How does Shane get the white in the air everytime??

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can't seem to get how he does it so consistently...and on top of that w/ such good control. anyone got a clue??

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By watching Busti break from his Accustats tapes when he was still too young to play that dangerously...

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
And if you're talking about the break, getting the cue ball in the air is not really a good thing. Slight miss on the thickness of the head ball and that cue ball is airborne and could literally kill someone. I do not recommend trying to imitate something like that.
MULLY

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Uhhhhhhhhhh

macneilb said:
i can't seem to get how he does it so consistently...and on top of that w/ such good control. anyone got a clue??

What type of shot are you referring to?

A jump shot? The break?.....need more info, ;)

Ray

Support for Smorg avatar badges available******** pm me

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
mullyman said:
And if you're talking about the break, getting the cue ball in the air is not really a good thing. Slight miss on the thickness of the head ball and that cue ball is airborne and could literally kill someone. I do not recommend trying to imitate something like that.
MULLY

i agree with mulley. theres plenty of good breakers out there that ud be better off imatating. Its to unpredictable.

busty and hillbilly come to mind

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Almost every pool tuition book I've seen says it's bad to have the cue ball go up in the air on impact and yet almost every Pro does it. If you have a copy of Charley Bond's "The Great Break Shot" it has photos of multiple Pros breaking on the cover and every single one shows the cue ball a foot off the bed of the table.

It seems to me that if you hit the 1 very close to exactly perpendicular to the line of aim, and given an amount of down angle on the cue ball caused by butt elevation then the cue ball only has the option of going straight up upon impact. The only way to avoid this would be to have the cue more level, or to hit with less speed. (Soft breaking.)

I also like the idea that, if the cue ball goes straight up, it is out of the way of the balls as they spread and far more likely to stay put in the middle of the table once it lands.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mullyman said:
MULLY

I was sitting less than 8 feet from the rack last night lik1 10 hours ago watching SVB hit the head ball playing by himself, NEVER once was the CB off the table from when it left his tip to when it hit the head ball, if it was I couldnt see it,Its a pop stroke and spin-what ever that means, he dosent crush them at all, its absolute control, and when the rock keaves the cloth there is no control left. how he does i dont know, i do it sometimes and i dont know why.

on a side note I have a friend who hits them harder than Hillbilly, Nevel, anyone-Kim Davenport agrees with me, and he has seen it all. Anyways he could get a little air under the rock(when he wanted to) and I have seen him hit the roof in Tiptons in Stockton a few times, hitting it hard THUD, oh yeah it was a 20' tall lid on that room, when the CB landed back down on the table it bounced higher than SVB lifts it in when he breaks, infact SVB dasent hit them very hard, the just gets that pop-Adam Benke does too.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
What type of shot are you referring to?

A jump shot? The break?.....need more info, ;)

Ray

on his break. he almost always puts it in the air but he does it w/ phenomenal control almost every time. i agree it probably aint the best break to try to imitate, but i like that his CB doesn't get kicked around as much as most people right off the snap.

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
Didn't Shane develop his break from watching Sigel play? I think I watched him talk about it on youtube or read it somewhere.

To me, IMO, it looks like his break is a 'Modified Sigel Break.'

Even Sigel recently changed his break from the Captain Hook of old bending the shaft into the felt to where he takes the tip to the one rather than the felt.

IMO, Shane took Mikes break and made it even better!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macneilb said:

That is how both men and women pros broke the racks in late 80s.there used to be a 90 pound 5`2`` tall women pro from flawda by name bonnie hoffman who used to attack the rack with explosive strength as good as any men out there.After hitting the belly of the yellow the whitey goes into the air for 2-3 feet high and comes down to land on the center of the table between the side pockets.
:cool:

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some may argue with me ..but if i had to copy a break ...hmmm it would have to be the late great Tony Ellin that guy had a monster break..it was insane.. Wish i could have met the guy

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
break

I played with Shane for three days and let me tell you if I could emulate anyone's break it would be Shanes. I have seen plenty of TV mathes and watched good gamblers. If you give any of the the consistency of sahnes break their game would be better, I was abel to duplicate his break for a short time and i was running out with consistency. just my .02

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with PoolHallJunkie. Shane has the best break I've ever seen. He uses so little effort compared to the monster breakers and gets the same result or better.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
Some may argue with me ..but if i had to copy a break ...hmmm it would have to be the late great Tony Ellin that guy had a monster break..it was insane.. Wish i could have met the guy

yes indeed he had a monster break but the only problem with that monster break was cue ball used to travel around the world and no telling where it would end.:cool:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
There are several videos on youtube showing SVB's break technique...including my own. I've spent quite a bit of time studying his technique and I can emulate it somewhat. Face it, it takes SVB's superior natural ability to get the most of this relatively complicated technique.

SVB's break can be broken down like this:

1) SVB sets up low over the cue with his feet pretty close to the table and his back hand very "forward" on the cue. Front leg bent, rear leg nearly locked. SVB takes several long, quick practice strokes. The cue is slightly elevated (~5 degrees) and the tip is aimed somewhere around just below center CB. This you will need to experiment with, but you won't be going to extremes either way.

2) Here's where a lot of action occurs...SVB takes a long back stroke and cocks his wrist (watch the videos very closely to see the wrist movement...its subtle).

3) As he completes 2), he begins raising his torso and transitioning his weight forward...think: slide up & forward...smoothly. This is why he stands close to the table (rear foot more forward than typical) and keeps his wrist forward in step 1. This further elevates the cue (to ~10-15 degrees).

4) As he completes 3), SVB begins his strike on the CB. The key component here is that he drops his elbow (substantially) to level out the cue. By moving his body forward he transitions his "forward" hand position to a more "neutral" position (hope that made sense!).

5) As SVB completes his transition into the CB, his back foot is now in a position to push him forward into the shot. If going for low power, his foot will remain locked to the ground. If he wants a little more, he ends up on his tiptoe. For max power, he wil push off and end up with his foot off the ground. He always ends up with his front leg bent quite a bit and his hips nearly flush with the table. Don't forget to snap the wrist thru.

If you watch the vids closely you will see that he may be hitting the table with his cue on the follow-thru...I do when I emulate this break...you should see the nicks in my J&J. You might even subcontiously think you are going to hit your hand on the rail!

It should be noted that his cue position is level thru impact so that early elevated cue aimed at "just below center" is now a level cue aimed "just above center". This slight top spin is what gives him that charactersitic hit/bounce/squat. If you got it all right, the CB (hit just above center) leaves the felt, hits the head ball on the fly or on the first bounce, rebounds up & back (due to the weight of the rack), land roughly between the side pockets, and have just enough top left on it to come to a halt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLH4loShWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjtwfjHXStI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvt5U5B7jIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3JCQuEu-U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zg4KMjgY0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCBs6T2kMI

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I forgot about this old post I made...the photos will help you visualize what he does. Just remember, everything is a smooth transition...there are no sudden movements.

mosconiac said:
Here are the pics of SVB. You will note that he begins with a low body position with a steep cue angle. As he is practice stroking, he makes slight upward movements with his body in preparation for neraly standing up when he strikes the ball.

At impact, SVB has stood up a bit and dropped his arm thru so the cue ends up nearly parallel with the slate (the tip is above the CB center for some follow to help the CB squat after impact). Look how quickly the CB rises even though the cue was nearly parallel!

As you can see, SVB is landing on the head ball (this is a barbox so its easy to sail all the way to the rack) and bouncing the CB back the center of the table with follow for a squatting action. He happens to hit this break slightly off center so the CB clides to the side rail as it curves forward.

SVBBreak100.jpg

SVBBreak125.jpg

SVBBreak150.jpg

SVBBreak200.jpg

SVBBreak225.jpg

SVBBreak250.jpg

SVBBreak275.jpg

SVBBreak300.jpg

Here's the vid at full-speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zg4KMjgY0k

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB hits the cue ball very accurately & his speed is timed for the cue ball to do what it does. The cue ball hits the deck, just before impact with the lead ball. If the cue ball strikes the lead ball, on the up part of the arc, that can be cause for concern (the cue ball caroms off the lead ball & becomes airborne). If the cue ball strikes the lead ball on the down part of the arc (see frame 6) this can be a good thing to create a desired effect of killing the cue ball. The cue ball caroms off the lead ball & back toward the player. A slight bit of forward roll acts as brakes wihen the cue ball hits the deck again.

This was a simplified description of what I see & try to do myself.

Good Luck...