How do you think pool can be saved across the USA?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Chopdoc said:
"This is part of what I mean by such things being exclusionary. Most of the current people involved just cant accept the bangers at all. So much so that they will speak of them and to them with disdain, as if they have to wash after the interaction."

I am a banger and will never be any more than a banger because I am never going to put the time into the game to be decent. It can be intimidating to go into a pool hall when you know you are not good. It would be nice for the good players to accept and even just talk to the bangers. I did have this happen at Classic Billiards in Portland, OR last summer. My wife and I went in to play on their 12' snooker table. A regular customer came over and talked with us and even showed us a catalog of pool items. It was a very nice day. He made us feel welcome and when we go back to visit our boys, we will go there again.
I like this post...this is why I think pool leagues are good.
I know many people who feel shy around a pool hall....
...once they join a team, they feel they belong to the pool world.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Pool promoters need experience being professional pool players.

I'd say the opposite. Pool Promoters need to have experience as businessmen and also should have marketing expertise to attract sponsorship monies to the sport.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Chopdoc said:
"This is part of what I mean by such things being exclusionary. Most of the current people involved just cant accept the bangers at all. So much so that they will speak of them and to them with disdain, as if they have to wash after the interaction."

I am a banger and will never be any more than a banger because I am never going to put the time into the game to be decent. It can be intimidating to go into a pool hall when you know you are not good. It would be nice for the good players to accept and even just talk to the bangers. I did have this happen at Classic Billiards in Portland, OR last summer. My wife and I went in to play on their 12' snooker table. A regular customer came over and talked with us and even showed us a catalog of pool items. It was a very nice day. He made us feel welcome and when we go back to visit our boys, we will go there again.

First, to me, you are not a banger, but recurring revenue. No one starts out playing their best game they can possibly play. It is unfortunate this attitude, rather snobbery, about new players exist in the player world and in the pool room owner world.

I believe the staff of a pool room needs to be players also. Part of the job would be to help, give advice to new players in order to keep bringing them back and maybe even bring in new players.

A weekly free clinic would work also. Anything that keeps the tables full.

There needs to be a on going effort to bring in new players to the sport and then keep em playing and not lose them because of the current type behavior and what are considered "pool rooms", ie bars with tables.

Hell, I may to go to Texas and open a place with my brother. Seems that area is prime for my style of place.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have every non pool-related forum in the internet start a thread just like this, every three months just like this.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have every non pool-related forum in the internet start a thread just like this, every three months just like this.

How is this not a non pool related pool thread???? the main subject is about POOL!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is this not a non pool related pool thread???? the main subject is about POOL!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

You're misinterpreting me. Read it again. I didn't say ",,,every non pool related forum like this one,,,", did I.

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this post...this is why I think pool leagues are good.
I know many people who feel shy around a pool hall....
...once they join a team, they feel they belong to the pool world.

Hey Double HemLock,
You are the Man!!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're misinterpreting me. Read it again. I didn't say ",,,every non pool related forum like this one,,,", did I.

you're right, I read it wrong! I thought you meant this thread was non pool related! Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I glanced through this thread and didn't see my idea, so forgive me if it was already said. Everything these days is Reality TV. Think of what things are out there. I mean really, how interesting is crabbing & lobstering, armorers making guns, loggers, and digging for gold? How about surviving and preparedness, searching for big foot, car repossessions and meter maids. I mean honestly, none of that stuff is too interesting, but Reality TV makes it pretty interesting to the viewer. They do it by adding a lot of drama, suspense, and even romance at times. Pool has tons of drama already and suspense and romance are easy to add.

Whether it is some competition type of show where people get eliminated, following a few people on the road gambling, or a combination of both, it could easily become a very popular show. Of course, depending on how it is done depends on the image sent to the viewer. Either way, pool would be out there in the spotlight and on people’s minds more. If the show shows a friendlier side maybe more people would play, of course the dark side would reach more viewers.

I thought that not too long ago there already was a pool reality show - ?.

And it must have failed miserably.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all - let's all agree on this. I love pool as much as the next AZ member, but pool is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to watch to non-pool players. Especially when there is no shot clock, and even when there is one.

Only the Mosconi Cup comes close to making pool interesting - across the oceans competion with very good and exciting announcers.

The VCRs didn't become popular until they got under the $600 price tag. Pool needs Scottie to beam down and give us a formula for a cheap way to make slate.....and rails and pockets too while he is at it.

People became involved with golf because it IS FUN. You don't need to clog up your basement with an expensive pool table - just grab your clubs and go enjoy the outside - something pool is sadly lacking. And thus, golf grabbed a big place on TV because lots of people understand it, and poker grabbed a spot too because every Tom Dick and Harry can play this sport (or at least they think they can LOL).

The pool leagues are the only thing saving pool right now - WHY? - because it is FUN. Why - music, good food, and good alcoholic beverages.

ONCE enough people take up pool, then it might become popular to televise.....just like in England where everybody sits around drinking Guinesses and watching snooker games.

We need another good movie to come out, maybe with the star player growing up in a fun filled league for starters (so the viewers will get the idea of why pool can be fun).

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most of the issues with a person just starting out is the eye alignment to see the shot correctly. For many players starting out just telling them to line up naturally just doesn't get it. Even a seasoned player has trouble with this after a month or 2 without playing. They call it out of stroke but most of it is getting those eyes back in the most correct position naturally. But you can get back in stroke almost immediately if you know how the eye position needs to be.

But by a players knowing where the eyes need to be they can greatly reduce this time considerably. By knowing exactly how to line up they are practicing seeing the shot correctly all of the time. And this goes for seasoned players also. Knowing is so huge.

Good grief....enough with the eyes already. I have a lot of patience for marketing but you are getting ridiculous with all the eye talk.

Let's review:

A child is just starting to play pool. The number 1 problem they face is getting their eyes in the right position.

When you haven't played in a while and you are out of stroke, the number one problem you face is getting your eyes in the right position.

You have a problem making long straight shots. The number one problem you face is getting your eyes in the right position.

You miss cut shots....same as above.

WE GET IT! YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING IN POOL IS ABOUT EYE ALLIGNMENT.

My goodness, this thread was about how to save pool and you find a way to turn in to another P. Aim infomercial. Enough already.

theeviltwin69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief....enough with the eyes already. I have a lot of patience for marketing but you are getting ridiculous with all the eye talk.

Let's review:

A child is just starting to play pool. The number 1 problem they face is getting their eyes in the right position.

When you haven't played in a while and you are out of stroke, the number one problem you face is getting your eyes in the right position.

You have a problem making long straight shots. The number one problem you face is getting your eyes in the right position.

You miss cut shots....same as above.

WE GET IT! YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING IN POOL IS ABOUT EYE ALLIGNMENT.

My goodness, this thread was about how to save pool and you find a way to turn in to another P. Aim infomercial. Enough already.

+1 a thousand times

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
First of all - let's all agree on this. I love pool as much as the next AZ member, but pool is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to watch to non-pool players. Especially when there is no shot clock, and even when there is one.

Only the Mosconi Cup comes close to making pool interesting - across the oceans competion with very good and exciting announcers.

The VCRs didn't become popular until they got under the $600 price tag. Pool needs Scottie to beam down and give us a formula for a cheap way to make slate.....and rails and pockets too while he is at it.

People became involved with golf because it IS FUN. You don't need to clog up your basement with an expensive pool table - just grab your clubs and go enjoy the outside - something pool is sadly lacking. And thus, golf grabbed a big place on TV because lots of people understand it, and poker grabbed a spot too because every Tom Dick and Harry can play this sport (or at least they think they can LOL).

The pool leagues are the only thing saving pool right now - WHY? - because it is FUN. Why - music, good food, and good alcoholic beverages.

ONCE enough people take up pool, then it might become popular to televise.....just like in England where everybody sits around drinking Guinesses and watching snooker games.

We need another good movie to come out, maybe with the star player growing up in a fun filled league for starters (so the viewers will get the idea of why pool can be fun).

No, another movie want do a thing for pool long term. One has to think at least 5-10 years out about growing pool.

A reality show will not get people to play more pool.

One of the reason the main stream sports are main stream is because there is a support structure in place that pool does not have. That structure comes in the form of city supported parks, golf courses and sports programs. Also, after school leagues. How many kids leagues are there compared to say baseball, football and so on?

There is no little league for young pool players. And as long as pool is thought of as in the Color of Money, there will never be one.

Just like in other sports, a inter city youth league would go far to bring in new, young players and I would think that real pool room owners, not bars with tables, would want to be a part of bringing in new, long term customers.

Supply and demand. No demand, no supply. It is really quite simple.

I keep making the distinction between what I call a pool room and bars with tables. Why, because there is a difference, but I believe, to the general public, they don't know the difference, thanks to the Color of Money and other movies that have not displayed pool in a positive way.

I watched the opening Nascar race, now that was boring and I love going fast and taking chances in cars and on bikes.

So how did something that is so boring get to be so big? Pool could learn alot from how Nascar created a market, a positive imagine to a sport that started off with a bunch of bootleggers racing.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
So many pool halls closing! People doing so many other things now, computers, cell phones, video games, and several other things! How do you think pool can be saved in the USA?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Drake is hooked, his main goal in Vancouver is to find the pool room. He loves it and what a great after work fun thing to do...anyone from Vancouver? If so I'll find out where he is shooting the film. You might now of a cool pool room.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member

Agreed! Pool is a sport that must be played for it to be fun. The champs are great because as soon as you watch them you want to go play.
Drake might be good enough in a year to pull of a Pool Movie...at the rate he is playing his game should look great on film. Now we need a Script :)

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no little league for young pool players. And as long as pool is thought of as in the Color of Money, there will never be one.

Just like in other sports, a inter city youth league would go far to bring in new, young players and I would think that real pool room owners, not bars with tables, would want to be a part of bringing in new, long term customers.

Supply and demand. No demand, no supply. It is really quite simple.

You are correct - it is simply a matter of supply and demand, and like I said in my earlier post, as long as pool tables are so expensive there will NEVER be any youth leagues.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Most of the current people involved just cant accept the bangers at all. So much so that they will speak of them and to them with disdain, as if they have to wash after the interaction.

It can be intimidating to go into a pool hall when you know you are not good. It would be nice for the good players to accept and even just talk to the bangers.

A regular customer came over and talked with us and even showed us a catalog of pool items. It was a very nice day. He made us feel welcome and when we go back to visit our boys, we will go there again.

I've been guilty of pool racism, but it's not universal. It's the bangers that scream, yell, and woof but can't back it up. They try to offer advice to everyone within earshot. Every single shot is WHAMMO and then they try to tell you they, "can't play good", with a 17oz cue, it's gotta be a 22!

I've helped customers find cues (we have a catalog at our hall too), let them try out my Magic Rack, even let one use some of the unicorn chalk. I match up against them for fun and answer rule questions when they ask.

But hey if you call it the, "Granny Stick", I just can't have any respect for you. It's called the, "bridge", or the "rest". Learn some English (and no, I don't mean side, I mean the language).

PS: No, it didn't miss the pot because you tried to, "put too much juice/stuff/sh!t on it". You missed because you have no idea what the point of the juicy-sh!t-stuff is in the first place.

PPS: Being 5 tables away, I don't need to know your poo is juicy either. Keep it down you danged ol' whippersnappers.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So many pool halls closing! People doing so many other things now, computers, cell phones, video games, and several other things! How do you think pool can be saved in the USA?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock..I think I got it.:clapping:

Make pool illegal...just like prohibition ( look what that did for alcohol )
We could have pool 'speakeasies'...and carry our cues in violin cases.
We'll need sound proof walls...them breaks are LOUD.

...got any Tweeten's man?...I'm hurtin':(

regards
double hemlock

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lock..I think I got it.:clapping:

Make pool illegal...just like prohibition ( look what that did for alcohol )
We could have pool 'speakeasies'...and carry our cues in violin cases.
We'll need sound proof walls...them breaks are LOUD.

...got any Tweeten's man?...I'm hurtin':(

regards
double hemlock

Double HemLock,
I think you have the answer this time! That sounds like it could work! Hmmmm!!! Why did I not think of that method to solve the pool problem!!!
Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct - it is simply a matter of supply and demand, and like I said in my earlier post, as long as pool tables are so expensive there will NEVER be any youth leagues.

Try supplying a youth football team sometime if you want to see expensive. :)

There's plenty of used tables on the market to overcome the expense to initiate such a product. Kids don't need to play on 9 foot Diamonds to get attracted to the game.