How Much Can You Build Up The Finish On...

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
How much can you build up the finish on a shaft collar to match it to a butt. Just say I buy a cue and the joint is .870 and the shaft collar is .845, can the finish be built up on the shaft collar to match it up flush with the butt?
 
If you use electrical tape, you'll get there. :grin:.
.010 is stretching it.
.025, is way too much.
 
I've done it so I know that it can be done but I'm not saying that as a recommendation because it's not.
There's at least one other way to do it.
Auto-clear has a suggested 'finished' millage of .002/.003" with a max 0f .005". That's plenty.
The 'other method' I alluded to is to replace the deco ring with one of a larger diameter and do a slight
taper to the wood of the shaft. The taper doesn't have to meet the shaft.
What you'll have is a slight step from the ring to the wood. This step will be filled with the clear rather
than having .012/.013" thick finish on the deco ring.

HTH, KJ
 
McDermott uses about .030 of finish as a standard. I base this on the repairs I have done on them, replacing buttcaps and joints. I have counted 8 layers at about .004" each. Using that info, I know it can be done, and look very good, but the type of finish maybe the real sticking point. I know only that Mcdermott uses an auto clear, just don't know which one.
Dave
 
McDermott uses about .030 of finish as a standard. I base this on the repairs I have done on them, replacing buttcaps and joints. I have counted 8 layers at about .004" each. Using that info, I know it can be done, and look very good, but the type of finish maybe the real sticking point. I know only that Mcdermott uses an auto clear, just don't know which one.
Dave

McDermott doesn't use a normal automotive finish. They, along with most of the other large cue manufacturers use a UV finish that can be put on as thick as a 1/8 inch but of coarse it never is unless something needs filled. It is very tough stuff and isn't even sprayed onto the cue but sprayed into the air in a enclosed room and the cues hang from a assembly line. The cues act as a anode and a electrical charge is run through so that the cue attracts the finish. After so long running around in this room they move into another room where the UV light instantly hardens the finish. The extra finish from the room settles onto the floor, runs into a drain and then is pumped back into the sprayer so that there is no waste.

The bad part about UV is it's so hard to rub out. McDermott supposedly has a million dollars invested in their system that puts on a finish so perfectly that it doesn't need rubbed out. They spray their entire cues, steel joints and all. I'm afraid most of us can't afford such an elaborate system however. Now I do have a UV system but I need to rub out the finish so I only use it as a filler and to build up low areas and then follow up with an automotive urethane for ease of rubbing out.

Dick
 
How much can you build up the finish on a shaft collar to match it to a butt. Just say I buy a cue and the joint is .870 and the shaft collar is .845, can the finish be built up on the shaft collar to match it up flush with the butt?
Lenny

You can build it up that much. I wouldnt recommend doing so. The finish is going to eventually start chipping off. The first time you drop or bump it. It is going to start coming off. I have seen it over and over!! The most that I would do is .010. I try to keep my shafts at .005 of clear ...
 
Thanks for the correction KJ, and thanks Dick for the explaination. Sounds like a cool operation. Would like to see that on the show 'how its made' It's amazing to think they don't have to sand or rub it out...their finish always seems perfect.
Dave
 
Back
Top