How do you think pool can be saved across the USA?

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try supplying a youth football team sometime if you want to see expensive. :)

There's plenty of used tables on the market to overcome the expense to initiate such a product. Kids don't need to play on 9 foot Diamonds to get attracted to the game.

Except parents et.all. don't mind funding football. All football requires is a locker room and a field, which are plentiful.

The used tables on the market are still too expensive I think for the parents et.all. to go for this. And, like another poster said, there is just not many places to put them. In an elementary school, for example, where would these tables have room - roll them out on the gym floor? And youth centers favor ping pong tables, which are cheap and entertaining enough.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Since everyone seems to have different ideas how about we start a thread called.

"This is what I did this week to save pool!" Something that brought NO financial benefit to you, but instead helped out our sport in some way. Because if 36,000 AZ members did ONE thing per week, I doubt the "pool is dying" threads would be nearly as common.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Since everyone seems to have different ideas how about we start a thread called.

"This is what I did this week to save pool!" Something that brought NO financial benefit to you, but instead helped out our sport in some way. Because if 36,000 AZ members did ONE thing per week, I doubt the "pool is dying" threads would be nearly as common.

What a spoil sport!
We were just warming up and you came along and ended it.

Best post of the thread..in my opinion^

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Thanks to many AZ members I was able to start a youth program in Pasadena TX. The only way for pool to grow is to make it a sport in High Schools and Universities. Earl Munson has a model program in Dallas. Until the billiards world wakes up and begins to cater to schools sluggish is all that should be expected.

I would like to create a high school program in southeast Houston. I have the support of principals, local players and instructors and willing donors for equipment. What I do not have is space. Room owners will not agree to suspend booze sales even for a night. Room owners would rather go out of business than try something new. So smoke em if you got em and drink it up. If anyone is interested in backing a room pm me.

Cheers,
Marcus

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
I don't think pool needs saved. It might be slow right now, but everything works in cycles. :cool:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to many AZ members I was able to start a youth program in Pasadena TX. The only way for pool to grow is to make it a sport in High Schools and Universities. Earl Munson has a model program in Dallas. Until the billiards world wakes up and begins to cater to schools sluggish is all that should be expected.

I would like to create a high school program in southeast Houston. I have the support of principals, local players and instructors and willing donors for equipment. What I do not have is space. Room owners will not agree to suspend booze sales even for a night. Room owners would rather go out of business than try something new. So smoke em if you got em and drink it up. If anyone is interested in backing a room pm me.

Cheers,
Marcus

Hello Minorwood,
How are you? Nice post. Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good post. Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a few people had the right idea when they said there was a lock of organization and cohesion.

Here in Phoenix, there are 5-7 different pool leagues alone. APA, AHSPL, TAP, UPA, Paradise Pool League, Arizona Pool League to name the most popular, and each run different rules/formats/modifications.

So how do you promote something that in itself is segregated by 5 to 7 times in one city alone?

Someone mentioned bowling. Bowling is bowling. You have an approach, standard lanes, standard ball size, foul line, etc... An AJBC tournament uses the same rules as an ABC one, with only slight modifications for tournaments and playoffs.

But the game is the same for everyone.

Billiards does add variety and spice because there are so many ways to play it, so many different types of tables, etc... but the rules lend themselves to again... segregating people towards one side of the fence or another.

If all of the multitude of separate associations joined together and created a common standard, no matter where someone plays, I believe it would create an industry where millions of players would be as one, attracting others, instead of private league associations keeping themselves apart, where MONEY is the primary goal in owning an association, not enlarging the game.

I certainly dont have the answers, but I do believe this...

Most association owners, now, or when they started a local one, had a dream.

But very few if ANY have a vision.

From what Ive seen, the one man who stands out in having a VISION for pool is John Lewis.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PT109 did he end it, while you were just getting started? That was a good post. How are you doing Double HemLock?
Many Regards,
lock n load.