how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't know numbers. However I do know that the local CPA(APA) LO doesn't have a day job and manages to support his home/family. I've heard rumours of his income driven by the several leagues he runs. Again though, I don't know numbers so I won't comment beyond that. I don't see any problem with LOs being compensated on proportional level. It's a ton of effort and anyone running >10 leagues continuously throughout the year should be recouping something for their time. If not making a living.
I always try to gently point out to the complainers "you try managing a league filled with crying pool players...they deserve all they get out of running this" 😉

Obviously, the work that goes into managing a successful APA franchise is huge. Our LOs had 30 different divisions in the Spring Session, a bit fewer for the summer, unsurprisingly. That's a lot of teams, a lot of players.

And if I recall correctly, APA franchise holders have to pay for the rights to their territory, so its kinda difficult to do it simply "for the love of the game", unless they're ridiculously wealthy.

shooter_Hans

I don't play league but I play in weekly tournaments and boy have I've been sucking. I have a tendency to play down to a player's level.

I can't get over that hump. If you watch my matches I'm that guy that makes 70 to 90% of the balls during a match but the last two balls I can miss and its all over from there.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I don't play league but I play in weekly tournaments and boy have I've been sucking. I have a tendency to play down to a player's level.

I can't get over that hump.
💯 mental. I was doing the same until I finally said “f it” now my fargorate is slowly creeping up each tournament I play in. I’ve been told I need to stop feeling bad for opponents more than a few times.

Last edited:

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing in Germany and started the season with a new team. So I had to start in the lowest division with this team. Our team is to good for this league and will promote in the next higher league in the next season. It's not easy to play against beginners and frustrating for them to loose so high against so much higher ranked players.

In singles I will play the qualification for the senior state championchips in 8- 9- and 10-Ball.
Little update:
- Four Team games are left in this season but we have already enough points to promote in the next higher league for next season.
- I am qualified for the senior state championchips in 10-Ball and my Team qualified for the state championchips (8-Ball Team).

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I started my team 6 years ago with my best buddies. Play one night during the week, and 1 or 2 weekends a year for tourneys.

I got 2 very active teenagers. I coach many of their teams.

It is frustrating, but the APA is a money making business. The more they can force you to create new teams, the more money they make. Just the way it is.

For me personally, I have my own diamond table at home. I practice a lot. League is an opportunity to get out and see how the practice is translating to match play. I ain't ever going to make a living playing pool, and I don't fancy myself ever being in a Rocky type situation where I will come from nowhere and win the US Open. APA is a fun night out with my buddies. My goal is to be the best player I can be, and I pay very little attention to the things that upset a lot of the league detractors. Sandbagging? Doesn't bother me a bit. My goal is to blow my opponent off the table, if he wants to make it easier on me, fine by me.

There is plenty of low stakes action after the league matches. A SL 4 on my team won a race to 9 for $500 bucks last Monday night against a SL 6, getting 3 games on the wire. The SL 7 on my team is a 680 FR and will play just about anybody. Lost 2k playing Roberto Gomez on the big table last year and another 1200 playing him on the bar table. Barely ever got to the table, but it was fun to see.

League is what you make it. Sounds like you are in a perfect situation for you. Good Luck(y)
I feel ya here. I'm really keeping myself busy these days and am in the process of picking up the wreckage of my life as this divorce process unfolds. So in the process of reinventing myself, I intend on occupying my time hiking, camping, attending live music shows, and of course pool. On the pool front, I've been trying to bear down hard and practice up, but we all know how limiting a full time job will be to one's pool game. I find myself oddly unmotivated by money (heresy in the pool world I know)....so I am really only playing for the enjoyment of the game itself. Yes, I will play cheap sets and I do enjoy a good ring game (split the cash with another decent shooter in a ring game a few weeks back...ring games are to me the pool equivalent of the energy at a craps table, which I enjoy----or used to , lol).

So that said, I find myself really hitting the ceiling of what is possible with my level of commitment to the game, though I do seem to be making some incremental gains and becoming more consistent, so perhaps the ceiling is a moving taget? I intend on doubling down on drills, league play, perhaps some more formal coaching (when I finally get control of my damn finances...:mad:), and I want to play at least the open tournaments at my local pool room, which is quite nice, but unfortunately are all bar box events (oh well, at least they have them). I do strongly prefer 9' pool, but whatever...it's a hobby after all.

So I need 53 more games to have an established Fargo rating evidently. Fargo is telling me that my recent 35 games (7 nights of BCA 8 ball league) has risen my rating to an absurd 711 (good #'s for the come out roll in craps though...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)...which I strongly feel is overrating my ability, and only reflects 100% league 8 ball play and nothing else, as I've kind of been living under a rock for the last decade as far as pool is concerned. That said, I've been playing better and do seem to be on the slight improve, so that's really the main thing. I will enjoy the tournaments, but truthfully, I really just continue to enjoy knocking balls around and kind of dislike all of the sitting around that happens in tournies.

Anyway, jokrswyde, you called it...pool (and life really) are to an extent what you make of it. I'll never be a champ, but hey, who cares...I'm enjoying the process...and I'm REALLY enjoying breaking and running more often...:).

Cheers boyz,

Neil

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel ya here. I'm really keeping myself busy these days and am in the process of picking up the wreckage of my life as this divorce process unfolds. So in the process of reinventing myself, I intend on occupying my time hiking, camping, attending live music shows, and of course pool. On the pool front, I've been trying to bear down hard and practice up, but we all know how limiting a full time job will be to one's pool game. I find myself oddly unmotivated by money (heresy in the pool world I know)....so I am really only playing for the enjoyment of the game itself. Yes, I will play cheap sets and I do enjoy a good ring game (split the cash with another decent shooter in a ring game a few weeks back...ring games are to me the pool equivalent of the energy at a craps table, which I enjoy----or used to , lol).

So that said, I find myself really hitting the ceiling of what is possible with my level of commitment to the game, though I do seem to be making some incremental gains and becoming more consistent, so perhaps the ceiling is a moving taget? I intend on doubling down on drills, league play, perhaps some more formal coaching (when I finally get control of my damn finances...:mad:), and I want to play at least the open tournaments at my local pool room, which is quite nice, but unfortunately are all bar box events (oh well, at least they have them). I do strongly prefer 9' pool, but whatever...it's a hobby after all.

So I need 53 more games to have an established Fargo rating evidently. Fargo is telling me that my recent 35 games (7 nights of BCA 8 ball league) has risen my rating to an absurd 711 (good #'s for the come out roll in craps though...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)...which I strongly feel is overrating my ability, and only reflects 100% league 8 ball play and nothing else, as I've kind of been living under a rock for the last decade as far as pool is concerned. That said, I've been playing better and do seem to be on the slight improve, so that's really the main thing. I will enjoy the tournaments, but truthfully, I really just continue to enjoy knocking balls around and kind of dislike all of the sitting around that happens in tournies.

Anyway, jokrswyde, you called it...pool (and life really) are to an extent what you make of it. I'll never be a champ, but hey, who cares...I'm enjoying the process...and I'm REALLY enjoying breaking and running more often...:).

Cheers boyz,

Neil
Stay the course, my friend. I am in the same boat. Just had the 1 year of my divorce being final after a 20 year marriage. TO this day I am finding out (and paying for) the wreckage my ex caused with our finances. It is truly a nightmare. But if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, I will continue to get up one more time than I get knocked down.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Stay the course, my friend. I am in the same boat. Just had the 1 year of my divorce being final after a 20 year marriage. TO this day I am finding out (and paying for) the wreckage my ex caused with our finances. It is truly a nightmare. But if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, I will continue to get up one more time than I get knocked down.
Oh man...I'm sorry to hear that. 20 year marriage here as well, now landing with a resounding thud in a desert of chaos. My wife overdrew our bank account twice in the last 30 days, somehow unplugged our chest freezer allowing $400 worth of food to spoil (including the damn brisket I was going to smoke) and managed to mow over our garden shed shackle lock and keys and more general chaos....:oops::oops::oops:. I'm trying my best to stay the course. I'm in a very, very similar boat as yours for sure. Like you, I shall continue to put one foot in front of the other. Have a great holiday weekend my friend, I intend on doing the same despite it all dammit.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
One of the leagues I play in and have played the longest in is a bar league. No hopes for Vegas, no cash prizes, no acceptance in the Fargo world. Just a bunch of people playing pool and having fun.

The team I am on won the 1st place trophy. 🏆

IMG_8889.jpeg

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Well not league but an APA qualifier. 16 person final chance board. Seeded by handicap. Played a guy that was up to a 9 and just dropped down to an 8. Was down 20 balls or so. Came back to win 65-61. Then strategically dismantled a 7 for a spot in the regionals.

It was one of those days though. No warm up. Missed some easy ones. But man I was playing safes like a frickin monster today. Gotta go with what’s working.