how are ya'll doing in league ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You’d have to ask your LO but I have never seen anyone move up that fast, I truly don’t believe it can happen on their algorithm alone.
I'm with you, but how many LO's are gonna fess up to manipulating someone's skill level? It's always been a big mystery in both APA league areas I've ever played in. I'm pretty certain they were probably the ones making the changes though.

So basically...it can depend a LOT on how your LO does his/her job.

Maniac

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you, but how many LO's are gonna fess up to manipulating someone's skill level? It's always been a big mystery in both APA league areas I've ever played in. I'm pretty certain they were probably the ones making the changes though.

So basically...it can depend a LOT on how your LO does his/her job.

Maniac

There's nothing wrong with changing an SL if it's appropriate. If the LO says they didn't touch it then if it were me, I would contact the National Office - if I cared.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
They actually ended up starting me as a 5. Then I lost 2-5 to a 6. The outcome might have been a bit different, but I didn’t know slop counted until pocketing a ball while playing a great safety at 2-2 with 2 balls left on the table. All downhill after that….then to finish the day I found out games don’t matter in 9 ball. It’s by ball count. What kind of league did I get into here!🤔😱😳😉😉

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They actually ended up starting me as a 5. Then I lost 2-5 to a 6. The outcome might have been a bit different, but I didn’t know slop counted until pocketing a ball while playing a great safety at 2-2 with 2 balls left on the table. All downhill after that….then to finish the day I found out games don’t matter in 9 ball. It’s by ball count. What kind of league did I get into here!🤔😱😳😉😉

It's all about the points and EVERY point matters! I can't tell you how many times I took a chance or shot a shot I probably shouldn't have early in the match when up by 10-20 and I lost by 1 or 2. Technically speaking, you can lose every game yet annihilate your opponent - make the 1 through 8 and dog the 9 and you still get him/her 8-2 ;)

Match wins are based on points and skill levels are based on points and how many innings it took you to get there.

APA is a very much a team oriented league, they have individual events also but, generally speaking, it's a team thing. If you want to focus only on games won

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
It's all about the points and EVERY point matters! I can't tell you how many times I took a chance or shot a shot I probably shouldn't have early in the match when up by 10-20 and I lost by 1 or 2. Technically speaking, you can lose every game yet annihilate your opponent - make the 1 through 8 and dog the 9 and you still get him/her 8-2 ;)

Match wins are based on points and skill levels are based on points and how many innings it took you to get there.

APA is a very much a team oriented league, they have individual events also but, generally speaking, it's a team thing. If you want to focus only on games won
Yes and on a better note, my fiance had a good time. It’s an 8 and 9 league. She was pocketing some balls and won her first 9ball match. That was the biggest reason for joining. To help her to play better. As long as she likes it, it’s a good thing.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and on a better note, my fiance had a good time. It’s an 8 and 9 league. She was pocketing some balls and won her first 9ball match. That was the biggest reason for joining. To help her to play better. As long as she likes it, it’s a good thing.

When the ex and I were hanging out a couple of years ago she decided to try pool, she had a good time and enjoyed it.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Then your LO changed your rank, there's no way that happened by stats alone.
We had a player go from a 4 his first week (back then thats what males started as) to a 7 in week 2. He played another newer player, and i think they only had 4 or 5 innings for the match. Our captain complained and got him backed down to a 6. Which is pretty much where he ended up after that, tho in reality he probably was a very strong 5, low-end 6. The LO wasn't there, it was all based on numbers reported.

So it can happen.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a player go from a 4 his first week (back then thats what males started as) to a 7 in week 2. He played another newer player, and i think they only had 4 or 5 innings for the match. Our captain complained and got him backed down to a 6. Which is pretty much where he ended up after that, tho in reality he probably was a very strong 5, low-end 6. The LO wasn't there, it was all based on numbers reported.

So it can happen.

The LO hand enters (EDIT: prior to the app) the numbers into the system and can make judgement calls at that time. Given the stories I've heard about some APA LO's I have no doubt they would do this without telling the player.

To get the answer I just texted the LO in our area and asked how fast a player can move from a 4 to a 7 on algorithm alone. I will post up if/when she replies, she's usually pretty good about this stuff though.

The only reason I'm pushing back on this a bit is because I ran through some pretty good players in both and 8 and 9 ball and my SL didn't go up nearly as fast as I expected, I was actually surprised myself.

BlueRaider

Registered
You’d have to ask your LO but I have never seen anyone move up that fast, I truly don’t believe it can happen on their algorithm alone.
I won 19-1 and was 1 ball away from winning 20-0 IIRC. And it was against a 2. I played really well that night and even when I missed, I would hook her. I also played several safeties. Basically everything went my way and the stat sheet reflected it.

I did immediately lose to another brand new 3 the next week as a 6, but what's funny is that only dropped me to a 5 while he only went up to a 4.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The LO hand enters (EDIT: prior to the app) the numbers into the system and can make judgement calls at that time. Given the stories I've heard about some APA LO's I have no doubt they would do this without telling the player.

To get the answer I just texted the LO in our area and asked how fast a player can move from a 4 to a 7 on algorithm alone. I will post up if/when she replies, she's usually pretty good about this stuff though.

The only reason I'm pushing back on this a bit is because I ran through some pretty good players in both and 8 and 9 ball and my SL didn't go up nearly as fast as I expected, I was actually surprised myself.

While I understand where you're coming from, I have no reason to doubt it when my LO tells me that he didn't manually adjust people, especially new players. Especially players he never saw in person.

He has had a policy of letting new players start and let the system sort it out as long as I can remember. Since he wouldn't be able to see most of the players in question (our geography prohibits that) and it wouldn't be consistent to have "trusted" people in various rooms making arbitrary determinations on supposed Skill Levels...just let the system sort it out.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Got to league last night and ended up getting a bye because the other team quit.

Last season we had a guy that was either not showing up or showing up super late. Eventually the captain dropped him from the team, and he was pissed about it like he had no idea why. Evidently three of his friends had been stewing about his "unfair" dismissal and quit the team at the end of the season. They started their own team along with the guy the captain kicked off.

This is the team that quit last night. Why? Because the captain couldn't rely on enough of them showing up to play each week. Our new team has been solid.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You really did not do your homework before joining LOL, two of very basic rules in APA, 8 ball is not called shot except the 8, and then you need to mark the pocket for it with a 4 foot tall flashing tree or they will steal the game from you and all their games are ball count. Why do you think most real players make fun of the APA for not being real pool? Best league for "players" is USAPL or BCA leagues, Some of the others can come close but with the Fargo integration, higher level players in general and more integrity in general those are the leagues to be in as a serious player.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The USAPL and BCA is almost the same with how you can loose but also opposite, you can win every game by actually making the winning 8 or 9 but still lose on points. So normal strategy in something like 8 ball where you let the weaker guy clear some stuff out for you does not work as a high handicap in USAPL vs a weak player since those few they clear for you can be like 1/3 of their whole match and you need to win 7 games outright to win. I have won every game in a match and still ended up losing due to the players making a few balls here and there.

One league night for me was really funny, there is a point limit in USAPL like most leagues, you can still play but you get penalized for going over. One time we only had some stronger players that were there so we went over the team limit. We played, we won every match by like 5-1, 5-2 in games won, but lost the night because of the handicaps and the penalty for going over the limit once the points were all added up LOL Communism at it's best, work hard, get good, beat the ass off someone, and they get handed the win.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The LO can't directly set a skill level in the system, its all about the algorithm. However what they can do is set blind minimum skill levels for players, so basically no mater what the algorithm says, it don't drop a player below that skill level. I would be highly doubt anyone entering info in the computer is manipulating the data, that is a lot of work that they would have to keep up with on a weekly basis and keep track of what players they are manipulating. I am sure the national APA would not be fond of that behavior. I have talked to 2 league ops from different areas (one was a former LO) that both said they just let the system do its thing unless there are blatant obvious issue that needs addressed.

I also know that the LO can effectively MOOT all of their previous match scores and basically start someone fresh. This is used for when people have a life altering sickness / injury that drastically changes the way they can play.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The USAPL and BCA is almost the same with how you can loose but also opposite, you can win every game by actually making the winning 8 or 9 but still lose on points. So normal strategy in something like 8 ball where you let the weaker guy clear some stuff out for you does not work as a high handicap in USAPL vs a weak player since those few they clear for you can be like 1/3 of their whole match and you need to win 7 games outright to win. I have won every game in a match and still ended up losing due to the players making a few balls here and there.

One league night for me was really funny, there is a point limit in USAPL like most leagues, you can still play but you get penalized for going over. One time we only had some stronger players that were there so we went over the team limit. We played, we won every match by like 5-1, 5-2 in games won, but lost the night because of the handicaps and the penalty for going over the limit once the points were all added up LOL Communism at it's best, work hard, get good, beat the ass off someone, and they get handed the win.
I have had that happen to me when playing on an in-house league that was using the BCA handicap system. I really never looked into what went into it, but I play that exact same way of letting non runout players clear some clutter before I plan an exit strategy. Came back to bite me for the first couple of weeks until I realized how the handicap system worked.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was an 80yr old who's a real decent shot, fell over twice at an apa tournament.
We helped him luckily it was carpet he fell on.
While waiting for them to take him to the hospital I said
well, not a bad way to go I think

One of my favorite subtle humor pool cartoons and I can see the mentality of a serious player here.

foul.gif

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m on a streak! Last week I did my first ever 8-ball break-and-run. This week in rack 2 my opponent broke dry and I ran out. Can Vegas be that far away? 😁 (Um, yes. Yes it can.) (2,279 miles, to be exact.)

Nice, that is how the progress starts, all of a sudden you are finishing the games, and it's can be a pretty neat shock that all of a sudden you are "good" LOL