How do you go about suing a cue builder? Just want to get my cue back.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i think he works from home.if he has a shop then thats good you have a place to go and confront him.
i dont know what he does financially but if he stiffs his customers what do you think about his other financial dealing and obligations.
i wouldnt think he would hold back on giving your cue back if he thought someone was going to persure all his actions.
few would.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
People are afraid to say anything in fear of not getting their cues back, new cues, new shafts, etc. Even though that's not the way Dennis does things. Hell, one of the last guys to get his cue back told Dennis exactly how he felt and Dennis still finished the cue and sent it to him.

I have more cues there being worked on than probably anybody else on the planet and for quite a while but I have no doubt they will be finished eventually.

I don't even have a S in my possession currently lol but I do understand the frustration and so does Dennis.

He knows he should have better time management and truly feels bad about these situations(I know, if he really felt bad he would get the work done) but a little bit at a time is all he can fix.

I have no idea why he won't respond, I hope it isn't because him or his wife are sick, I just don't know.
Imo he needs to stop taking in repairs.
That includes the people who line up to the building daily to get tips done.
Those peeps burn thousands of hours yearly.
Worse, they walk around the shop freely.

Any of his cues get bent screw? Too bad. Your fault. Get it fixed somewhere.
No more shaft orders. Too bad. Each cue has two. Owner sells the cue but keeps one shaft and you bought it? Too bad. Your fault.

Refinish? Forget it. Send it to proficient.

Then, he can concentrate in making cues.

While at it, sell the tips to amazon.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
i think he works from home.if he has a shop then thats good you have a place to go and confront him.
i dont know what he does financially but if he stiffs his customers what do you think about his other financial dealing and obligations.
i wouldnt think he would hold back on giving your cue back if he thought someone was going to persure all his actions.
few would.
He has a great shop.
All equipment paid off.
You're speculating.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
thats good then getting a small claims win means it all can be attached and taken away if he doesnt pay.

and if thats true it makes it seem even more sad what is happening.

joey if you him him that well to know his business call him and tell him to at least return peoples cues and not keep them.
that is about as wrong as you can be.
then he can continue to never finish cues as that then is the customers choice.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Imo he needs to stop taking in repairs.
That includes the people who line up to the building daily to get tips done.
Those peeps burn thousands of hours yearly.
Worse, they walk around the shop freely.

Any of his cues get bent screw? Too bad. Your fault. Get it fixed somewhere.
No more shaft orders. Too bad. Each cue has two. Owner sells the cue but keeps one shaft and you bought it? Too bad. Your fault.

Refinish? Forget it. Send it to proficient.

Then, he can concentrate in making cues.

While at it, sell the tips to amazon.
Problem is, the people who line up daily have been going to him for years and they're the ones who pay the bills. We've discussed this many times.

middleofnowhere

Registered
thats good then getting a small claims win means it all can be attached and taken away if he doesnt pay.

and if thats true it makes it seem even more sad what is happening.

joey if you him him that well to know his business call him and tell him to at least return peoples cues and not keep them.
that is about as wrong as you can be.
then he can continue to never finish cues as that then is the customers choice.
I doubt there are really very many undelivered repairs as it may seem reading on here.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typed DS because everyone knows who is being talked about, I don't have any of his cues and never will.
I have been reading posts about him for years and he would get none of my business. Very Poor Businessman!
Here in Alabama, and some other places, mant times "very poor businessman" can be translated into "piece of shit". JS

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are afraid to say anything in fear of not getting their cues back, new cues, new shafts, etc. Even though that's not the way Dennis does things. Hell, one of the last guys to get his cue back told Dennis exactly how he felt and Dennis still finished the cue and sent it to him.

I have more cues there being worked on than probably anybody else on the planet and for quite a while but I have no doubt they will be finished eventually.

I don't even have a S in my possession currently lol but I do understand the frustration and so does Dennis.

He knows he should have better time management and truly feels bad about these situations(I know, if he really felt bad he would get the work done) but a little bit at a time is all he can fix.

I have no idea why he won't respond, I hope it isn't because him or his wife are sick, I just don't know.
If Dennis really and truly felt bad about his time management issues then he should correct the problem. To not do that is a character flaw and poor behavior on his part. I gave up ever thinking I was going to get a cue from him long ago and now that looks like a great decision on my part.

I truly hope he can get his shit together because right now he is risking his reputation which is much harder to repair than a pool cue by a long shot!
Something he should consider!

middleofnowhere

Registered
If Dennis really and truly felt bad about his time management issues then he should correct the problem. To not do that is a character flaw and poor behavior on his part. I gave up ever thinking I was going to get a cue from him long ago and now that looks like a great decision on my part.

I truly hope he can get his shit together because right now he is risking his reputation which is much harder to repair than a pool cue by a long shot!
How many repairs does he owe? The original poster has not mentioned it again. Maybe it is resolved.

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Problem is that the people who line up daily have been going to him for years and they're the ones who pay the bills. We've discussed this many times.
I totally get it and I figured that was the main problem. Cash is king!

middleofnowhere

Registered
I totally get it and I figured that was the main problem. Cash is king!
Really, $20. Tips? He builds $7500.00+ cues. He built one for coach Pat Riley for $25,000. Repairs are almost a waste of time. If he does any face to face repairs it is because he likes the company I guess, not for the money.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

That probably never occured to him 🤔

And I'm sure I said that in an earlier post

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Problem is, the people who line up daily have been going to him for years and they're the ones who pay the bills. We've discussed this many times.
They're costing the shop a lot more production, I bet .
Unless they're paying $100 per tip install, they ain't paying the bills imo .
They're getting favors because the man in the shop has no heart to send them to the tip installers there .

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really, $20. Tips? He builds $7500.00+ cues. He built one for coach Pat Riley for $25,000. Repairs are almost a waste of time. If he does any face to face repairs it is because he likes the company I guess, not for the money.
How many cues do you think he would build in a year? Making a few hundred bucks a day probably keeps
his life good. $300 bucks a day is about $78,000 a year plus whatever he gets built and makes on new cues. I
also doubt you would get a tip done by him for 20 bucks. $400 a day would bring it to over $100,000.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
How many cues do you think he would build in a year? Making a few hundred bucks a day probably keeps
his life good. $300 bucks a day is about $78,000 a year plus whatever he gets built and makes on new cues. I
also doubt you would get a tip done by him for 20 bucks. $400 a day would bring it to over $100,000.
If he is doing that many tips he would need people to make appointments and seeing how well he answers the phone I’m sure that’s not happening. I can’t imagine that people just show up at his shop, shaft in hand and expect him to replace the tip.

Also where would all the tip repairs be coming from?. I doubt there are enough pool players in his surrounding area to support him doing tip repairs.

telinoz

Registered
Regardless of the business, you take a job and make a promise.
You agree on a delivery date.
Invoice, purchase order made. Either is a legal contract.

You're late, the purchaser has every right to chase up and get the seller to abide by the agreement.

I never put myself in this position as a business owner, but it is obvious to any savvy owner you avoid repeating poor customer service and building a reputation for not delivering.
It won't work out in the long run.
You annoy the wrong customer and you are into fair trade issues, legal cases and wjo needs that headache.

In this case, if there is a known history of poor customer service then the power the public has to boycott a seller is substantial.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If he is doing that many tips he would need people to make appointments and seeing how well he answers the phone I’m sure that’s not happening. I can’t imagine that people just show up at his shop, shaft in hand and expect him to replace the tip.

Also where would all the tip repairs be coming from?. I doubt there are enough pool players in his surrounding area to support him doing tip repairs.
I see people come in all the time, some with as many as 8 shafts. They come from a few hrs south to a few hrs north, not sure about west. They come from all over the country and out of the country. He's nonstop busy

I had my cue send in to a cue builder for a pin repairs and it's been almost 3 years now. I have pics and text confirmation of him receiving the cue and also had several conversation over the phone on delivery time line, all this was prior to the covid pandemic. I've been trying to reach the builder for over 1 year now and he hasn't responded to my calls or email. The cue value is under 3K and I'm wondering if it worth it to pursue legal action. I'm thinking of first creating a police report in his state for the stolen item and then take legal action via small claim court. Anyone had any successful experience with trying to get their cue back from the cue builder through legal action? Is it even worth the time and effort?

I'm thinking of also flying down to his shop and just surprised him to pick it up. At this point, I'm sure he hasn't fix the pin issue so all I'm asking for is my cue back and I'll have the pin fix elsewhere. This has been one of the worst experience that I had with any cue builder over the last 25 years plus that I've been around this industry. It's just a shame how one of the best recognized name in our cue world conduct his business this way and I'm sure am not the only one that had this experience.

Thanks,
Duc.
A lawyer usually does the trick

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nobody said he was just doing tips. He does it all wraps, tips, shaft cleaning, ferrules
and I think he has his own tips which are not cheap. Pool is huge in Florida.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt there are really very many undelivered repairs as it may seem reading many..

How many repairs does he owe? The original poster has not mentioned it again. Maybe it is resolved.
I do not care how many repairs he owes not that that matters. He knows he owes the OP and should make that right ASAP.

IF, Dennis has made it right (as you speculated), I am confident the OP would have said so. For him to not do that makes him look just as bad as Dennis. That would make him no better than Dennis...

Add to that if Dennis would state, thru an intermediary, a time frame for completing and ending this saga it might all go away. Dennis is the one responsible for this whole fiasco. He and he alone...