How Good Is / Was Dave Matlock?????

shotgun

how good was/is dave matlock

I've watched him play, played him, and backed him. In his prime there has never been a better bar box player. I backed him in Quincy, Ill. some years ago against Louis Roberts, who was being backed by Larry Hubbard. they played 9 ball 5 ahead for $500 a set. Dave breaks, runs 4 racks and the 5th rack to the 9. The 9 is straight in the length of the table and the cue ball is sitting in the corner pocket. Dave shoots the 9 fairly solid and hangs it in the pocket. He then walks over, sits next to me and says "Thats what happens when you don't play for three months". He actually was disgusted. The set didn't last long. Dave drilled him. A couple months later I was with Dave in Clinton, Ia. for a $20,000 9 ball tourney on valley bar boxes. There was at least 20 of the top 30 players in the country including Keith McCreaty, Danny Medina, Nick Varner, Ritchie Guyler etc.. Dave lost a match late the first night and was pissed. He went to the anouncer, spoke to him briefly, then came to me, leaned against a pole and said watch. Shortly thereafter the announcer announced "There's a guy over ther leaning against the pole tht will play anybody here for any amount they want on a bar box with a big cue ball." There were no takers. Dave then walked up to McCready and said "Let's play some for a couple hundred a pop." McCready said, "No man, I'm tapped out." Matlock said, "McCready, all you are is a has been
with a drop of water in your pocket.

Love The Game

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to college with a buddy whose parents rented a house to the Matlock family. My friend asked me to come to Rolla, MO with him for a weekend and he would introduce me to this young phenom.

We walked into Stan's Pool Hall and there was a very young David playing 3 cushion of all things. I watched him run a few points and you could just see the natural ability at that early age - guessing he was around 14 at the time.

Proud to say we have been friends for over 40 years. Hell of a nice guy too; but a stone cold killer on the pool table.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was sick on the barbox for sure.

The definition of barbox has changed a lot though in recent years with the Diamond being so common now. He was the best at that time. I'd put SVB up against him even in his prime.

He is a great 1P player also (google the match of him and reyes)

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently heard a story about Matlock. Supposedly back when parica was playing real good. He went looking for Matlock to play for big money on the bar box. He finds Matlock and starts trying to make a game.
Matlock says "How do you want to play"?...Parica says "I'm gonna give you the last two, for $??????"
Matlock says "No. I'll give you the last two"
Parica.."No, you get the last two"

They end up not matching up because the other guy won't take a spot...lol

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I still try to figure out how Dave and the crew with him ever decided he could spot me 8 points on a snooker table. I think it was some sort of mind game. Didn't work.

A year or so ago, I got in a tourney at Shooter's in which Matlock and Kitto wound up playing for first and second. That was a tough matchup and both were playing some excellent pool. I even managed to get into the money but was disappointed that I didn't get to play either Dave or Scott. Still I figured us old guys did pretty well, all in all.

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish they would put a few bar table players in the hall of fame,it seems like that's what most people play on anyway.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had been playing fairly well going into a tournament in Oathe, KS in the mid 90's and couldn't wait to get under way. I drew Mr Matlock in the first round (lucky me!). All that nervous anticipation and all I got to do was lose the lag! He broke and ran 7 in a row!

Most enjoyable whoopin I ever took on a table! He really was a master on the bar boxes. I have personally never played anyone better on one, and I have had the pleasure of losing to him on several of occasions. Although I still can say that in all the matches we have ever played, there was always one point in each match that we were tied...the start, 0-0! All downhill after that!

I'll be needing therapy again now at I brought this memory up!:thumbup:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
There is a UTube vid of Dave with JA watching and the Miz commentating.
Pretty funny.
I have it book marked. If at any time I feel that I am getting better with my game, I can always watch the vid and realize how much I suck, or need to learn.