how are ya'll doing in league ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit being a captain last night and let my son take over :)

He's worried about it because last week I didn't go and let him run the show and it turned out to be a shit show. We have a legitimate SL1 on our team and she'll never be any better but man she tries. Either way, she had used her two timeouts but then needed the bridge but didn't know how to use it so one of our players grabbed the bridge and was showing her how to use it (away from her balls by the way) and she made the ball and then two more then missed. 10 minutes later when the other team realized their player could win they called foul on the third timeout and she lost her three points and lost her match. On top of that, the other team was just being a bunch of assholes. I'm actually putting all the information together now to submit to national. I doubt anything will come of it but the next time I see that team they're going to know what they did was wrong.

Oh, but me and my son are leading our respective divisions in the MVP standings :)
I had 8 ball tri cups yesterday. We had a bye the first round and the second round started out bad. Real bad .

I threw a 3 and they countered with a 4. They won 3-0 for a 3-0 score. They threw another 4 and i countered with a 4. They won 3-0 for another 3-0 score.

So they are up 6-0 and i am thinking it dont look good and i need to throw my 7. He is in a a 9 ball singles match though and as luck would have it son was our opponent's 7 so i threw myself. They countered with a 5 and i won 4-1 for a 2-0 win. Well both 7 's are back so they throw their 7 and i counter with our 7.

Our 7 wins 5-3 for a 2-0 win bur we are still down 6-4. I throw a 4 and all they have in order to meet handicap is a 2. My 4 wins 4-0 for a 3-0 score and we win the match 7-6. What a comeback after being down 6-0.

So now comes the 3rd round and we are in the finals. I was only familiar with one guy on the opposing team and was a lil concerned sfter hearing they won their last round in only 3 matches.

They threw their highest rated player. A 6 and i countered with out 7. Our 7 won 5-2 for a 2-0 score. I threw myself and they countered with a 5. I won 4 1 for a 2 -0 score. So we are up 4 -0.

They throw a 5 and i counter with a 4. They win 4-1 for a 2-0 score. I throw my other 4 and they throw a 4 and they win 3-1 for a 2-0 score. So we are tied 4-4 going into the last match.

They throw a 3 and i am faced with a real dilemna . i only have two 3's available to throw..
Do i throw my best 3 who had played the previous round or do i throw my weakest 3 who has not played yet. ?

Last chance to qualify for this years cities and i really want to win. First thought is my best 3....the hell with it. We gonna win as a team or lose as a team. So i throw my weakest 3.

Damn if she didnt win 2 -0 for a 3-0 score and we win 7-4. For the first time ever she didnt get all bent out of shape for having time outs called on her. I gave her 2 and our 7 gave her 2.

After wards she said ahe was a nervous wreck during the match. I said that made 2 of us and we started laughing.

I told my team i was darn proud of every one and that this 3 was our mvp for the day. She was grinning ear to ear.

We have 9 ball tri cups next week and i highly doubt if i play due to handicap limits. Either i or my 8 will have to sit after our 1 dropped off the team and i had rather it be me sitting.

Great story. That’s a hard decision to make when your team’s tournament life is on the line but in APA it’s always the right decision, in my opinion.

Coyote501

My team is heading into Saturdays TriCup (APA). Only 1 of us has ever been to the playoffs. (She made it to Vegas) Me, myself am going in on a hot streak, but with a loose attitude. We are a Wildcard team, (last place in our Division) We got some damn good shooters. But matchups/timing and just some bad luck seemed to work against us, along with some sloppy shooting, no excuses. My attitude is "Fuck it, we aren't supposed to be here, so lets win it all." This is only my second session in APA, so this is pretty exciting.

BlueRaider

Registered
Last night was probably my last regular session night of league for quite some time, and I got my ass beat by an SL9.

I had previously beaten him earlier this session but last night he was in beast mode. I think I had maybe 4 turns at the table where I actually had a ball to shoot at and wasn’t kicking.

Didn’t help that I came up dry on every single break and never got shape when I managed to kick a ball in.

That said, the opportunities I had and blew were costly. I had some 5-6 ball runs that should have been runouts, and the only reason they weren’t is because I got careless and ended up on the wrong side of shots. So I’d snag a few points, only to blow the rack late and give him the last few balls and the break. And from there he’d string 6-7 more balls on average.

It’s weird, I seem to take my time more against lower level players. Against him I felt like I needed to prove something by playing faster and more confidently, but it just led to dumb, careless mistakes.

Oh well. I had a good run in APA for the past year but I think I’ve seen enough.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been busy and have not posted the last two weeks so here goes.

Last week the opposing team threw a 4 on me in 8 ball. So it was a 4-3 race . he won the lag and came out shooting like a 6.

He was up 2-0 and on the hill in 3 innings. So i had to start playing safes and slow him down.
I won the next 4 in a row to win the match. Whew !! Close call on my undefeated win record so far this session.

This week they threw another 4 on me. Whats up with that ? Two weeks in a row they threw 4-s when they had a 5 available .

My opponent won the lag and broke dry . i ran the table. I won the next rack fairly easily.

Third rack my opponent made a couple good runs but couldnt see the 8 ball after making their last ball. I took bih and made a ball and played safe. Got bih again and made a ball and played safe again. This time i left a lil look at the 8 but it was a scratch shot all day long. I guess my opponent didnt see it or was just trying hard to avoid giving me bih again. Well they scratched. 😆

Won the next rack faily easily for a 4-0 win.

Still have not played 9 ball due to handicap issues and i had rather sit than my 8.

On a side note. This past weekend my son came over asking me about where to get decent cues cheap. Seems his boss gave him a pool table he didnt want after having a new house built. I dont know the brand but its a cheap furniture table.

Anyways i gave him a cue i had laying around and while lookimg in the closet i came across my cue i took to vegas in 2013. Only time i have made it after 11 years in apa.

Anyway i decided to take it to league. Played just as good if not better than any cue i have. ...including. my carbon fiber cues.

You see...back then i was playing with a fancy custom cue and i was terrified of taking it to vegas. So what do i do ? Go buy a cheap sneaky pete that costs a whopping 20.00 brand new. I played good enough in vegas with that cheap azz cue to skunk another 5 in my first match. Won my second match 18-2.

Only cue i will never sell. 😆

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question: What are the ACS 8 ball rules on a scratch? Someone recently asked me about it and I did not know if they used a different rule as the BCAPL or APA does. Is it not ball in hand anywhere on the table? Or is it something else?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question: What are the ACS 8 ball rules on a scratch? Someone recently asked me about it and I did not know if they used a different rule as the BCAPL or APA does. Is it not ball in hand anywhere on the table? Or is it something else?

On the web site they use the "world standardized rules", in those rules a foul on the break is ball in hand anywhere on the table.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I would have thought the pool room attorneys would answer this.

I pulled out my ACS league player rule book from 10 years ago. A scratch on a break is ball in hand behind the head string. The section referring to this is 4.6 in my rule book. A scratch after that is ball in hand.

The book is a reprint of world standardized rules but there is a section carved out for eightball.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I am trying to get back into a BCA league after being away for a while. Unfortunately the teams look like they are very established and there were no openings. I signed up to be a sub but can see that this will be very limited and I will probably not get to play more than a handful of times in a 5-6 month session. I played a big table nine ball tournament last night and basically sucked on the big diamonds but I had a great time. Had so much fun I am no longer worried about playing league LOL. I think I will alternate between this 9 ball tourney and an in house bar box 8 ball tourney. Life is good!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dropping national leagues for a bit, played TAP again for a few sessions (the final award thing was interesting, seems no-one kept score properly so all the break and runs, game stealers, etc.. were not properly counted for the awards) but this session got some new players that were, intense I guess you can call them, jerks would be another term. A bunch of people I hung out with dropped also so there is no reason for me to play at all, there are like 6 players I want to play with and 4 of them are on my team. No interest at all in APA or traveling teams that play in random bar tables, luckily my son is running an inhouse league using Fargo ratings so I still get to hang out with people I like.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Dropping national leagues for a bit, played TAP again for a few sessions (the final award thing was interesting, seems no-one kept score properly so all the break and runs, game stealers, etc.. were not properly counted for the awards) but this session got some new players that were, intense I guess you can call them, jerks would be another term. A bunch of people I hung out with dropped also so there is no reason for me to play at all, there are like 6 players I want to play with and 4 of them are on my team. No interest at all in APA or traveling teams that play in random bar tables, luckily my son is running an inhouse league using Fargo ratings so I still get to hang out with people I like.
Yeah the league I am trying to get on is BCA rules in house and uses Fargo ratings. I have been out of it so long I do not have a rating which is fine considering how I played last night LOL.. I played APA to start in Jan and when it ended in April I realized once again why I left it years ago. I enjoy the players but once you hit a 6 or 7 you basically sit or have to form your own team unless you have a bunch of 2s and 3s which can be difficult to sit through 25+ inning race to 3. Several times a night.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the league I am trying to get on is BCA rules in house and uses Fargo ratings. I have been out of it so long I do not have a rating which is fine considering how I played last night LOL.. I played APA to start in Jan and when it ended in April I realized once again why I left it years ago. I enjoy the players but once you hit a 6 or 7 you basically sit or have to form your own team unless you have a bunch of 2s and 3s which can be difficult to sit through 25+ inning race to 3. Several times a night.

A common "starter" Fargo rating for a new player would be about 450 which is around a C+ player, someone that can run 3-4 or so balls in 9 ball on average with ball in hand. I find it a good middle ground unless the player skill is already known.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
1653873744909.jpeg

Well I got stuck with a 2 in the 5th match. 19-55 race. She needed 6 I needed 27. So I got my 27 to her 4. My win sealed the deal for the team on 50/50 tie. We won 3. Time for citywide….

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 644059
Well I got stuck with a 2 in the 5th match. 19-55 race. She needed 6 I needed 27. So I got my 27 to her 4. My win sealed the deal for the team on 50/50 tie. We won 3. Time for citywide….

Congrats and good luck in your cities.

Well tonight i finally faced another 5 after 2 weeks in a row of facing 4's.

I jumped out to a 3 -0 lead and was on the hill. Then it seemed i lost focus like i sometimes do when its apparent the match is not competitive.

He won 2 in a row before i got my act together and won the next one to win 4-2. Its still early in the session but i am 4-0 so far and the team is in first place. I hope we keep this momentum going for our 8 ball cities next weekend.

I have not played 9 ball for at least 6 weeks now. Just have not been able to find a couple low handicaps for us to meet the 23 rule so our 8 and i can both play.

Speaking of 9 ball. Our team is in 2nd place this session. Again its early but we have forfeited the last 9 ball match 3 weeks in a row. We got trounced 2 weeks ago in our 9 ball tri cups. I hate to think this but how in the hell can we be in 2nd place after forfeiting all those matches unless there is a whole lot of dumping going on to keep their handicaps low for cities in 2 weeks.
Plus ....we were not able to qualify for 9 ball cities . it just dont sound right.

BlueRaider

Registered
I’ll be playing in my first ever APA Cities this weekend in 9 ball.

Anyone got advice for a first-timer? It’s at a pool room I’ve never played at before, so I definitely plan on practicing there a couple times this week to get a feel for the tables and speed.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyone got advice for a first-timer? It’s at a pool room I’ve never played at before, so I definitely plan on practicing there a couple times this week to get a feel for the tables and speed.

Practicing on tables you have never played on before is a good idea. Remember though that there will be others who have possibly never played on them also.

You will undoubtedly encounter players that you may have faced during the year that are playing at a higher level than you have ever seen them play. . it does not mean they are sandbaggers although some may very well be.

Its been said countless times on here by non league players that they play their best when they are playing for something. Its the same at apa cities.

Some players will call more timeouts or play more safes during cities than they have all year.

Again it does not mean they are sandbaggers . cities is not like your friday night session where if you miss a shot or lose a match does not really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Do not...and i repeat do not hesitate to call for an observer if there is the slightest chance your opponent may commit a foul. The shot always goes to the shooter and while they may call a foul on theirselves during a regular night they will be hard pressed to call one if it means they might lose their match and cost their team a trip to vegas. Thats just human nature. An example would be some one is walking behind some one that drops a 10 dollar bill most would pick it up and hand it to the person. If it was a 100 dollar bill more people would stick it in their pocket.

Above all stay focused...play your game and dont sweat whatever drama may unfold because there will be more than you encounter on a regular session night.

I dont mean to make it sound as bad as i probably made it sound but just saying that when it gets serious some people are going to show their true colors and the asshole in them comes out.

BlueRaider

Registered
Practicing on tables you have never played on before is a good idea. Remember though that there will be others who have possibly never played on them also.

You will undoubtedly encounter players that you may have faced during the year that are playing at a higher level than you have ever seen them play. . it does not mean they are sandbaggers although some may very well be.

Its been said countless times on here by non league players that they play their best when they are playing for something. Its the same at apa cities.

Some players will call more timeouts or play more safes during cities than they have all year.

Again it does not mean they are sandbaggers . cities is not like your friday night session where if you miss a shot or lose a match does not really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Do not...and i repeat do not hesitate to call for an observer if there is the slightest chance your opponent may commit a foul. The shot always goes to the shooter and while they may call a foul on theirselves during a regular night they will be hard pressed to call one if it means they might lose their match and cost their team a trip to vegas. Thats just human nature. An example would be some one is walking behind some one that drops a 10 dollar bill most would pick it up and hand it to the person. If it was a 100 dollar bill more people would stick it in their pocket.

Above all stay focused...play your game and dont sweat whatever drama may unfold because there will be more than you encounter on a regular session night.

I dont mean to make it sound as bad as i probably made it sound but just saying that when it gets serious some people are going to show their true colors and the asshole in them comes out.
Thanks lorider!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks lorider!

Like i said ...i dont mean to be all negative because most people really have a good time in cities. Jist saying there is always a bad apple in every bunch.

I have played in the cities about 9 times and have only encountered serious drama a couple times but have encountered people playing way above what i thought they were capable of numerous times lol.

Good luck and let us know how you do. Looking forward to our 8 ball cities next weekend myself.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!

Safeties are good…..