How do you unhook yourself?

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I really don't want to get into the whole jump cue debate so I'm asking this question in a new thread.

When either your opponent or the pool gods (aka "lucky leave") leave you hooked on the table what methods do you currently use to get out of it and make a legal shot?

Do you prefer to kick out if at all possible? (1 rail, 2 rails, 3?)
Do you like to jump out of it rather than kick?
Do you masse, if applicable?
All three options?

Also, if you are kicking a lot, what systems are you using, if any? (Plus system, Corner-5, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whichever shot is the highest percentage for the cueball position I would like after the shot is completed. Kicking seems more accurate if I can use more then one rail.

I have played with a few systems but over time it becomes "feel" or "natural", I do not count diamonds but rather "see" the path in my mind.

Practice all 3 to figure out your completion percentages, use diamond, corner 5, mirror, im sure there's more, to help learn the cue ball path.

Keep in mind cloth condition, table build, rubber, balls condition, temp, and humidity effect the rails.
Hope this can help.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I really don't want to get into the whole jump cue debate so I'm asking this question in a new thread.

When either your opponent or the pool gods (aka "lucky leave") leave you hooked on the table what methods do you currently use to get out of it and make a legal shot?

All three options?

Also, if you are kicking a lot, what systems are you using, if any? (Plus system, Corner-5, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

I use whatever shot I think will yield the best result. I have practiced all three until I can adequately perform each as need.

All good players do the same.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using my playing stick 99% of the times depending on the hook regardless of the possibility or outcome, the only reason I jump is either to showoff or to just keep practicing to get better at it. It's a tool thats there wether we like it or not and i'm not going to be the stock up fool that doesn't know how to use it.
If you ask me a jump shot should be like a time out (when there's clock) you get one per rack.
Oh and I use the feel system coupled with experience to execute the kick for the most part, banks and kicks to open balls are a different story.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I use whatever shot I think will yield the best result. I have practiced all three until I can adequately perform each as need.

All good players do the same.

I'm sure all professionals or even shortstops do the same but I'm curious what lower skilled, recreational players lean on more.

So far, my experience is that A and B players tend to favor for some combination of options rather than being proficient at all of them.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
All things being equal I prefer to kick if it's viable. Reason being I feel I have more speed and directional control over the cue ball - where it contacts the object ball and where it goes after - than with a jump shot. Even more so if there is a reasonable re-hook possibility available. I tend to jump my way out of trouble only when it's the much better or only option.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I can put my bridge hand on a rail, only have to get past a piece of the blocking ball, the blocking ball is about 6 inches away from the cue ball, the object ball is about 2 feet away from the blocking ball and no more than about 6 inches from a pocket, I'll jump every single time.

I don't like to masse, unless the ball is hanging in a pocket and I don't need much curve.

I like one and two rail kicks. Three rail kicks only if the object ball is close to the third rail.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All three options?

Thanks in advance.

Occasionally players will ask me "do you prefer follow or draw". To me, that is like asking a car driver "do you prefer left turns or right turns"? The idea is: each situation is somewhat unique, and the correct response will vary with the situation. By "correct" I mean the choice that gives me the highest percentage chance of coming out good.

I don't much like 1 rail kicks...I find certain angles hard to see, and don't feel I have the same level of control. This is mainly true when the object ball is out in the middle of the table. I mostly prefer 2 rail kicks...I feel the object ball plays bigger, and I can adjust the shot more to get the desired object ball and cue ball path.

If a jump shot is reasonably straight, and if I were to make it the position on the next ball is reasonably straightforward...I'll definitely jump if the rules allow. Sometimes the only path to the object ball that allows me to play a good safe is with a jump.

I probably use masse the least. Much harder to control than the other 2. I would most often use masse to adjust the angle the ball goes into the rail on kick shots. It is extremely rare I would use masse to try and make a ball.

So the short answer is that I use all of those things, and select which one based on the specifics of the situation. I would say that I kick 80% of the time, jump 15%, and masse 5%. But who knows...those percentages are just how it feels to me.

KMRUNOUT

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suck at judging the longer one rail middle-of-the-table kicks, so if I'm only blocked by half a ball or so I'll normally masse it. I really need to work on my kicks.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suck at judging the longer one rail middle-of-the-table kicks, so if I'm only blocked by half a ball or so I'll normally masse it. I really need to work on my kicks.

You either see the kick or you don't. Making a kick is like making a shot. If you have a doubt, you will probably miss it. Try playing 3 cushion and your kicking will get better and so will your safety play. Yes kicks are about angles but they are really about triangles, even one rail kicks, and that's why 3 cushion play improves kicking.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kick is always my first instinct, then I look to jump then masse. My kicking system is real simple. Look at the cue ball, then the object ball, decide on how many cushions to hit, look in the general direction of the first rail contact point, start drawing some mental lines in my head for the speed I want to hit, scratch my head a few times, then try to really zone in on all these lines, forget the lines, look at the object ball, look at the cue ball again, walk in, get down, hit it. Surprisingly Im rather good at kicking. Must be that complex system I use.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All three options?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to have all 3 in the toolbag. Risk vs. reward should generally govern your decision.

Kicking:

Best option most of the time. It is usually the easiest hit, and offers a wider variety of defensive options because you can usually select your speed, allowing the balls to separate for a safety. Plays better when the object ball is closer to a rail. Believe a pro's successful kick rate is about 90%, but that number might be outdated some.

Jumping:

Plays better when you have a decent chance to runout (or attain a significant offensive advantage) if you make the ball, or when the object ball is toward the center of the table (making the kick option harder). Jumping rarely has many defensive options, but the upside is running out, or when the kick is just very difficult. With today's equipment, the jump frequently is an easier shot to execute than many kicks.

Masse:

Plays better for similar reasons to jumping, with again, limited defensive options. Masse'ing around, say, 25% of a ball should become a consistent skill. Balls near a pocket can be made with some regularity.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I don't much like 1 rail kicks...I find certain angles hard to see, and don't feel I have the same level of control. This is mainly true when the object ball is out in the middle of the table. I mostly prefer 2 rail kicks...I feel the object ball plays bigger, and I can adjust the shot more to get the desired object ball and cue ball path.
KMRUNOUT

Can you explain how an object ball plays bigger on a two rail kick versus a one rail kick? Suppose the object ball is in the centre of the table. Balls near rails play as a "big ball", but I've never heard anyone say a ball plays bigger on a multi rail kick. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Difficult to say without an example to see.
I don't know if everyones terminology is the same as mine but there are 3 kinds of blockage to an object ball.

Hooked - obstructed from a direct shot, but you can catch a rail (or more) to hit the OB :frown:

Jammed- Same as above but there are other balls in the path of the CB coming off of rails, thus limiting your options :(

In Jail- You are just plain stuck ! Most often right behind a ball with no angle to catch a rail , and spin can't help you here. Happens in corners and the OB in open table space. :mad:

If i'm hooked , I am looking for the chance to give me the CB coming off of a rail(or rails) with the biggest profile which gives me the best chance to hit the object ball.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to kick out of everything unless I can half-masse to hit the ball. Jumping is my last resort and I usually won't jump unless the kick doesn't offer much return. I know that jumping is a skill and in alot of ways caused safety play to improve world wide but I also think it's a cheap way out.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to kick out of everything unless I can half-masse to hit the ball. Jumping is my last resort and I usually won't jump unless the kick doesn't offer much return. I know that jumping is a skill and in alot of ways caused safety play to improve world wide but I also think it's a cheap way out.

You said it best "cheap way out." Guess I'm a purist who just loves the beauty of the rails and a well executed kick from jail.