how do i shut my mind off?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I am beyond frustrated. I am now convinced that the overwhelmingly biggest problem with my game is mental. (Big surprise, huh?)

I know that I have the skills to play reasonably well. I simply do not allow myself to do so. An example...

A couple of nights ago, I was playing a ring game with a couple of buddies, better players than I. I was struggling most of the night, poor execution. I received a call, and needed to leave, to pick up my son. We hadn't finished the game, but I told the guys that we should see if we could wrap it up quickly. When it came my turn, I just stepped up, didn't think, and fired. I did this repeatedly, cleared the table and won the game. Long shots, cut shots, great position play....all sub-consciously.

I have had this happen a few times before. I think some folks call it dead-stroke, or what passes for it with someone of my ability. When this is occurring, I can't hear the conversations around me, and not consciously thinking of anything. Everything works, or is so close that it was clearly a small miscalculation. The stroke "feels" right.

The other 99% of the time, my mind is working overtime. What's my grip like, where do I want the leave to be, what spin should I use or should I use any....the list goes on. And because I am focusing on the task at hand, I can hear everything going on around me, as well, adding to the mental clutter.

I realize that I am supposed to make all those thoughts and decisions before I get down on the shot. I understand that. How do I shut off my brain?

It's getting to the point where playing isn't enjoyable anymore, because I know how much better I can play. Not about winning versus losing specifically, I'm ok with that, if I am playing reasonably well and I just get beat by someone who played better.

I get so frustrated.

Standard disclaimers apply. I realize there are no magic bullets, and that I need to practice to improve.

Thanks

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am beyond frustrated. I am now convinced that the overwhelmingly biggest problem with my game is mental. (Big surprise, huh?)

I know that I have the skills to play reasonably well. I simply do not allow myself to do so. An example...

A couple of nights ago, I was playing a ring game with a couple of buddies, better players than I. I was struggling most of the night, poor execution. I received a call, and needed to leave, to pick up my son. We hadn't finished the game, but I told the guys that we should see if we could wrap it up quickly. When it came my turn, I just stepped up, didn't think, and fired. I did this repeatedly, cleared the table and won the game. Long shots, cut shots, great position play....all sub-consciously.

I have had this happen a few times before. I think some folks call it dead-stroke, or what passes for it with someone of my ability. When this is occurring, I can't hear the conversations around me, and not consciously thinking of anything. Everything works, or is so close that it was clearly a small miscalculation. The stroke "feels" right.

The other 99% of the time, my mind is working overtime. What's my grip like, where do I want the leave to be, what spin should I use or should I use any....the list goes on. And because I am focusing on the task at hand, I can hear everything going on around me, as well, adding to the mental clutter.

I realize that I am supposed to make all those thoughts and decisions before I get down on the shot. I understand that. How do I shut off my brain?

It's getting to the point where playing isn't enjoyable anymore, because I know how much better I can play. Not about winning versus losing specifically, I'm ok with that, if I am playing reasonably well and I just get beat by someone who played better.

I get so frustrated.

Standard disclaimers apply. I realize there are no magic bullets, and that I need to practice to improve.

Thanks

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

I assume that your fundamentals are pretty much rock solid. So, you don't even need to be concerned about that.

The very first thing that you need to do is to convince yourself that YOU are a great player. Say it to yourself and believe it.

Pocket the OB and play the QB where you want it to go for the next shot. That's the only thought you should have in your mind. Nothing else.

If you find your self sliding, stop, tell yourself your a great player.

When I'm in the zone I here noise in the back ground (people talking, music playing) but I couldn't tell you what they were saying or what music is playing, its just noise.

Give it a try. Its you against the table and nothing else. Like your playing alone.

Have fun, that's the name of the game. :smile:

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meditation is how to train the mind like exercise trains the body

I get so frustrated.

Thanks

Like it or not, Meditation is going to do you the most good without a doubt. I would recommend one that has you ONLY focus on your breathing like ANAPANA MEDITATION - click picture below for more info.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member

I get so frustrated.

Thanks

I read an article about choking. The example was Shaq Oneal who had a career 51% free throw rate. The jist of it is that you allow your higher brain (cerebral cortex) over ride your instinctive muscle memory. You know how to make the shot. You can do it without thinking, but when it counts your cerebral cortex over rides and makes you miss through over analysis. The article suggested that you have a tune you run through your head when you are shooting to distract your cortex and let your muscle memory do it's thing.

I tried it with limited sucess in that it worked when I just hummed the tune. What I found myself doing when it didn't work was thinking about why I was humming the tune in the first place and circling back to what I was trying to avoid which is I think a curse of A.D.D.

I was beginning to think it was hocum and then I was playing a league match and was struck by a rather sudden migrane. It was intense. It was all I could do to stand up to the table and execute a shot. Somehow I picked the right ball and ran 2 racks perfectly breaking clusters, and landing whitey where it needed to be for the next shot. I pocket the the second 8 ball and go throw up. Rack 3 I ran down to the last ball missed the breakout and lost the rack due to the ball in hand foul and my opponent running 6 to get out. Fourth rack I got sick again and had to quit. It was miserable, but afterward I came back to the article and realised that it was valid. I couldn't even think when I was shooting lights out. I only wish I could have held off getting siuck until the match was over.

Whistle while you work. It's better than agony and vomiting.

:cool:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I get so frustrated.

Thanks

One day I was practicing 9-ball sets with Tony Robles. I was called away to a phone call at the pool room and as I didn't want to keep Tony waiting, I took the cordless house phone, tucked it in my neck and continued shooting. I was totally focused on the conversation I was having. When I hung up the phone, Tony informed me that I had just run 5 racks while on the phone. I was shocked because I had no recollection of having done that. I remember being at the table for a long time but that was all.

Not everyone has the luxury to be able to afford to pay a sports psychologist, but I can tell you that everyone who performs in public needs one.

Here is something I've learned in doing my own research while I was actively competing:

There is nothing more stressful for a pro golfer coming down the stretch on a Sunday with a chance to win a tournament. You'd be surprised to hear what they discuss with their caddies at that time ---- What they will have for dinner that night, what movies they want to see ---- Anything but golf.

What they're doing, and what I accidentally did that day on the phone, was to replace the zillion conscious thoughts that are running through your head, causing you to interfere with your sub-conscious thought process, with thoughts that won't interfere with that process.

It's called --- replacing bad distractions with good ones.

We can't not think, but we can think in a way that doesn't interfere with what we have trained our sub-conscious mind to do with all the practice we have done.

I think of it as the art of letting go. Sometimes you have to stop trying to control everything and just play. You also have to accept the risk that this may cause you to miss. But it's the fear of missing that keeps us too conscious of what we're doing.

So go ahead and give yourself permission to miss and think about what you're going to have for dinner the next day, or where you would like to go on vacation when you feel yourself starting to get overloaded with thoughts.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
One day I was practicing 9-ball sets with Tony Robles. I was called away to a phone call at the pool room and as I didn't want to keep Tony waiting, I took the cordless house phone, tucked it in my neck and continued shooting. I was totally focused on the conversation I was having. When I hung up the phone, Tony informed me that I had just run 5 racks while on the phone. I was shocked because I had no recollection of having done that. I remember being at the table for a long time but that was all.

Not everyone has the luxury to be able to afford to pay a sports psychologist, but I can tell you that everyone who performs in public needs one.

Here is something I've learned in doing my own research while I was actively competing:

There is nothing more stressful for a pro golfer coming down the stretch on a Sunday with a chance to win a tournament. You'd be surprised to hear what they discuss with their caddies at that time ---- What they will have for dinner that night, what movies they want to see ---- Anything but golf.

What they're doing, and what I accidentally did that day on the phone, was to replace the zillion conscious thoughts that are running through your head, causing you to interfere with your sub-conscious thought process, with thoughts that won't interfere with that process.

We can't not think, but we can think in a way that doesn't interfere with what we have trained our sub-conscious mind to do with all the practice we have done.

I think of it as the art of letting go. Sometimes you have to stop trying to control everything and just play. You also have to accept the risk that this may cause you to miss. But it's the fear of missing that keeps us too conscious of what we're doing.

So go ahead and give yourself permission to miss and think about what you're going to have for dinner the next day, or where you would like to go on vacation when you feel yourself starting to get overloaded with thoughts.

Fran:

I can relate to this. I've completely run out race-to-7 league matches, and even completely stole the show in ring games (opponents unscrewed), after I'd been "zonked" on heavy-duty cold medicine (e.g. Dayquil). My wits were completely subdued, I had no conscious mental edge at all, and was relying nearly 100% on subconscious execution. Rack after rack were going into the pockets, my ring game opponents kept tossing my winnings onto the table, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders and collect them. It was like, "Feh, no big deal." I really didn't care. I was more concerned about being stuffed-up (nasal congestion), my cloudy head, the ringing in my ears caused by both my malady and the meds, and just in general feeling like crap.

As you described, I think I was in the middle of the ultimate distraction, a distraction that is not exactly "good" (it's never good to not be in good health), but it worked for taking my conscious mind away from distracting my performance. It was execution in its purest form, because the conscious mind was never in the way. I would definitely NOT recommend taking cold remedies as an artificial way to "subdue" one's conscious mind, that's for sure!

Finding a way to be "goodly distracted" is the best way. And, I think it's the pursuit of everyone here that knows they have a distraction problem (including the OP). The trick is in finding out how -- everyone's different.

Since I'm a musician, I find that if I think about music -- about a very intricate bass line and the fretboard fingerings / string-plucking execution -- that it works in keeping my conscious mind at bay when playing pool. For sure, it's got to be something ENGAGING -- something you love, that is of no effort for your conscious mind to stay engaged with. I love playing the bass guitar, so it does that for me. Each person has to find that "alternative engagement" for him/herself.

-Sean

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I'd like to suggest something as well. Is it possible that your subconscious was actually pulling you off shots because you made the wrong shot selections? It's common for me to work with students who say "I keep choking the 8- or 9-ball" and then we talk and they change their statements to "I keep shooting long shots to get to those balls" and then it becomes "You're right, I need to change my shot selection to play better with key balls..."

In other words, I "choke" a lot less when the cue ball is a diamond away from the next shot almost straight in, same as any other player. I think there's solid advice on handling nerves in Pleasures of Small Motions and in Tim Gallwey's books and elsewhere, like the good advice posted here, but as you wrote, you know you're supposed to make stroke and speed decisions before bending to the ball... and I'm wondering if that's where your concentration is failing you.

apple03

Registered
For sure, it's got to be something ENGAGING -- something you love, that is of no effort for your conscious mind to stay engaged with. I love playing the bass guitar, so it does that for me. Each person has to find that "alternative engagement" for him/herself.
-Sean

Nice posting! This probably is why I love background music. When a pool hall has no music at all it gives me a strange feeling like there would be missing something.

Fran:

I can relate to this. I've completely run out race-to-7 league matches, and even completely stole the show in ring games (opponents unscrewed), after I'd been "zonked" on heavy-duty cold medicine (e.g. Dayquil). My wits were completely subdued, I had no conscious mental edge at all, and was relying nearly 100% on subconscious execution. Rack after rack were going into the pockets, my ring game opponents kept tossing my winnings onto the table, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders and collect them. It was like, "Feh, no big deal." I really didn't care. I was more concerned about being stuffed-up (nasal congestion), my cloudy head, the ringing in my ears caused by both my malady and the meds, and just in general feeling like crap.

As you described, I think I was in the middle of the ultimate distraction, a distraction that is not exactly "good" (it's never good to not be in good health), but it worked for taking my conscious mind away from distracting my performance. It was execution in its purest form, because the conscious mind was never in the way. I would definitely NOT recommend taking cold remedies as an artificial way to "subdue" one's conscious mind, that's for sure!

Finding a way to be "goodly distracted" is the best way. And, I think it's the pursuit of everyone here that knows they have a distraction problem (including the OP). The trick is in finding out how -- everyone's different.

Since I'm a musician, I find that if I think about music -- about a very intricate bass line and the fretboard fingerings / string-plucking execution -- that it works in keeping my conscious mind at bay when playing pool. For sure, it's got to be something ENGAGING -- something you love, that is of no effort for your conscious mind to stay engaged with. I love playing the bass guitar, so it does that for me. Each person has to find that "alternative engagement" for him/herself.

-Sean

What is it with you and colds?

:smile:

Unless you've been through a process of freakishly rapid improvement since 'have at me', I'd advise against this line of thought.

Your physical problems will trump any mental ones for a long time to come.

Nail your stroke, then worry about your head. The former is much easier to fix than the latter, and will lead to swifter improvement in your game.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Unless you've been through a process of freakishly rapid improvement since 'have at me', I'd advise against this line of thought.

Your physical problems will trump any mental ones for a long time to come.

Nail your stroke, then worry about your head. The former is much easier to fix than the latter, and will lead to swifter improvement in your game.

Always good to hear from you, Tim :p

No, I haven't had any overnight transformations. I simply know what the biggest hurdle is now. Yes, my stroke still needs work. That will never happen with my head all messed up.

Small signs of encouragement tonight. Baby steps. We shall see if they are repeated next week. Thanks to everyone for the advice. It is appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...we should see if we could wrap it up quickly. When it came my turn, I just stepped up, didn't think, and fired. I did this repeatedly, cleared the table and won the game. Long shots, cut shots, great position play....all sub-consciously....
I think you may have answered your own question. As soon as you have a shot visualized, get down and shoot it. Get the shot off within six seconds of the cue ball stopping. The shot you visualize doesn't have to be the best possible solution -- it just needs to be a possible shot.

One way I've done something like this is to shoot whole matches without any warm-up strokes. Down, line OK, boom.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think you may have answered your own question. As soon as you have a shot visualized, get down and shoot it. Get the shot off within six seconds of the cue ball stopping. The shot you visualize doesn't have to be the best possible solution -- it just needs to be a possible shot.

One way I've done something like this is to shoot whole matches without any warm-up strokes. Down, line OK, boom.

Yup. Proved it somewhat, last evening.

I'm extremely fatigued this week, major reset at work. So I'm playing tired anyway, small 8-person singles tourney. I draw a guy from my own team, who just finished his team match, and was playing pretty near lights out.

We laugh a little, and get started. As Bob suggested above, I just stepped up and pulled the trigger. Ran over him. It was pretty funny, cuz that's what he had just done to the player before. (I was doing a little whistling to myself, too, heh heh.)

Next round, I let myself start to think too much again. Not as badly as before, but i did catch myself. This is going to take time, to retrain my routine. (Lost the second match, badly, heh heh. Rattled a few too many corners, and my opponent ran right over me. Still, seeing the difference, I was in a much better state of mind.)

Thanks again folks. Its always something, isnt it?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Yes!

Yes, I like your idea of replacing bad distractions with good ones...

I have a theory that watching television (other than pool) can have a negative affect on your game. Watching thousands of bits of overt, subtle and subliminal information makes it harder to keep focused on the matter at hand. Though not a pool player, Jerry Mander explained this well in his 1978 classic, "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television".

What do you think?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I like your idea of replacing bad distractions with good ones...

I have a theory that watching television (other than pool) can have a negative affect on your game. Watching thousands of bits of overt, subtle and subliminal information makes it harder to keep focused on the matter at hand. Though not a pool player, Jerry Mander explained this well in his 1978 classic, "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television".

What do you think?

I don't know, but you could be right. I think we are moving farther and farther away from a peaceful mind and are continuously inundated with electronic data. We've gone from where you have to be home to receive a phone call, to answering machines, to cell phones, to texting. I remember the days in pool rooms when people were actually playing pool and not answering text messages every 3 minutes, or taking pictures and posting on their social network page: "Look where I am now!"

I remember that that Ray Martin was very disciplined about what information he would allow himself to take in when he was at a tournament. He wouldn't read a newspaper and refused to have certain types of conversations with people. I don't think he watched the news either. He stuck to this even if the tournament was a week long.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It helps alot to shut off the outside world when playing pool, but it's almost impossible to do these days

Can you imagine Irving Crane replying to a text while playing?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can not turn your mind off. It simply doesn't work like that. What you can do is quiet your mind so that you have more room for subconscious processes to operate. Quieting the mind was discussed with several recommendations under the relaxation techniques thread.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4304216#post4304216

Here is a recap of my contributions to that thread.

To experience a quiet mind try this before going to sleep. Stare at the back of your eyelids and try to see a black wall (like an old time black board). Breath slowly and deeply. Place all of your concentration on your breathing while you try to see a candle flame against that black board. In a few minutes (5 - 10) you will see the candle flame flicker. If you get excited it will go away so you have to stay calm. When you see the flame for a second or two you have experienced a quiet mind. Now that you know what it is you can practice as often as you like in an attempt to reach a quiet mind for long periods of time. The quiet mind has no thoughts in it, any passing thoughts are ignored while one sees the candle flame (or the object ball if you are playing pool).

There are other ways to quiet the mind at will. The one described here was distilled by L. LeShane ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_LeShan ), a New School for Social Research psych who spent many years attempting to distill the essence of Eastern practices for Western use. His book, "How to Meditate" is a classic that is useful today for its clarity and conciseness. Http://www.amazon.com/How-Meditate-S...ow+to+meditate

Cherith Powell and Greg Forde, "The Self Hypnosis Kit." (about $18.0) could also be useful after you have read Leshane. The kit is a book and audio tape that will help you learn self hypnosis for many different things. Both of these authors are highly respected professionals.

While deep breathing (in through the nose, out through the mouth and using your belly to breath) is effective there is a better way. Learn Deep Muscle or Progressive Muscle Relaxation. It takes four to six weeks to learn well. When it has been learned you can truly calm yourself down in less than 30 seconds. It can be used at any time before or during a match and will promote your best game better than just about anything else that is legal.

Deep muscle relaxation is used by therapists in the treatment of several different problems. It is also an effective technique to use in anyone's life. You can purchase books and audio tapes that will guide you through the process but it does take some dedication during the time needed to learn to use it. It is like learning to ride a bicycle, once learned you can use it for a life time. The technique is subtle and no one will know you use it as needed.

A reasonably complete description is given at the end of this rather lengthy article kindly republished for me by Dr. Dave. http://billiards.colostate.edu/PBRev...ve_Anxiety.htm

Here is another quick link to a general description of the procedure. Note that you must do these exercises twice a day for about one month until the muscle relaxation is automatic. I give some practice exercises that are useful for pool players in the article previously referenced.
http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Progr...cle-Relaxation

The most powerful way to learn these techniques is through the use of bio-feedback and under the guidance of a professional. However the basics, that will change your life, are easily learned.

For those who might be interested in a device that will help you learn to relax on demand here is the machine I used with patients when I was in practice
http://www.toolsforwellness.com/basgsbiofsys.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=basgsbiofsys

There are certainly many other machines. This one (@ $80.00 or so) is all that you need. It contains instructions and can be used with any of several commercially available programs. It takes a few weeks to learn to quiet the mind. Then it can be initiated as needed.

To rid one's self of scattered and or repetitive thoughts while at the table is a relatively easy matter. Use intense focus on the balls and visualize the object ball move before shooting. In essence you are focusing the mind and driving distractions away. This is much easier to do when one can relax on demand.

Of course none of these techniques work if you have serious issues such as competitive anxiety or other personal issues. See my article republished by Dr Dave for a lengthy discussion..

Last edited: