how are ya'll doing in league ?

eprince

Registered
APA Double jeopordy

The summer session, my 9 ball team qualified for tri-cups, where we went and won, qualifying us for city, the last step to qualify for a trip to Vegas. City will be May 30- June 1. This past session, we won 1st place in 9 ball, re-qualifying us for tri-cups, despite not needing to go to it and also despite the fact that the bar tri-cups is held at is one of the worst around, but it is the one with the most tables. We also, however, qualified for tri-cups in 8 ball. My 9 ball team is going to get a little hectic though. The skill levels are as follows for next session: 7, 7, 6(me as captain), 6, 5, 3, 3(new player next session, established in 8 ball as a 3), 2. Last session, we started with 6, 6, 5, 4 (me, yes I jumped 2 skill levels in one session, but that's what happens when you go 20 of 21 in matches played in 2 sessions), 4, 2, 2. So we all improved in skill level, which I hope does not hurt us in city.

I am joining a league new to my area called NAPA (any thoughts?) for a 10 ball league that starts Thursday the 16th. I am definitely looking forward to it. The league operator was looking to do a masters style laggers' choice league, which he got for Wednesday nights. But I told him I was mainly interested in the possible 10 ball. So he asked around, added a 10 ball league, and had double the turn out for the 10 ball league as opposed to his laggers choice league. A little proud of myself for calling that one. :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The summer session, my 9 ball team qualified for tri-cups, where we went and won, qualifying us for city, the last step to qualify for a trip to Vegas. City will be May 30- June 1. This past session, we won 1st place in 9 ball, re-qualifying us for tri-cups, despite not needing to go to it and also despite the fact that the bar tri-cups is held at is one of the worst around, but it is the one with the most tables. We also, however, qualified for tri-cups in 8 ball. My 9 ball team is going to get a little hectic though. The skill levels are as follows for next session: 7, 7, 6(me as captain), 6, 5, 3, 3(new player next session, established in 8 ball as a 3), 2. Last session, we started with 6, 6, 5, 4 (me, yes I jumped 2 skill levels in one session, but that's what happens when you go 20 of 21 in matches played in 2 sessions), 4, 2, 2. So we all improved in skill level, which I hope does not hurt us in city.

I am joining a league new to my area called NAPA (any thoughts?) for a 10 ball league that starts Thursday the 16th. I am definitely looking forward to it. The league operator was looking to do a masters style laggers' choice league, which he got for Wednesday nights. But I told him I was mainly interested in the possible 10 ball. So he asked around, added a 10 ball league, and had double the turn out for the 10 ball league as opposed to his laggers choice league. A little proud of myself for calling that one. :)

glad to see you are joining napa....although i love apa i think napa is the best league out there. i really like laggers choice due to the strategy of choosing which game to play. also you can qualify for nationals in all 3 diciplines.

we lost 9 ball playoffs last night...got 1 more session to try for cities. my 8 ball team is already qualified for cities.

good luck to you.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am just curious how some of you guys are playing and hoe some people respond without this going to another league bashing thread. feel free to respond no matter what league.

i was playing 5 times a week and cut out fri night scotch doubles double jeapordy last session. i just finished up in house bcapl points based money league and also dropping it too.

it seemed like i was just getting wore out playing so much and working 5 days a week also.

i play sunday night apa double jeapordy, tue night apa 8 ball travel and sat napa. i am captain of the sunday night and sat napa teams.

i started out slow on sun night 9 ball losing my 1st 3.. winning 1 .. losing 1 and then winning my last 6 in a row. i have really come on strong lately beating a 7 by a score of 17-3 and 2 5's both by a score of 18-2. my co-captain asked me to sit out last sun night 9 ball because he is afraid of me going up to a 6 in playoffs lol. with him just being raised to a 9 and us just losing our 1 who quit he is afraid of us not making the 23 limit.

sun night 8 ball i have not been doing too good. record of 4-6 so far with me winning last sun night against another tough 5 by a score of 4-3. i was on the verge of losing until he rattled the pocket on his last ball with me on the 8 which i made with no problem.

last night on my travel team i faced a 5 ...winning 4-2 in 10 innings with 1 break and run. i have not played 8 ball that good in a while.

well i look forward to my sat napa league where i will probably gat my ass kicked like i normally do. a lot of real good players in that league... what wins i have gotten did not come easy.

i would love to hear how some of you guys are doing.
Our BCA League starts tonight. I'll let you know.:)

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our BCA League starts tonight. I'll let you know.:)

Yep, new sessions should be starting soon.

APA 8-ball starts tomorrow and 9-ball starts Wednesday in our division. Home game Tuesday and a BYE Wednesday. I was looking forward to playing APA 9-ball for the first time too! :(

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
This is our last week of the fall session for our APA leagues here. Sadly, neither my 8 or 9 ball teams will make the playoffs, unless we luck into the wild card drawing...

On a personal basis, my 8-ball session sucked, about 40%. Had a better 9-ball session, close to 70% this time. That should get me into the Best of the Best tourney for the session (top 20 finishers that had at least 7 matches played).

I too am looking forward to a new session.

Last edited:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA league starts either the 15th or 22nd. I'm hoping for the 22nd; I sprained my left thumb pretty bad this weekend and can't make a bridge.

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an 8 in APA 9 ball. New session starts on the 16th. Last session I had 1 mini slam, 7 break and runs and 2 9 breaks. Sounds pretty good except I lost too many, always by 3 to 5 balls. Sitting at 56%. My 8 ball night was worse.

I'm hoping that less personal distractions this year will help my game. Better job, better hours, split nights out late right before an early work day. Best of all a no drama relationship and a recently installed table in my home.

Time will tell.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an 8 in APA 9 ball. New session starts on the 16th. Last session I had 1 mini slam, 7 break and runs and 2 9 breaks. Sounds pretty good except I lost too many, always by 3 to 5 balls. Sitting at 56%. My 8 ball night was worse.

I'm hoping that less personal distractions this year will help my game. Better job, better hours, split nights out late right before an early work day. Best of all a no drama relationship and a recently installed table in my home.

Time will tell.

I finished 7-2 in 8-ball last session as a 4 moving to a 5 last minute. I'm optimistic about 9-ball. I had 3 break and runs playing the 9-ball ghost race to 10 with no BIH, over the weekend.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is our last week of the fall session for our APA leagues here. Sadly, neither my 8 or 9 ball teams will make the playoffs, unless we luck into the wild card drawing...

On a personal basis, my 8-ball session sucked, about 40%. Had a better 9-ball session, close to 70% this time. That should get me into the Best of the Best tourney for the session (top 20 finishers thy had at least 7 matches played).

I too am looking forward to a new session.

Not all the teams make the playoffs in your area? Ours do.

Had my second rack less win last Monday in the second week of our playoffs in APA 8-ball. The overall team match went down to hill-hill on the very last match. Our team won, which will be our first trip ever to the Tri-Cup. Unfortunately, I have work and I'm running my own tournament both weekends. :frown:

Starting the spring session for 8-ball tonight, and still hoping to get on a 9-ball team.

My Thursday night BCA rules league, played twice in singles, and twice in doubles. Lost all four. The whole match was a stomping, as it was the last place team (mine) against the perennial first place team, which also happens to be stacked. Definitely a humbling night.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Not all the teams make the playoffs in your area? Ours do.

Had my second rack less win last Monday in the second week of our playoffs in APA 8-ball. The overall team match went down to hill-hill on the very last match. Our team won, which will be our first trip ever to the Tri-Cup. Unfortunately, I have work and I'm running my own tournament both weekends. :frown:

Starting the spring session for 8-ball tonight, and still hoping to get on a 9-ball team.

My Thursday night BCA rules league, played twice in singles, and twice in doubles. Lost all four. The whole match was a stomping, as it was the last place team (mine) against the perennial first place team, which also happens to be stacked. Definitely a humbling night.

With only two weeks between sessions, we can only have 4 teams for playoffs. The way its done here, the top 3 teams in the standings are joined by a wildcard team for the playoffs. We have between 8-12 teams in our division most sessions...

Good luck next session!

Banks

Banned
With only two weeks between sessions, we can only have 4 teams for playoffs. The way its done here, the top 3 teams in the standings are joined by a wildcard team for the playoffs. We have between 8-12 teams in our division most sessions...

Good luck next session!

Pretty much the same here. With, I think, 15 or 16 teams, the top 2 have a chance to bypass playoffs. On Wednesday, there were only 5 master teams, one of which is already in the regionals, so the remaining 4 played in the playoffs.

I'm hoping to have a winning record in 9b again and make Vegas for singles in the regionals at the end of February. Playing pretty well the last week or so..

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-ball starts tonight. 9-ball starts tomorrow and we already have a BYE week :(

I was looking forward to 9-ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i played my tue nite 8 ball playoffs tonite. it was full of high and low moments.

we played the team that went to vegas this past year. i got off work late and the 1st match had already started. they threw a 6 and my captain who is a 2 threw herself ...dumping to him i guess.. he won 2-1 with her getting on the hill.

she throws a 3 and they counter with a 4 who wins 2-1.

well they throw a 7 who has the reputation of being the strongest 7 in town. my captain calls me over and asks if i think i can get a game or 2 off him. i said i think i got a better chance than our 6 or other 5...i am a 5. she said go for it.

i win the lag making 1 on the break and run 4 more before trying a safe. did not leave it exactly where i wanted it but left him hard. he makes a heck of a shot and winds up running 4 more before rattling a pocket. i run out .my whole team cant believe it and start cheering.

i break dry 2nd rack and he runs out.

3rd rack he makes 1 and tries to make 1 while obviously trying to break out a cluster and misses. i make 1 and try to break out a cluster and unbelievably make an early 8.

my captain said what the hell? i was nervous as hell and thought i would break the ice by saying ...i am just trying to give him a chance to win but don't worry ... i got this match. both teams just busted out laughing when i said that.

i win the next 1 and so we are tied at 2-2. he wins the 5th one and i win the next 1 winning 3-3 against the best 7 in town ....unbelievable !!

every one was stunned for a minute and there was complete silence for a minute and then my team started cheering .

to make a long story short our 5 losses to a 3 and our 6 needs to blank a 3 5-0 for us to win. the 3 wins the 1st rack.

my whole team choked tonight and i won a match nobody there thought i would.

damn !! well at least my sun night 8 ball team is already qualified for cities and 1 more session to try to get my 9 ball team qualified.

Last edited:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I got pretty fortunate in my BCAPL 8 ball league out of OKC this session. I found out today that I got 1st place out of 80 something players; our team took 1st also for the second session in a row, only one loss out of both sessions.

Next session starts Sunday, and I haven't hit a ball in weeks...gonna have to get back to the practice table soon.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got pretty fortunate in my BCAPL 8 ball league out of OKC this session. I found out today that I got 1st place out of 80 something players; our team took 1st also for the second session in a row, only one loss out of both sessions.

Next session starts Sunday, and I haven't hit a ball in weeks...gonna have to get back to the practice table soon.

Congrats!

Our APA 8-ball match was last night, that was an adventure... :grin:

I'm an SL5 and our captain put me up first.
The away team put up their best player, an SL6.

I win the coin flip, break and make a few, ran some, played safe. He gets up and I told him "You're stripes." He nods and starts looking around. Then he decides he wants to run my balls out. I call foul and he loses it! He said it was unsportsmanlike conduct to tell him it's a foul! LOL wut?

I guess I ticked him off, because he decided to start shooting slower than Charlie Williams. A 5 game 8-ball match lasted 1.5 hours, because of this toolbag.

After it was over, I asked him if he was trying to shark me or something (as a joke) and he took it completely the wrong way, starting going off about how unsportsmanlike I am and how I'm an A-hole.
( I guess he didn't like it when I fired in a straight back bank and drew the rock table length for shape on the 8 :grin: )

APA 9-ball starts tonight, the team I had with the BYE week decided to not play.

Banks

Banned
Son of a #$&*!! Damn 9b.. wish I could remember how to play it. Lost to an 8 14-6 after dropping him 5-3 playing pretty well. Won 8 on Tuesday, too. Went to a friend's place last night and played about 6 hours til 4 this morning. Same problem.. 8b I didn't lose a race, but couldn't win a 9b race(not apa style). Can't wait til I figure out wth is going on.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Son of a #$&*!! Damn 9b.. wish I could remember how to play it. Lost to an 8 14-6 after dropping him 5-3 playing pretty well. Won 8 on Tuesday, too. Went to a friend's place last night and played about 6 hours til 4 this morning. Same problem.. 8b I didn't lose a race, but couldn't win a 9b race(not apa style). Can't wait til I figure out wth is going on.

same here man.

tonite was 1 st nite of new session. it seemed like i could not make a ball and when i did i left my self hooked every time.

lost 8 and 9 ball both to 2 different 4;s after beating the strongest 7/9 in town last tue in the 8 ball playoffs. tonite i was the bug instead of the windshield lol.

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New season started last week, both 9b and 8b. I won my 1st match in both. Still doing bonehead things. In my 8b match I broke, had a nice setup for a few balls atleast. Needed to draw 1st shot, I launched the QB off the table, not just a little, I tried to put it into orbit. I still had my break cue in my hand, not very forgiving on off center hits. My excuse to team, it is a new break cue and feels a lot like my play cue, dont thing they bought it :sorry:

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
APA Austin

Playoffs were last week and this week but I went up to play some free pool and see if any similarly ranked players would be there. I played a couple of guys that are a little below me but it was good practice. I watched the playoffs and it became even more evident how much luck is involved with who gets to go. The end of the matches were all played by low ranked players and it was painful to watch. None of the higher ranked players matched up. Man, I wish we still had masters. No more modified 9 ball and no more bs handicapping.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tonight was our 1st night of new session for my 8 ball travel league.

i lost 3-3 to a 4 that i beat the last time i played him 4-0.

the match went 30 innings with me playing 7 safes and him playing 4. one of those nights where i could do nothing right and my opponent could do nothing wrong lol.