how are ya'll doing in league ?

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing both APA (8-ball only) and USAPL (8-ball/10-ball Double Jeopardy). So far I’m 1/2 in APA. I’ve swept one match and got swept in the other.

In APA our team captain is an SL-5, and we have two people on our team higher than him: myself (SL-6/Fargo 450), and an SL-7/Fargo 520. We end up with a massive timeout problem. The three of us share coaching duties and we each have way different methods of approaching it, so when we call timeouts on each other it’s a clusterf**k.

So far in USAPL I’m 5-1 in 8-ball and 2-4 in 10-ball. This is odd because by an “eye test” I’m a much better rotation player (on a bar box), than an 8-ball player. However holding a line for 8-9 shots is still a problem and the Fargo 500+ club can punish me for it.

I’ve also missed a few straight shots on the 10 ball. So to compensate i try to work too hard on the 9, so I’ve scratched at least twice trying to move the cue ball to perfect position on the 10 instead of coming up a bit short and leaving myself the longer shot.
Is that correct, a SL7 is a 520 fargo? Seems very low to me, but must be based off the local competition.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Requalified for 8ball teams again and missed the 9ball by 1 point after 16 weeks! 😑

1st 943
2nd (us) 942
3rd 941

Pretty damn crazy if you ask me.

We qualified twice now for World Qualifier in 8ball. Maybe he'll give us a 9ball spot instead. Not sure if qualifying twice in one game gives you any benefits?
Unfortunately that won't do anything for you. You need to qualify in 9 ball to make it. It seems the only flexibility the LOs have is with the masters division.

Justaneng

Registered
Is that correct, a SL7 is a 520 fargo? Seems very low to me, but must be based off the local competition.

He’s a lower end 7, but this is our conversion chart that the local USAPL rep uses to slot APA folks into Fargo for their starter rating.

SL-2: 275
SL-3: 325
SL-4: 375
SL-5: 425
SL-6: 475
SL-7: 525+

It’s been reasonably accurate, but as you noticed an SL-7 in 8-ball covers a huge range in skills, with some Fargo 700 players in APA. The highest SL-7 in our area is a Fargo 620 but he dropped out of playing APA a couple of sessions ago.

SeniorTom

I was really down after losing a match 4-0. A week later in the playoffs I won 8 of 11 games I played against shooters in a no handicap League. I'm beginning to dislike handicapped leagues because of all the bagging that goes on and how the system applies the handicap to individuals. In the no handicap League you have the best in the house playing, head to head no handicap, the way I like it. It's a tough league, but that is a good thing. Win or lose there is something to be gained.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He’s a lower end 7, but this is our conversion chart that the local USAPL rep uses to slot APA folks into Fargo for their starter rating.

SL-2: 275
SL-3: 325
SL-4: 375
SL-5: 425
SL-6: 475
SL-7: 525+

It’s been reasonably accurate, but as you noticed an SL-7 in 8-ball covers a huge range in skills, with some Fargo 700 players in APA. The highest SL-7 in our area is a Fargo 620 but he dropped out of playing APA a couple of sessions ago.
Interesting and thanks for that, I didn't realize a SL7 would translate to a fargo that low, but I guess it's valid. It seems like everyone I've run into in Vegas are 600 to 750, but that's probably not a good comparison.

Justaneng

Registered
Clean sweep: APA 8-ball, USAPL 10-ball, and USAPL 8-ball.

In APA I had my first ever “throw off” on me, when I went up second and our opponent threw up an SL-3. He was a fairly good shot maker but had poor speed control, so that’s what was limiting his runs. I eeked through racks one and two, played strong racks 3 and 4, and up 4-0 I rattled one and left it in an awkward spot and he crawled back and got the 1 rack he needed to get to the hill. I got a bit lucky on the last rack and got the 5-1 win.

Prior to this week in USAPL I played in a tournament that got entered into Fargo and got absolutely smoked - dropping my Fargo rating by 15 points. My nerves just aren’t quite there in tournaments yet.

So in USAPL this week I went up twice against a Fargo 480 that I’ve historically played about even. Except I’m now a Fargo 435 (until this next update) so I had a bit of a handicap advantage. I ended up with a handicap assisted win in 10-ball and an outright win in 8-ball.

That being said, I think I rattled 3 money balls in 12 racks and I absolutely have to stop doing that. I also had one rack where I tried to draw a corner pocket hanger, which was my key ball, straight back but I must have hit the left side of the OB leaving the cue ball on the side rail without a good look at the 10-ball.

Justaneng

Registered
Interesting and thanks for that, I didn't realize a SL7 would translate to a fargo that low, but I guess it's valid. It seems like everyone I've run into in Vegas are 600 to 750, but that's probably not a good comparison.

The fact that there is practically no limit to how good an SL-7 can be is one of the cheat codes to get to Vegas. If your SL-7 is a 3:1 favorite over some other team’s SL-7 you’re a good bet to advance. The team champion for APA this year had two Fargo 650+ players on their roster.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that there is practically no limit to how good an SL-7 can be is one of the cheat codes to get to Vegas. If your SL-7 is a 3:1 favorite over some other team’s SL-7 you’re a good bet to advance. The team champion for APA this year had two Fargo 650+ players on their roster.

It's interesting to note this. I'm noticing experienced teams doing stuff like 77333.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The winning team had two fargo 720+ players, that's pretty strong! Texas is producing a great deal of top notch players.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I've only played 8 9ball matches. All against 6/7's. Done 18 a few times but haven't done a 20-0 yet. This seems pretty difficult against higher levels. I haven't played any 2/3's yet so maybe then 😂
Screenshot from 2024-01-15 07-18-42.png

My only season of 9b Gatz... Got the shutout on my first night against a 7 ;)

just saying

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing in Germany and started the season with a new team. So I had to start in the lowest division with this team. Our team is to good for this league and will promote in the next higher league in the next season. It's not easy to play against beginners and frustrating for them to loose so high against so much higher ranked players.

In singles I will play the qualification for the senior state championchips in 8- 9- and 10-Ball.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This is going to be a long rant, but please know I'm omitting a lot of details...lol

Well Gatz and I played Masters on Saturday, (teammates). ...and the drama ensued.

We were scheduled to play the 1st place team (we're 2nd). This is our second meeting this season and last. With only 3 sessions remaining this day will have consequences to overall standings without a doubt.

For some reason the opposing captain reaches out to Gatz (not captain) the Monday before. Tells him that one of his players has traveled for work. Another is going on vacation, and he thinks a third can't make it, so he (the captain) isn't going to bother and we "will have to" make up the matches some other time. WTF..? To be clear, everyone knew the 1 guy was travelling for work about a month ago. The other taking vacation was an unknown to us at least. ....AND this team is bar none the worst for not showing up on scheduled days. Last year they had to play 6 make up matches in the last session. This year admitingly (sp?) has been better but they did have a 'make up' against us (surprised surprise), because their third player simply didn't want to stay long enough to play on the correct day, and no we weren't running long on that day. They also attempted a complete no show on the very first day of this season but when threatened with forfeits 3 managed to show up. I can't stress enough, how fed up the other teams are with their antics.

Our player reaches out to the LO. The reply is short and sweet. The offending team has been warned about their inability to show up on scheduled days. That they should expect teams to either take forfeits or offer a double up (1 player of choosing plays twice). The non-offending team can decide whether they want the forfeit (5-0) or allow the double up (race to 7 w/ 3 on the wire), and they have the right to decide who plays twice. This same response was sent to the other team that's scheduled to play the offending team. Once this was relayed to the offending team captain he realized they were facing forfeits, miraculously two of their players can now show up.

So... by the end of the Monday prior. The consensus was that they will "double up" 1 set in each of our 2 matches.

Now comes Saturday. Before league starts my entire team has a lengthy conversation with the LO about how to correctly manage the double ups. Within this conversation we discuss the selection of the 'doubling' player. Although the rules say that we can select whoever. The LO suggests it would be more sportsmanlike to use both players rather than focus on the clearly weaker of the two. We agree and move on.

So the first two sets begin. I'm playing one of their aces, and my cap is playing theirs. I crush the guy I'm playing and we immediately start the double up for that match. The score reaches 7-1 (3 racks on wire) and my guy goes to shake the losers hand. Now the drama begins. The 'ace' was never informed about the double ups by his captain. Worse yet, their captain is now pretending he knew nothing about double up and claims he was told by my captain that we'd be playing makes up at a later date. Which of course is a bold faced lie. We have multiple text messages that clearly prove that the intent was to stay on schedule and allow them to play double ups rather than reschedule or claim forfeits. The other team they are scheduled to play literally went through this same drama prior to the match day and they also clearly stated that double ups were going to happen.

The LO gets involved. Words are spoken and in the end the LO has convinced himself that we are attempting to screw over the offending team. Regardless of all the evidence we have of the actual agreement. Regardless of the lengthy conversion we had with the LO prior to starting. Regardless of the same agreement the offending team had with the other schedule team. WE apparently have an axe to grind with the offenders and WE are being unsportsmanlike, because the offending captain is claiming something that he can't prove, and is in complete conflict with my cap, (the person he supposedly had this agreement with).

So what does the LO do...? nothing. Well, I shouldn't say that. He did accuse us of being assholes and unsportmanlike, and he aggressively tried to get my teammate to shove his foot down his throat. If anything the LO escalated the situation rather than do his job. When I managed to separate him from my teammate and attempted a rational conversation, he simply refused to enforce the rules. I asked when two parties have a disagreement what should we use to resolve it. I had to bump that up to asking him directly what the rules were. He still would not answer me directly and opted to defame our characters. I always had my opinion but clearly the only task he does well in this league is collect the dues. To be fair though. To the best of my memory, this could very well be the first thing he has had to deal with in the last 6yrs I've been playing, so 0 for 1 isn't all that bad.

So in the end, we split the difference. The one completed double up stands, the other that should have happened will be a regular "make up" at some later date. As it stands we slapped them around pretty good with a point differential of 32-18

I'm firmly convinced that the LO has an axe to grind against my team. We have dominated this league for several years and no one was happier we finished 2nd last year than him.

Oh and the offenders did have to play the double up against the other team after us :rolleyes:....lol

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm firmly convinced that the LO has an axe to grind against my team.
Nothing can screw up an APA league worse than a sorry League Operator. In the sixteen years I played APA, I had a good LO for the grand total of two SESSIONS!!! The current LO's are the main reason I dropped out of APA (no, not the only reason).

Good luck in your scheduled make-up match. Your team deserves to win it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Nothing can screw up an APA league worse than a sorry League Operator. In the sixteen years I played APA, I had a good LO for the grand total of two SESSIONS!!! The current LO's are the main reason I dropped out of APA (no, not the only reason).
Crazy part is I've known this LO for a very very long time. Well before he was running the local CPA. While I wouldn't claim we're "buddies". I have been invited to his home in the past, and would have classified us as friends. He clearly as a hate on for one of my teammates. If I were to hazard a guess. I'd say that's based on his complete dominance (and likely opponent complaints) since joining reg league.
Good luck in your scheduled make-up match. Your team deserves to win it.
It's hard for me not to agree with you...lol. I honestly feel for the secondary players on that team. They are straight up good guys across the board. I don't doubt for a moment they are kept in the dark by their captain. They just want to play pool and compete.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
League is going ok this session. Been a little more focused on getting better, and trying not to be “nice” when I play anymore. It definitely makes winning easier.

So I roasted an 8 in 9 ball 55-39. 8 ball I lost. I got some good practice in, but have to stop cringing at ugly breaks. I can work them fine but just get in my own head for some reason. Nasty tables throw me off. Not sure why. Probably because I’d rather not have a safety battle or a 20min long game. That’s boring in 8 ball. The guy I was playing was also a 7. He was breaking ugly. I was running balls fine. Missed my first 8. Second rack ran out off his break. . Then proceeded to miss the same exact shot on the 8. lol

So it was 4-2. He broke dry. Leaving a bunch of clusters. I once again worked the whole rack like a champ except ended up blocking my original pocket for the 8 when breaking one of the clusters. Had about a 1 inch window for CB to play the 8 in the side. Missed it by a hair and had to bank instead. Missed the bank shot, he ran all his and that was game over. Lost 5-2.

Then made up for it going 5-1 in an 8 ball money game afterwards. It was 5-2 but only because I gave the 530 I was playing a game.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
This is going to be a long rant, but please know I'm omitting a lot of details...lol

Well Gatz and I played Masters on Saturday, (teammates). ...and the drama ensued.

We were scheduled to play the 1st place team (we're 2nd). This is our second meeting this season and last. With only 3 sessions remaining this day will have consequences to overall standings without a doubt.

For some reason the opposing captain reaches out to Gatz (not captain) the Monday before. Tells him that one of his players has traveled for work. Another is going on vacation, and he thinks a third can't make it, so he (the captain) isn't going to bother and we "will have to" make up the matches some other time. WTF..? To be clear, everyone knew the 1 guy was travelling for work about a month ago. The other taking vacation was an unknown to us at least. ....AND this team is bar none the worst for not showing up on scheduled days. Last year they had to play 6 make up matches in the last session. This year admitingly (sp?) has been better but they did have a 'make up' against us (surprised surprise), because their third player simply didn't want to stay long enough to play on the correct day, and no we weren't running long on that day. They also attempted a complete no show on the very first day of this season but when threatened with forfeits 3 managed to show up. I can't stress enough, how fed up the other teams are with their antics.
See I refuse to do makeups. If one team refuses the other team has to double play or forfeit. There is a group captain text between all Sunday team captains and I let all the other captains know we don’t do them. I mean if it’s a big holiday we will do one or two makeup matches but are not going to do all 5 as makeups. The other team better get at least a couple people there.

Do they do makeups in other leagues? I used to bowl in a bunch of leagues and never had a makeup even once. The other team didn’t show they lost.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
See I refuse to do makeups. If one team refuses the other team has to double play or forfeit. There is a group captain text between all Sunday team captains and I let all the other captains know we don’t do them. I mean if it’s a big holiday we will do one or two makeup matches but are not going to do all 5 as makeups. The other team better get at least a couple people there.

Do they do makeups in other leagues? I used to bowl in a bunch of leagues and never had a makeup even once. The other team didn’t show they lost.
Generally speaking our Masters league is extremely low drama. The usual cause for requested make ups is due to scheduling conflicts with other events, tourneys, etc.... Normally this a complete non-issue as teams know the schedules, can fore see the potential conflicts and at the very least discuss alternative arrangements well in advance if necessary. However this particular team has made a habit of being indifferent to the lives of other league members and seemingly expects all those to bend a knee rather than approach the situation with humility. Keeping in mind the problem is theirs and not anyone else's.

There's honestly two problems as I see it. The first clearly being this team's (captain) attitude toward other teams and the league itself. As individuals that group of players are good people, and I actually pity the two players that were recruited last year to make a run at us. They just want to play pool and compete like everyone else. The second problem is the LO. Who is clearly ignoring the league rules in favour of them. While hiding behind claims of our supposed unsportsmanlike conduct rather than managing his league. I don't think we deserve special treatment. We as a team just want the rules to be followed. I do believe it or not, sympathize with the league operator for having two teams in conflict. More so the league vs a team, as we aren't alone in this dispute. Truth be told, not all agree with our hard stance. Of course those individuals are never in contention and have a firm grasp of the LO's nuts.

My wife plays in the Monday night regular league and she got to listen to the LO rant about how childish I was being. That I was acting like a 4yr old and might as well have rolled on my back to start kicking and screaming...lol. That I'm only targeting this team because they are the favourites to win, etc and so forth. Well I don't happen to agree that they are the favourites, and I'm pretty sure I was the one that had to pull the LO away from one of my players to defuse the arguments...lol

I'm sure some will say that I should just quit after the season is done. Speak with my pocket book as they say. The LO seemed to enjoy yelling that if we didn't like the way he ran his league we can get the f*ck out. Well, that is an option. However I know 100% that owning this league for a few more years will burn him more than the loss of my monthly dues. Figure I'll stick around and let him enjoy the show ;)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
one thing i cant stand is this person refuses to show up on time and thus half of the team also comes late like its ok which it isnt
if its apa that starts at 730, they show up at 8
if its bca that starts at 8 they show up at 815

i cannot stand how its allowed for yrs, i would have thrown them out of the league

if i show up to work late every day im out of a job
if i show up late for a tournament 15mins late every week they wouldnt let me in
so why does this person get to. cannot stand it one bit and i let em know, your late its time to start, no time to practice, or you can forfeit and practice all night

same for another singles league im in, if you cant show up the day of league then you shouldnt be able to play in it. period

Last edited:

Justaneng

Registered
I grew up in Chicago and now live in South Louisiana, and my favorite season is upon us - Locals panicking because it’s below freezing for the 2 days per year it’ll be below freezing.

As a result, my APA match last night was postponed, even though the roads were perfect, it was just below 32 outside. The night before there was some freezing rain, but conditions all day were sunny and breezy which means any thin layer of black ice was evaporated by noon, even if temps never got above freezing. But temps did get above freezing by 1PM, so that meant the roads were completely fine well before league time. It made sense to cancel things in the morning (no salt trucks down here), but canceling anything in the afternoon was ridiculous.

Meanwhile, I wanted to get some racks in a more social setting, and our local hall closed (also for no good reason), so I ended up making the haul down to Buffalos - which involves crossing a 23 mile long bridge.

I think I’m going to propose a team building activity where we fly to Chicago, grab rental cars, and do donuts in an empty Walmart parking lot when it snows.