how are ya'll doing in league ?

BlueRaider

Registered
I always considered 8-ball the smorgasbord of games. It has a little of everything and requires a little of everything.

Jeff Livingston
I started with bar box 8 ball, as many a player does who takes up the game upon reaching legal drinking age (in the U.S. at least).

Of course, I went through the phase of thinking 8 ball, especially bar box 8 ball, was "too easy" or a banger's game or whatever. But it's actually a GREAT game and highly strategic.

My first night of Double Jeopardy league, I clobbered a 2 in 9 ball and then promptly lost to her 2-0 in 8 ball. Realized how deficient I was in that game and had to go back to the drawing board.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I had probably my best ever performance in league last night (8 ball).

Missed 1 shot out of 4 racks and came within about an inch of running a 2-pack against my opponent, who is an SL 7. On the last 8 ball, I had a cut down the long rail and needed to put the cue ball where the object ball was to get shortside shape on the 8, but overran position just enough to make the cut impossible. I tied up the 8 with two of his balls and he messed up the breakout, so I ended up winning the rack anyway.

Disappointing to not get the 2-pack (as the second one required two difficult breakouts), but otherwise it was a 4-0 rackless win with a break and run. I've now got 3 out of 11 total matches played. I was primarily a 9-ball player for the past 6 years or so, but I find myself looking forward to my 8-ball matches more and more now.
You're not an L.D. Bell Blue Raider by any chance, are you?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Realized how deficient I was in that game and had to go back to the drawing board.
It requires more thinking, that's for sure. The patterns can change at any point during a rack as we amateurs don't always get the intended shape that we were seeking and have to incorporate a new plan of attack on the remaining balls.

Coyote501

I'm now 4-3 in my APA 8 Ball league. (I'm ranked as a 4) Lost 3 outa the last 4. Last night I went up against a hot shooting 5. I lost 4-1. Each game went down to the wire and I coulda beat him. I missed a couple shots I coulda made and he made me pay, as he should. He also missed some shots, and I didn't capitalize on most of them. Very disappointed, but this little slump is allowing me to identify weak spots in my game that I need to correct.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Got my confidence back up for bca good 4 outta 5 wins only missing one last night and our team somehow killed even if they had a top guy win 5 they still couldn't win.
Good way to start new season. Interesting new rules. Now we can have timeouts, before none.
Now the maximum handicap given can be just 6 points, when our team was regularly getting 10 plus per round lol.
I'm the only mid 500 player that plays and all low 400s and much lower.

2 more weeks of 3man team bca tonight is one, won all my matches first two weeks, hope to close out the last two the same way and go out on top,
It's all about the ego and confidence for me 😂

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
9ball, what to say, lost to a 5, last week to a 7.

Our team is complete and I like em all, but we all suck at 9ball and having a hard time to win a single match let alone a night. Might take a week off, might say screw it all together and make me an 8ball team so I can play singles boards, got my first one coming saturday.im looking to win, competition is the only reason I play, I want to win.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had probably my best ever performance in league last night (8 ball).

Missed 1 shot out of 4 racks and came within about an inch of running a 2-pack against my opponent, who is an SL 7. On the last 8 ball, I had a cut down the long rail and needed to put the cue ball where the object ball was to get shortside shape on the 8, but overran position just enough to make the cut impossible. I tied up the 8 with two of his balls and he messed up the breakout, so I ended up winning the rack anyway.

Disappointing to not get the 2-pack (as the second one required two difficult breakouts), but otherwise it was a 4-0 rackless win with a break and run. I've now got 3 out of 11 total matches played. I was primarily a 9-ball player for the past 6 years or so, but I find myself looking forward to my 8-ball matches more and more now.

Nice job and something to keep in mind, you didn't run a table against your opponent, he was sitting down and had nothing to do with it :)

In short, you're playing the table, not your opponent.

Just trying to nudge you in the right direction so don't think too much about your opponent and let it get in your head. The quality of your opponent should make a difference in your decisions, but not your play ;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've all but given up on playing well any longer. I'll keep going and supporting my team, if nothing for the friendships and the socialization. I just play so horribly now. I'll take a turn when they need me to.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm playing my.best 8 ball ever
Nuther 3-0 tonight bca, one to go
Purely for the ego , I had to earn it tonight though, but did

4 of 5 on Wednesday. Just one freak ball that went dead center of the pocket and got spit back up ruined a perfect bca week. Dumb gandys lol

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TL;DR Don't get frustrated when the yips come!

The ups and down of being a bar banger. So the spring I had a phenomenal session in 8 ball as a SL5 Took down some big scalps, 4 or 5 break and runs, (two of em on the big table) never lost to anyone ranked below me, and finished I think 11-2, winning the SL5 MVP. Summer session rolls around and I win my first 5 matches averaging maybe 2-3 innings per rack...ahhhh, but momentum and confidence are fickle mistresses!

My LO stopped by one match and mentioned that he was looking through scoresheets and noticed my stats...told me he was surprised I wasn't an SL 6 already and that it would likely happen in the next week or so. I lost that night. And the next week. and the week after. I took a couple weeks off. Came back and lost my next two matches. And these losses are ugly. Against folks I had never lost to before. I noticed that it seemed EVERY ball into the corner rattled and hung up. Heck even the shots that fell in were a toss up. Every position was over ran by mere inches, putting me on the wrong side of the shot line...aaagh.

I limped into tri cups. The only way I can describe it is when you get the yips playing golf. Nothing changes about your approach, swing, follow through, but for whatever reason you JUST CAN'T make good contact and the ball is all over the place. My team made a run to the finals in tricups. During the tournament, I played 2 matches and a sudden death. The 2 matches were with an SL 3 and and SL5. I didn't win a rack. I couldn't have hit the ground with my hat if you gave me 3 throws.

I take the next week and completely deconstructed my shot. From my approach through my follow through. I dusted off my notebook of Mother Drills from my lesson with Scott Lee (RIP) I spent hour after hour and drill after drill focusing on my set- pause- finish and eye discipline. Very tedious and boring.

Fall session starts and I pick up a much needed win against an SL7. The very next week my Skill Level had changed...I had dropped to an SL4! I haven't been an SL 4 in a couple of years. It was a very frustrating and humbling experience. That night I beat an SL6 3-1 in 6 innings with a BnR. The next week I was back up to a 5. Who knows the mysteries of APA ranking. Anyway, I guess I will restart the long climb back up toward SL 6.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TL;DR Don't get frustrated when the yips come!

The ups and down of being a bar banger. So the spring I had a phenomenal session in 8 ball as a SL5 Took down some big scalps, 4 or 5 break and runs, (two of em on the big table) never lost to anyone ranked below me, and finished I think 11-2, winning the SL5 MVP. Summer session rolls around and I win my first 5 matches averaging maybe 2-3 innings per rack...ahhhh, but momentum and confidence are fickle mistresses!

My LO stopped by one match and mentioned that he was looking through scoresheets and noticed my stats...told me he was surprised I wasn't an SL 6 already and that it would likely happen in the next week or so. I lost that night. And the next week. and the week after. I took a couple weeks off. Came back and lost my next two matches. And these losses are ugly. Against folks I had never lost to before. I noticed that it seemed EVERY ball into the corner rattled and hung up. Heck even the shots that fell in were a toss up. Every position was over ran by mere inches, putting me on the wrong side of the shot line...aaagh.

I limped into tri cups. The only way I can describe it is when you get the yips playing golf. Nothing changes about your approach, swing, follow through, but for whatever reason you JUST CAN'T make good contact and the ball is all over the place. My team made a run to the finals in tricups. During the tournament, I played 2 matches and a sudden death. The 2 matches were with an SL 3 and and SL5. I didn't win a rack. I couldn't have hit the ground with my hat if you gave me 3 throws.

I take the next week and completely deconstructed my shot. From my approach through my follow through. I dusted off my notebook of Mother Drills from my lesson with Scott Lee (RIP) I spent hour after hour and drill after drill focusing on my set- pause- finish and eye discipline. Very tedious and boring.

Fall session starts and I pick up a much needed win against an SL7. The very next week my Skill Level had changed...I had dropped to an SL4! I haven't been an SL 4 in a couple of years. It was a very frustrating and humbling experience. That night I beat an SL6 3-1 in 6 innings with a BnR. The next week I was back up to a 5. Who knows the mysteries of APA ranking. Anyway, I guess I will restart the long climb back up toward SL 6.

This is a very similar thing that happens to me (APA 5 in both 8 and 9) as well, except for some reason in TriCups and Vegas qualifier tournaments I tend to always play above my skill level. I only started playing league the season or two before covid hit, but I play on a couple teams and fortunatly most of them make it the higher level tournaments. So I have about 25 matches between 8ball and 9ball in those tournaments. I only lost 4 of those matches, one of those was to one of the best 7's in my area and I had him hill hill and was SO close to beating him. Only lost because i accidentally just barely knicked a ball coming uptable playing position off the short rail to the 8 ball which was sitting on the opposite short rail and my cue ball pretty much ended up sitting straight against the 8 ball, If i hadn't knicked that other ball i was set up straight in for the win. I went for the bank and missed it, and of course with a wide open table the 7 ran out and won the match. The next match that 7 played, he went up against a 6 and won the entire match in 1 inning. He started off with 3 break and runs, broke dry in the 4th rack, other player missed an attempted safety and the 7 ran out the rack, finished the match with an 8 on the break. Another funny story about one of my losses in the tournament, I was playing a 3 and won the lag, made the 8 on the break, squatted the cue ball in the middle of the table and another ball cut the cue ball in the side pocket, F'n scratch and a loss........ Next rack I almost made the 8 again but broke dry, 3 played a lock up safe (with coaches help) and I kicked at one of my balls and it hit another and knocked the 8 right in, totally never saw it as even a remote possibility, anyways match over since the 3 only needed two games.

Enough league war stories........ for now

I am surprised i have not been raised to a 6 yet, I know other teams have even complained about me and even had the league operator (Ewa Laurence) watch some of my matches during higher level tournaments when I was shooting well above my skill level. However about 3 or 4 times a year I go through these ruts where I can't seem to make a ball, i rattle pocket after pocket and then it gets in my head and i overthink and get nervous on every shot I take. I will try and fight through this for a week or two and get frustrated and just not touch my cue for a week or so. The funny part is, once I pick up my cue again I seem to have an improved game, i start making balls a little more consistently than I did before i started my struggles. I have had players on my team mention to me I should take a week off more often. The moral of the story is instead of trying to fight off the slumps with drills and stroke improvements, just take a break and think about other things.

Ok, one more APA Skill level story, I was raised to a 6 in nine ball for about a week, I beat a SL7 46-14 (9 innings) the next week I was back down to a 5 and have stayed there ever since. Makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. My winning % in 9 ball was pretty high at the time was well (probably around (80%). I used to worry and get upset about peoples skill levels, however once I took the attitude that the system will eventually catch up and even out let people enjoy the ride while they can. I used to think a lot of people were sandbagging, but I came to realize its just the system for whatever reason hasn't raised them, through no fault of their own. We only have a few legitimate sandbaggers in our league, the only reason they play in leagues is so they can play on single boards with an easy path to get to Vegas, so they sandbag like hell on league nights to keep their skill level low so they can be under ranked for singles competition. I even had one of those players try and get me to play singles boards and tell me how to sandbag and keep my SL down. Needless to say I have never played single boards and probably never will just due to the sand bagging aspect of it.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
First league in since covid, and i am struggling to get back in stroke. I figured i haven't played in a singles in ages so i threw myself in. Bca, two races to 5 by ball count.

I am ranked a 4, but haven't played any singles so owner is watching me. I admittedly should be a solid 5 and feel like a sandbagger. However i am so out of stroke my scores are easy to excuse me as a 4.

I dont have a killer instinct. I have a hard time playing new low ranked players, because i go too easy but often beat the higher ranked. For instance first race i lose to a 3, second race i beat a 7. Doesn't help the 3 is a smoking hot girl in her 30s who dances between her shots. Many of the high ranking older guys come up to me after they play her and say they cant focus but they are not complaining.

Right now i am just trying not to get frustrated and enjoy the table time. It is just good to get out.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
First league in since covid, and i am struggling to get back in stroke. I figured i haven't played in a singles in ages so i threw myself in. Bca, two races to 5 by ball count.

I am ranked a 4, but haven't played any singles so owner is watching me. I admittedly should be a solid 5 and feel like a sandbagger. However i am so out of stroke my scores are easy to excuse me as a 4.

I dont have a killer instinct. I have a hard time playing new low ranked players, because i go too easy but often beat the higher ranked. For instance first race i lose to a 3, second race i beat a 7. Doesn't help the 3 is a smoking hot girl in her 30s who dances between her shots. Many of the high ranking older guys come up to me after they play her and say they cant focus but they are not complaining.

Right now i am just trying not to get frustrated and enjoy the table time. It is just good to get out.

Try this thought:

Beat every banger every time, and (at least) tie with every good player. That killer feeling with grow muscles.

Jeff Livingston

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Qualified for regionals my first time playing a 8ball apa splash board today

The guys playing me didn't have a chance

Went rackless on a pair of 5s and beat a six 5-2

Played on diamond bar tables, I don't play on em much but my game is the same whether it's big pocket big gandys or diamond bar tables.
Very pleased with myself lol

Probably will switch off 9ball again to 8ball team since I need one to still play regionals

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
got to say bca scoring app really has its sheet together,
it updates your stats over night,

the apa one thats left up to the lo to still enter the data manually with paperwork is a joke in comparison, why even have an app if you still going to do it the slow way,

apa is 2 weeks behind usually,

i got finished with bca last night at 10, by 8am its updated

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had a huge problem of playing to my opponents ability, still do occasionally, you'll just have to work through it.

My issue is this, I'm a nice guy so I don't want to walk up and just annihilate lower level players because then it's no fun for them and they don't play - and that's what this is about.

I have found that it makes it much more fun if you actually help them once in a while. If they miss a shot you know just tell them why they missed it, etc. Or when you make a good shot, or bad shot, explain to them what you were doing.

Trust me, you'll get over beating them :)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Playing the worse league pool of my entire life the past month or so, but still somehow managed a decent score last night, (70 out of 85). Helped that we played the cellar team...lol

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
in apa
i love running over the little guys and mid level guys

in bca
lower levels are an achilles heel of mine, i dont get it at all

very very strange

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in apa
i love running over the little guys and mid level guys

in bca
lower levels are an achilles heel of mine, i dont get it at all

very very strange

That is interesting and I think you're new to BCA if I'm not mistaken, I bet that has something to do with it. Once you get to know everyone and are more comfortable I'm guessing you'll start taking command of those lower level players ;)

I'm also guessing you don't gamble much?

BlueRaider

Registered
Barely beat a pretty strong 3 last night in 9 ball and went rackless against a 4 in 8 ball.

I can't imagine the pressure of being a 9 in 9 ball and playing a lower-level player. I get really stressed playing 2s and 3s and I'm a 7.

One of my biggest mistakes lately has been playing for small positional windows to keep my runout going rather than playing for larger positional windows where I'm guaranteed to see the ball.

My speed control is usually a little off under pressure, and I'll end up hooking myself playing offense, then kicking and either missing or selling out. Then they run 3-4 balls off that. Repeat that 2-3 times throughout the match and suddenly I'm in a huge hole. I need to start playing a much more cautious game against the lower-ranked players and not giving up anything easy and avoiding giving up BIH at all costs. Heck, even me scoring 6-7 points in an inning is still "losing" against a 2 or 3 if they answer back with a 4 ball run of their own.