how are ya'll doing in league ?

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I watched some. Its just like when I watch other matches in person, i see stuff that looks easy to me. Until I'm the one shooting, then I find all kinds of various ways to mess it up
You just explained my game to a tee. I can run out every table when I'm watching someone else play. When I'm at the table, not so much.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My 8ball team must have just been cursed . One last game for first place, we all shit the bed.

0-3
1-5(me)
2-2, they had a 2 come back on our 3
And it's over like that in a flash, 7-1 no need to even play the last match the 4th was going the same as the others
Teams out of 1st, no playoffs
Screwed up my chance at the top gun and wrecked my perfect season , went 7-8 , wasn't happy at all.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 8ball team must have just been cursed . One last game for first place, we all shit the bed.

0-3
1-5(me)
2-2, they had a 2 come back on our 3
And it's over like that in a flash, 7-1 no need to even play the last match the 4th was going the same as the others
Teams out of 1st, no playoffs
Screwed up my chance at the top gun and wrecked my perfect season , went 7-8 , wasn't happy at all.
Those are rhe type of results we had every night all session in 9 ball. Came in last place.

8 ball was completely opposite. We won the way your opponents did almost every night and came in first place.

Haven heard about the. 8 ball mvp situation yet as the guy who was tied with me didnt play the last night of the session while i had a bye.

Still tied at points available with him having 6 matches to my 12. Oh yea.... One of my 3 ' s also came in first place in mvp for her skill level.

The whole team really rocked in 8 ball all session. We also all sucked all session in 9 ball lol.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention i have not played in 3 weeks now. Had a bye last night of rhe session. The following week was playoffs where we didnt need to play 8 ball due to coming in first and failed to qualify for 9 ball.

So i was lookimg forward to to last night when the new sessiin started. Well i got a text yesterday morning from the opposing captain telling me they were not goinf to show. He has 2 players with covid and 2 more in quarantine waiting on results of tests. Not sure how thats going ro affect leagues at the moment. Probably going back to wearing masks . i have noticed a resurgence of people wearing masks lately.

It seems like covid is picking up again around here. A former team mate told me yesterday he is in quarantine although his test came back negative friday due to his son having covid.

I have 2 grandchildren with covid also. Thankfully i have not been around rhem the past several weeks.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have been watching the apa championships going on in vagas.

Not trying to be an armchair quarterback here but after watching the s/l 5 8 ball championship i wish i woulda been there. Several mistakes by both players but then i realize there is pressure going on with that much money on the line.
I watched the finals of every tier of all the videotaped formats. I was totally blown away by some of the poor shooting and bad decision-making in every level. Even the finals of the SL9's was that way. Errors abounded in both the shooting and the decision-making.

That said....I cannot even imagine what the pressure must do to one's nerves in a situation like that.

I finished the session 3 out of 4 in 9-ball and 5 out of 6 in 8-ball. We had our last 8-ball match last Thursday and even though we were tied for first place, my Captain decided to play a SL5 (with a 1/7 record) in the match I would/should have played in eliminating all chances of an MVP award. I needed the one match to have played my minimum amount needed. I didn't care that I didn't play. I'm the kind of teammate that doesn't care if I play or not and my Captain knows that.

Although I'm still sometimes unstable on my feet (diabetes and the many meds I'm on make me that way...at times) and will forever have a wobbly stroke, I really believe that the laser cataract surgery that I had on both eyes back in March has helped my game be better. I won my last three 8-ball matches by scores of 4-1, 4-0, and 4-0, against SL5's and 6's (and in short innings) with the last two matches being Rackless nights. After having had a very good Spring session, I cannot believe I haven't been moved up to a SL6 again during this session. My opponents are wondering the same thing. Sometimes things just don't make any sense.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well after not hitting a single ball for the last 3 weeks it was evident i was a little rusty.

Played like crap lol.

Picked up eight where i left off last session. Lost 9 ball and won 8 ball vs the same player.

In 9 ball he is a 5 and i am a 6. . he torched me 17-3.

In 8 ball we are both 5's and i won hill- hill. I basically handed him 2 racks due to missed shots and poor position play. But a win is a win.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
playoffs we ended up in a tie and the rule is, whichever team in a tie won 3 matches is the winner, we out.

2 week skid for me. ill be back even more hungry when the season starts.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
We won our playoff round in 9-ball last night. The wife and I both won our matches. I was down 17 balls to 2 but came back to beat another SL7 55-41. Eleven racks, sixteen innings, with me playing 5 safeties. I never had a dry break and probably averaged 2 balls per break. It felt good to catch a gear. Doesn't happen that often for this old fart anymore.

Maniac

dquarasr

Registered
With feedback here on AZB, a couple of well-targeted fixes via lessons, and lots of good time at my home table, I've managed to go from the league whipping boy in the summer session to a pretty reliable teammate. So far this fall session in 8- and 9-ball, I'm 8-1 in matches, winning a huge percentage of available points. I'm currently an SL4, but I'm shooting so much better than I was in the summer session. During the summer I was so ready to throw in the towel, sell my equipment, and find another hobby. Having read Mark Wilson's book, taking two lessons that helped me, and some productive time practicing, I'm no longer embarrassing myself during league play.

Tonight I won an 8-ball makeup match, and both an 8-ball and a 9-ball match. I'm on a roll. I even snapped a 9-ball on a break tonight. Hadn't ever done that before.

So, I'm extremely pleased with my progress since earlier this year. The coaching I received has been invaluable, and I thank the coaches. No, I haven't yet done a break-and-run (I've come within one ball), but compared to where I was over the summer, I'm pretty happy.

That said, I felt really bad for my first opponent tonight on my first 8-ball rack. I was playing an SL5, 3-4 rack race (APA). Here's the situation:

He had one ball left, the 3-ball, which was deep in the pocket shelf. I had two balls left. Via a defensive shot, I left him nearly hooked on his last ball. Here's something I don't think I'll ever see again. He went cushion-first to pocket the hanging 3-ball, but barely missed. CB then bounced off the two cushions, struck one of my two remaining balls, pocketing it, then caromed into my other remaining ball, pocketing it as well. So, since he cleared my two remaining balls, and had not made contact with his last solid 3-ball, he gave me BIH on the 8, which was just about dead in the center of the table. In a thousand shots, I don't think he could purposely miss his 3-ball and pocket both my remaining stripes.

Sometimes the bear wins, sometimes you beat the bear.

I don't like winning a rack this way, but hey, I'll take it. I can only hope I continue to shoot well.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
With feedback here on AZB, a couple of well-targeted fixes via lessons, and lots of good time at my home table, I've managed to go from the league whipping boy in the summer session to a pretty reliable teammate. So far this fall session in 8- and 9-ball, I'm 8-1 in matches, winning a huge percentage of available points. I'm currently an SL4, but I'm shooting so much better than I was in the summer session. During the summer I was so ready to throw in the towel, sell my equipment, and find another hobby. Having read Mark Wilson's book, taking two lessons that helped me, and some productive time practicing, I'm no longer embarrassing myself during league play.

Tonight I won an 8-ball makeup match, and both an 8-ball and a 9-ball match. I'm on a roll. I even snapped a 9-ball on a break tonight. Hadn't ever done that before.

So, I'm extremely pleased with my progress since earlier this year. The coaching I received has been invaluable, and I thank the coaches. No, I haven't yet done a break-and-run (I've come within one ball), but compared to where I was over the summer, I'm pretty happy.

That said, I felt really bad for my first opponent tonight on my first 8-ball rack. I was playing an SL5, 3-4 rack race (APA). Here's the situation:

He had one ball left, the 3-ball, which was deep in the pocket shelf. I had two balls left. Via a defensive shot, I left him nearly hooked on his last ball. Here's something I don't think I'll ever see again. He went cushion-first to pocket the hanging 3-ball, but barely missed. CB then bounced off the two cushions, struck one of my two remaining balls, pocketing it, then caromed into my other remaining ball, pocketing it as well. So, since he cleared my two remaining balls, and had not made contact with his last solid 3-ball, he gave me BIH on the 8, which was just about dead in the center of the table. In a thousand shots, I don't think he could purposely miss his 3-ball and pocket both my remaining stripes.

Sometimes the bear wins, sometimes you beat the bear.

I don't like winning a rack this way, but hey, I'll take it. I can only hope I continue to shoot well.
Congratulations on your progress. Win or lose, it's always satisfying when you play up to your expectations. Stay with it, be diligent and watch how much you learn. It gets really fun when you get to the point where you have good control of the cue ball.

Good shooting!

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I played a SL6 the other night, a guy who regularly gives 7's a challenge. I've never had any luck with him, none at all. Got to hill-hill with him, before he got out. I know there really aren't "moral victories", but it sure felt like one to me. Best match I've ever had with him. It was fun, too.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had league last sunday but wanted to wait and until i mulled over who to blame for what went down.

We faced two teams that night trying to get a make up out of the way. For clarity the scheduled team that night is team 1 and the make up was team 2. We started an hour early with team 1 and then moved players over to team 2 after they played both 8 and 9 ball vs team 1. With rhe exception of me. I played 8 ball first vs team 1 and then went to play team 2.

In my 8 ball match vs team 1 i gaced a strong 7/9. I lost hill - hill mostly due to a couple mistakes i made. I lost 2 racks i ahould have won and it never would have went hil- hill. Guess its like dub stated...a moral victory because i have faced this guy several times and lost 5-0 every time. Still kicking myself for missing two 8 balls i never should have missed though.

So thankfully i kinda didnt let it get me down and went and played 9 ball vs team 2. They threw a 7 who i have always had trouble with. It went back and forth and i had no idea i was in the lead until the scorekeeper said game over after i pocketed a ball. I have no idea what the score was as i never checked....just elated that i finally won a 9 ball match and it was vs a tough 7 no less.

Then i face a strong 6 in 8 ball on team 2. As we were battling back and forth one of my players comes up and interupts me about what is going on in the other room vs team 1. Well guys....that just shot my focus all to hell and to make matters worse the captain for team 1 came over wanting to know when i was coming back over to play 9 ball. I had left instructions with my co captain before i went to play against team 2 but i huess they were not capable of making a decision with out me.

So....i went back to the other room and played lousy and got my azz kicked in 9 ball vs another 6.

As much as i would like to blame other people for my losses its ultimately my fault for gailure to maintain focus. It seems like the older i get the harder it is to focus.

I remember when i used to get in the " zone" so to speak quite often. I would put up a break and run and not know it until the scorekeeper informed me. Plenty of times nothing existed but me and the table.

One time in a bar i started a rack while the band had been on break. When i sunk the 8 ball i looked up and the band was in the middle of ac / dc ' s thunderstruck and ear spltiing decibles. I had no idea they had started back playing while i was shooting. Thats how focused i could get sometimes...sadly it seems those days are long gone.

Sometimes i try to get some semblence of focus by staying away from my team mates while i am in a match. Sometimes it helps ...sometimes not.

Sorry for the long winded post guys .

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Apa started back up. Feeling good, playing how I want to.
Mon 8ball handled another 6, 5-2
Tuesday same thing a 6 9ball 55-25
Next week bca starts ,

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not posted in the last couple weeks due to been busy as heck at work and around the house

Do i start with the good or the bad? Bad i guess. Played 8 ball vs a 7. I win the lag and break dry. He runs rhe table. Then he puts up a 2 pack on me. . i think i got to the table twice the rest of the match. Got shut out 5-0.

So i played a 5 in 9 ball .race is me 46 and her 38. Dont remember the points but i won 15-5. O honestly think she had a bad night cause she really didnt play like a 5.

Last night i faced another 5 in 8 ball. I have played him several times and i have won every time but he always gives me a tough match. Last night was no different. I won hill - hill like most times i face him.

Then i played him 9 ball and he usually beats the crap outa me. Not last night. My brwak was on...i mean really on. I made a ball every break but once. Made 2 9's on the break ...once with another ball and once with 2 additional balls.

I owe my improvement to my break due to. changing my grip changing nothimg but my grip. I used to hold my break cue with a death grip...however much that is with 30 % loss of strength in that hand. I loosened up my grip and it made a world of difference last night. I won 14 -6. I already won as many 9 ball games in 2 weeks as i did in 11 matches last session.

Oh ...soeakimg of last session. I won 8 ball mvp with an 11-1 record.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'm sucking in napa singles this year. Didn't play for over a year, and now just playing 1 night a week at league. Still have to give up spots almost every week, and just not playing good enough. I should be in about 9th place out of 18 after winning yesterday. No chance to win the session, but at least I'm getting to play a little bit.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
called it quits monday 8ball apa, cant suffer the childish behavior any longer.
gonna take a break from that crowd for a minute lol.

bca wasnt nice to me last night 0-5 worst ive ever played,
ill start on another team tonight. 3 person team bca

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
called it quits monday 8ball apa, cant suffer the childish behavior any longer.
gonna take a break from that crowd for a minute lol.
My experiences with the APA crowd has been brutally agonizing over the years, but I've learned how to filter out most of the BS.

Good luck in your new BCA league.

Maniac