How good was Keith McCready?

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I became aware of him from the Color of Money ("It just keeps gettin' worse and worse doesn't?" or "The impossible dream!' haha). So I decided to search for any of his matches on Youtube. The only matches I found were a match against Earl from '88 and match with Buddy Hall from '03. In the '03 match he was clearly past his prime but against Earl he looked very strong and he's probably the most entertaining player I've seen play with his sidearm stroke, upright stance, and fast and loose pace. But he's never mentioned on here. Would love to see more of his matches posted. Was he just not that good or what?

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I became aware of him from the Color of Money ("It just keeps gettin' worse and worse doesn't?" or "The impossible dream!' haha). So I decided to search for any of his matches on Youtube. The only matches I found were a match against Earl from '88 and match with Buddy Hall from '03. In the '03 match he was clearly past his prime but against Earl he looked very strong and he's probably the most entertaining player I've seen play with his sidearm stroke, upright stance, and fast and loose pace. But he's never mentioned on here. Would love to see more of his matches posted. Was he just not that good or what?

Huh?!

Lisa

Jadssons

Rehab is for Quitters
Silver Member
At the time The Color of Money was made, he truley was the best money-player in the world. Keith was a beast that instilled fear into his opponents on the felt. They knew if he got a shot, they could be sitting for a long time.

bmoretallpaul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keith mcCready

keith was a force to reckon with in his day. he wore a shirt stating the world had the 8. watched him play plenty in hot shots billiards baltimore. you can order accu-stat matches to see for yourself

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith at top speed was as good as anybody out there,
I saw him run 7 racks in what seemed like 5 min he has a great combination of power and touch couple with exuding confidence and if not the most entertaining to watch he was certainly up there,
I think I saw a quote from buddy hall Jam will correct me if I am wrong

If Keith was drinking coffee instead of beer everybody else would be playing for second

I have a feeling we may see Keith again the game misses him hopefully he misses the game and will come back out and entertain us,
If anything just one more night in the pit at Vally forge with all the usual suspects would be a thing of beauty

onestroke

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he once ran something like 23 racks in a row.......so he prob belongs on the over-rated thread.....lol

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam should be by shortly to welcome you to the forum . :duck:
Great first post.:rolleyes:

Welcome, Magyar19. :grin:

When TCOM was shot (1985) and released in 1986, not too many people videotaped matches, the way they do today. For sure, there weren't too many people recording action games, and for the most part, this is where Keith spent the majority of his pool-playing career. The tournament venues were only gathering spots for some players, and the real action happened after the tournaments. This is where Keith shines, and it sure as heck wasn't documented in the pool print media. LOL!

Today, pool has become a tournament trail frequented by tournament soldiers from around the world. Gone are the American road warriors of the '80s, thanks to the advent of the Internet. After the Filipino Invasion, led by Jose Parica, the pool environment began to change in the U.S.

The U.S. Open's roster of the '80s, for example, consisted of 98 percent American pool players, with 32 or 64 players in total. Today, the U.S. Open's roster consists of not only players from around the world, but for the first time in its history, they will be allowing ladies to compete. And the U.S. Open today usually gets well over 200 competitors.

Keith still has a little spark left in the jug, as he puts it, and will be back, as Fast Eddie at the end of TCOM puts it. You can take Keith out of the pool world, but you can never remove pool from his heart. He is, without a doubt, an American thoroughbred pool player, through and through. He truly enjoys the crowd interaction when he's playing pool, and the more engaged the crowd is, the better Keith will play. He believes pool should be fun and really does enjoy playing in front of an audience.

Thanks for your interest and initiating a thread about Keith McCready. :smile:

Here's a shot of Keith shaking hands with Netherlands champion, Niels Feijen at the U.S. Open, whom Keith ended up defeating later that day. I'm glad I was able to take a picture before their match, with both players smiling. :grin-square:

Attachments

• Niels Feijen and Keith.JPG
    Niels Feijen and Keith.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 9,650
Last edited:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kieth is the epitome of win your money and you still love him. His rap when gambling is exactly what you got a glimpse of in COM. I've tried that and I just piss people off. What a a talent. It was a great era when he and his contemporaries were young and looking for action in L.A.

But we never talk about him here.:rotflmao1:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keither is lore. In his youth, he was a jetsetter, being flown around the country to match up for the money. He had a following that included sweaters, steak horses and movie stars.

JAM, how is his bio going?:smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM, how is his bio going?:smile:

It's like a nightmare that just keeps getting worse and worse. :grin:

Truth be told, I quit working on it a while back, mostly because of my work schedule. I'm not a writer, and for me to be able to write, I must be well rested to allow my creative juices to work.

Though I now have a wee bit over 500 double-spaced Word-formatted pages typewritten, there are some topics that I need to reference for dates, spellings, and accuracy. Some of Keith's versions of events do differ than what has been written about him, and I feel it is important to verify a happening more fully when this has been the case. :wink:

And then there's the Vegas years which are incredible and extraordinarily eye-opening, a la Stu Ungar eye-opening. I know Keith was not a saint and has a checkered past, and though some things may be better left unsaid, I feel that this is, in fact, a part of his life story, so it belongs in a book about him. But it sure is hard to muddle through. :eek:

Anyway, if I can ever get rid of this ball-and-chain job of mine, I'd love to devote myself full time to this book, much like I used to with pool when I first met Keith, but I have come to realize that pool is not the high that it once was for me. Pool, however, is very much still Keith's passion; in fact, it was and continues to be his joy in life. :)

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my enjoyable times ever in pool, was watching Keith play.

It will be much more entertaing when keith is hanging out with Jimmy mattaya either playing pool or brewiskieing.I will pay to watch these two guys together.That will be the best entertainment any pool fan can ask for.:cool:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, well you damn well better get it done because you have your memoirs to
write too! I want to see your story in a movie and I'm not getting any younger.:grin:

Talk to publisher. Show 'em what you got. Get an advance so you can quit work
and finish it. I know, you already did that.

How about selling a pre-published collectors copy? Higher quality ,numbered, special
photos,signed by you and Keith. To be delivered when it was finished ? I'm in.

Last edited: