traps or beyond hero shots for my opponent. The only thing that sort of sucks is that I know I could have won on a non handicap race to 3. I hope this damn math catches up soon because it feels pretty chump like to only have to go to 2.

I've been playing a lot of 9B lately but the guys I practice with just beat my ass relentlessly. It felt pretty good to actually win something for once! Hell, I'm doing good to get 10 on a race to 20 and they love to remind me they doubled my score or kept me at single digits! 🤣 If I'm shooting lights out I might get 15 but I better be just dead stroke with focus to spare. I guess it's been good to play with people who just relentless beat my ass with no mercy, but it's sure tough. 😵‍💫

BlueRaider

Registered
I play once weekly in a “double jeopardy“ APA league, juggling 8- and 9-ball matches. We don’t usually have long nights because of juggling both 8 and 9. We start at 7pm. I am captain of the 9-ball team, so I often don’t leave until well after midnight. Five hours for 5 matches is long enough.
I play in a DJ league as well. By far the best deal out there when it comes to budgeting your competitive pool time. Out of around 20 weeks I've played, I've played at least one match 100% of the time and both matches probably 90% of the time. It also helps that 9 ball typically finishes faster, so we'll usually have our last two 8-ball matches running concurrently. And I've also noticed that because we've got two matches going at once, there's a lot less pressure because there are fewer eyes on you. When I played in a cash 9-ball league, I'd look up and realize there were 15 people watching my match.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The USAPL and BCA is almost the same with how you can loose but also opposite, you can win every game by actually making the winning 8 or 9 but still lose on points. So normal strategy in something like 8 ball where you let the weaker guy clear some stuff out for you does not work as a high handicap in USAPL vs a weak player since those few they clear for you can be like 1/3 of their whole match and you need to win 7 games outright to win. I have won every game in a match and still ended up losing due to the players making a few balls here and there.

One league night for me was really funny, there is a point limit in USAPL like most leagues, you can still play but you get penalized for going over. One time we only had some stronger players that were there so we went over the team limit. We played, we won every match by like 5-1, 5-2 in games won, but lost the night because of the handicaps and the penalty for going over the limit once the points were all added up LOL Communism at it's best, work hard, get good, beat the ass off someone, and they get handed the win.
This depends on the league setup. This was happening for a while in my area when the hall had 3-10 handicap. Ball count really mattered. I mean, a three is then being spotted 7 balls.

They moved basically using fargo, but it works like 300-450 are 3-4. 450-550 are 4-5. 550-650 are 5-6. Etc. So ball count isn't are excessive. And usually tourneys are race to handicap.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the TAP 8 ball league I joined to help a friend out, one of the players lost his match due to missing a ball in hand shot, and said he hates 8 ball, it takes no skill to win according to him and wants to only play 9 ball. I'm not sure how to get across to him that he has it exactly backwards LOL Going from a called shot game were the player has to run out his side first to a slop game where you can make 1-2 easy balls and win after the other player ran out 7 for you.

I mean if you miss a ball in hand shot or mess up an easy run, you are not really going to win in any game. He is not a bad player and has been learning very quickly, but seems to expect to not lose and play as good as those that were playing years longer than him. I think the biggest issue is the drinking with him, he is all ready to learn and practice, but in a match he starts drinking and gets upset and angry at the game.

A lot of players seems to take a bad set on a league night as the only time they ever played and base all of their career in pool on that one set LOL

I was playing pretty badly at the start last night but was also not getting any open layouts in 8 ball at all, I did not make a single ball on the break, and left wide open tables for my opponent, who then usually missed and created a mess for me to deal with LOL I was spotting him a game but finally had a few more open racks I ran out to beat him with both of us on the hill (4-5 race). I was teaching the other guy and I think he expects to be also able to run out open tables like someone that has played for 30 years.

BlueRaider

Registered
Brag alert!

I'm in my third APA session and an SL 6/7. Had my all-time best night of league tonight (counting 5 years of a cash league) and probably my best stretch of pool ever.

Rackless 5-0 vs. a 3 in 8 ball and 19-1 vs. a 3 in 9 ball (he was one point away from it being a 20-0...I also lost the 9-ball lag or else it would have been double rackless).

I didn't miss in either match. My innings ended either on a won game, a safety, or hooking myself and having to kick, which did happen a few times in 9 ball (that said, I did put myself into a couple of game-losing scenarios in 8 ball and got a bit lucky that he wasn't able to clear his suite and get on the 8. A better player would have punished me for sure).

I also had a 2-pack in 9-ball, 2 9s on the break, and at one point the score was 35-0.

Brag alert!

I'm in my third APA session and an SL 6/7. Had my all-time best night of league tonight (counting 5 years of a cash league) and probably my best stretch of pool ever.

Rackless 5-0 vs. a 3 in 8 ball and 19-1 vs. a 3 in 9 ball (he was one point away from it being a 20-0...I also lost the 9-ball lag or else it would have been double rackless).

I didn't miss in either match. My innings ended either on a won game, a safety, or hooking myself and having to kick, which did happen a few times in 9 ball (that said, I did put myself into a couple of game-losing scenarios in 8 ball and got a bit lucky that he wasn't able to clear his suite and get on the 8. A better player would have punished me for sure).

I also had a 2-pack in 9-ball, 2 9s on the break, and at one point the score was 35-0.
You sure you’re a 6/7?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I think I'm on the verge of 7/8. Last night may have been enough for those bumps to happen. I have fewer than 20 matches in each game and my inning count usually isn't super low.
I am and have been a 6/7 for a long time (6 or 7 years). I have had nights like the one you mentioned a few posts ago. It happens, just not very often.

If you are young and have a desire to learn all that you can about the game, it's very possible you will eventually become a 7/8 (or 9), if you're not actually one already and just haven't been calculated up yet as mentioned.

My age and physical impairments finally caught up to me. I didn't actually start playing pool with the intention of getting better until I was 53 years old. Now, fast approaching 69, I have more problems than a math book.

Still love playing the game though! Good luck....and have FUN!!!

Maniac

BlueRaider

Registered
I am and have been a 6/7 for a long time (6 or 7 years). I have had nights like the one you mentioned a few posts ago. It happens, just not very often.

If you are young and have a desire to learn all that you can about the game, it's very possible you will eventually become a 7/8 (or 9), if you're not actually one already and just haven't been calculated up yet as mentioned.

My age and physical impairments finally caught up to me. I didn't actually start playing pool with the intention of getting better until I was 53 years old. Now, fast approaching 69, I have more problems than a math book.

Still love playing the game though! Good luck....and have FUN!!!

Maniac
Yes, it's quite possible I won't go up for a while, if at all. I'm 14-3 in 8 ball and 16-3 in 9 ball all time. But apparently inning count matters more, and I don't know if mine are low enough to go up.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brag alert!

A two pack isn't shabby in 9 ball. I would think you should have been an 8 at least in 9 ball 🤷‍♂️

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brag alert!

9 on the break is likely the 3 having no idea how to rack LOL but running two racks is very good, even on the 7 foot tables APA tends to be played on. In fact in some places with the crappy tables it may be harder to run out than on a properly setup 9 footer where you are not guessing how many inches or roll the balls will have.

And it's funny that in the APA a 9 on the break is not even a win but 2 points, you can make the 9 in every game and it will take many of those to win.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In fact in some places with the crappy tables it may be harder to run out than on a properly setup 9 footer where you are not guessing how many inches or roll the balls will have.
Don't forget trying to bank or kick on those shitty cushions.

BlueRaider

Registered
9 on the break is likely the 3 having no idea how to rack LOL but running two racks is very good, even on the 7 foot tables APA tends to be played on. In fact in some places with the crappy tables it may be harder to run out than on a properly setup 9 footer where you are not guessing how many inches or roll the balls will have.

And it's funny that in the APA a 9 on the break is not even a win but 2 points, you can make the 9 in every game and it will take many of those to win.
Yes, I actually get a little annoyed when I make the 9 on the break and have good shape on the 1 ball! I feel like it can actually cost me points if the layout is otherwise good. Breaking actually scares me a little in APA 9 ball because of the lack of a pushout.