How do you have your table marked?

GoodPM

I just finished my GC4 install and have taken a minimalistic approach to marking my table so far - small black dots for the head, foot, and center spots with a sharpie. I'm thinking the head string and vertical line from the foot spot to the foot rail would be good to have as well.

How do you have your table marked and what games do you play?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Small Sharpie dot on head spot. Traditional stick on dot on foot spot. Nothing else.
Play 99% 1p. Funny .. one friend keeps trying to swat the small dot. He thinks it’s a piece of dirt.

Attachments

• 4E71F7CC-61E2-48AC-80C8-D83751C93029.jpeg
    4E71F7CC-61E2-48AC-80C8-D83751C93029.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 117
  • F6D9CF35-2C68-48BB-AFF9-8A6100AF265E.jpeg
    F6D9CF35-2C68-48BB-AFF9-8A6100AF265E.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I saw the tailors chalk trick at a training session last month. I then bought some on amazon for my home table. On first use, on my brand new Simonis 860, I couldn't get it off. I ended up having to scrub it with cleaner and now have a nice stain. Be careful with which tailors chalk you use!

This is what I bought, and shouldn't have...

1675006779847.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The center spot is used at 14.1 in rare rack situations and in a few uncommon games such as Cowboy.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
52655767172_f3955f0d00_h.jpg

Head String (small mark indicating dead center), Break Box, "T" starting at the Foot String, extending to the foot rail. I play mostly rotation games.
This is how I marked mine. I used a pink sharpie as it isn't really noticeable when playing unless you are looking for it. I also outlined the rack for 14:1 but never really play it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a strong lean for the grey felt when deciding what to go with, then the blue/green just took the stage.
I have BINGO, snooker "D" on both ends, center table line (required for 4ball) that has the center table hash line.
The back side of the snooker D is the kitchen/break line.

I’ve never in my life seen a pool table with a center spot mark. What is it for?

Center spot plays big for 4Ball and rouge county black ball. Also for an honest break on the other rotation games.
Many options for plots in 4ball.
Here's how Rouge County Black Ball sets up,
This is for 2man team, one side will have the blue/green and other side red/yellow.
Black breaks onto the rack, winning team with a full skin win breaks with black tight on the rack.

RCBB.jpg

RCBB1.jpg

RCBB6.jpg

RCBB8.jpg

RCBB9.jpg

Have these team chips, for example; if you're blue shooting, reds up next.
uncommon for sure :)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished my GC4 install and have taken a minimalistic approach to marking my table so far - small black dots for the head, foot, and center spots with a sharpie. I'm thinking the head string and vertical line from the foot spot to the foot rail would be good to have as well.

Traditional table spot at head and foot both. Any game I choose to play.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You said it, how you mark your table depends on what games you play on your table. For 14.1, it’s nice to have an outline of the rack, and you also need a marking for the center spot and head spot. We have crosshairs where we rack the balls that extend beyond the template / wood rack, to make sure the wood rack / template is racked squarely and also to make sure the template is placed on the table squarely. A vertical line going back towards the foot rail is obviously needed for 14.1 or one pocket, but does not need to extend all the way to the foot rail.

If you use a sharpie, just make sure you get it right as you only get one chance. From my experience I can tell you that outlining the wood rack for 14.1 is tricky, as new Simonis is so slippery that rack really wants to move on you as you are trying to draw the sharpie around the outside of it! A second person, one holding the rack and one using the sharpie, makes it a little easier.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 14.1, it’s nice to have an outline of the rack, and you also need a marking for the center spot and head spot.
Is the rack marked on its interior perimeter or its exterior perimeter ?
And why ?

I always wondered about the rule where if the final ball or the CB is
"in the rack" special circumstances are used to rack. Is this inside the area the balls occupy, or inside of the rack racking the balls ?

Would proper application of the rules prevent CB from even touching the newly racked rack ?

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently I’ve got mine marked:

• Master spot on head spot
  • Master spot on foot spot
  • Small dot for center spot
  • 14.1 outline
  • Long string
  • Small dot for red ball (English Billiards)
I needed the center spot for Cowboy and the red spot for English Billiards but rarely play the latter nowadays.

Someday when the table get recovered I’d probably keep everything but just go with small dot for head spot and ditch the black spot.

I am considering drawing the head string.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the rack marked on its interior perimeter or its exterior perimeter ?
And why ?

I always wondered about the rule where if the final ball or the CB is
"in the rack" special circumstances are used to rack. Is this inside the area the balls occupy, or inside of the rack racking the balls ?

Would proper application of the rules prevent CB from even touching the newly racked rack ?
Has to be exterior perimeter, otherwise you can’t rack the balls!

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Head string full width.

From two inches +/- a bit above the spot down to the middle diamond (one pocket helps with spotting balls) and from the spot about 2 inches either side towards the side rails.

Used a laser and long level. Just regular no2 pencil. Was terrified that sharpie would bleed if I held it too long on accident.

Looks nearly identical to Rexus' post.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have those 2 lines.