How much does Playing/Beating the Ghost measure your skills

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member
Over the last 2 days, I have played the 9 ball ghost 4 times(2 races to 9, 2 races to 7). Before this, I had never played the ghost before. I have beat the ghost twice in those times(One of the two times I lost, I missed a hanging 7 on the hill). scores were 5-9, 7-6,6-7,9-7. I only used an early 9 when there was no other pocket for the previous ball.( I think 2 times in 27 wins)

I play @ on my home 7' diamond pro-am table w/ pro-cut 4 1/2" corner and 5" side pockets

Without having done this prior, is this a good way to measure my ability and what does beating the ghost actually mean?

I've been known as an extremely well safety player and several of the outs I did, I normally wouldn't have done if I wasn't playing the ghost. So it brought out a new dimension to my game I normally don't do. So, simply put, I wasn't playing "my normal" game.

So what does all that mean? Where does my skill level as a 9 ball player stand? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ghost is the best way to measure your rotation skills, imo. You are off to a great start. If you have enough practice time I'd try some 5 ahead sets.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beating the 9ball ghost 50% of the time is pretty strong, but you need to play MANY more sets and then check your winning %. I started playing the 10ball ghost when I got to 80% winning over the 9ball ghost. The 10ball ghost may be 1 more ball, BUT it's WAY harder, like 30 or 40 % harder IMO.

The only thing "ghost" games do is test breaking and pure run out ability.......which, when I think about it is what rotation games are about. I think someone needs to invent a game for testing the safe game like the ghost tests running out.

As far as "how" strong you play? that's hard to guage. Maybe someone else has more data on the ghost games vs player strength?

G.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
something else to consider if you use the ghost as a benchmark is the type of table you have and the pocket size.

If you find that you are beating the ghost 9 on a regular basis but get your ass handed to you on the ghost 10 you can handicap it in between the two. Scratch on break = loss of game and no BIH but rather push out to your first shot are two ways to make the ghost 9 tougher for example.

If you regularly beat the ghost 9 on a decent table (like a 4.5 inch pocket or less GC or Diamond) then I would say your an A player.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
also, imo I have seen AA players (shortstop level) regularly beat the 10 ball ghost

top regional pros I have seen beat the 11-12ball ghost

touring pros gamble with the 12-13 ball ghost.

So much depends on the table though. A triple tough pro cut diamond with 4 inch pockets might give regional pros all they can handle with the 9ball ghost.

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think someone needs to invent a game for testing the safe game like the ghost tests running out.

G.

Well here is the one I was given...

Double

Player A breaks. Balls Dropped remains his turn. Dry break Player B turn. BIH play safe. Other player attempts hit...sucessfull he gets BIH and its his turn to play safe unsucessfull Player A gets 1 point and BIH again

First to 3-5-7 wins

R

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Over the last 2 days, I have played the 9 ball ghost 4 times(2 races to 9, 2 races to 7). Before this, I had never played the ghost before. I have beat the ghost twice in those times(One of the two times I lost, I missed a hanging 7 on the hill). scores were 5-9, 7-6,6-7,9-7. I only used an early 9 when there was no other pocket for the previous ball.( I think 2 times in 27 wins)

I play @ on my home 7' diamond pro-am table w/ pro-cut 4 1/2" corner and 5" side pockets

Without having done this prior, is this a good way to measure my ability and what does beating the ghost actually mean?

I've been known as an extremely well safety player and several of the outs I did, I normally wouldn't have done if I wasn't playing the ghost. So it brought out a new dimension to my game I normally don't do. So, simply put, I wasn't playing "my normal" game.

So what does all that mean? Where does my skill level as a 9 ball player stand? Any input would be appreciated.

On Robleyf7's scale you'd be about an E-.

Just kidding...

Actually you're very good, now go out there and win (or lose) the rent money. ;)

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So what does all that mean? Where does my skill level as a 9 ball player stand? Any input would be appreciated.

Probably low to mid B level. Good hittin' though. Keep at it and track your scores with dates. It can be fun to see yourself progress, and to see where you came from.

td

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
the ghost helps turn you into a heartless serial killer

you can also get a good judge of how you perform through the whole set. Which can lead you to make adjustments to your game.

For example alot of people have problems say playing a race to 15. They get up on the other guy say 9 to 1 then slack off and tho they still win they only won 15-11 playing the ghost will teach you how to Stab your opponent in the heart and then twist the blade. Don't let anyone bleed out, if you are ahead keep the attitude to stay that far ahead, the ghost makes you do this b/c there is no missing or mistakes cuz the ghost don't miss period.

Off with their heads,
Grey Ghost

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
duckie nailed it

It will measure your skills in playing the ghost which is not the same thing as measuring your skills against a real live person.

Breaking, taking ball in hand, and trying to run out measures three aspects of your game, breaking, pocketing, and position play. However there are far more things to playing pool than this. I knew a few old Shortstops that I never saw run a table but I'd have bet the farm on them against many of the people that beat the nine ball ghost regularly.

Playing the ghost is a good drill and far more entertaining than most drills. It doesn't measure game strategy and that is often the difference between winning and losing.

Another ghost game that some guy from the Philippines uses to warm up sometimes, rack all fifteen balls with the eight ball in place. Break and run one set of balls in no particular order, no ball in hand. Then run the other balls in rotation, and finally pocket the eight last.

Hu

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
One other aspect of the ghost, and the primary reason I play the ghost at home, is that it is one of the best practice methods where you can create pressure. Dealing with pressure is a learned experience and trying to bust the Ghost is the only way I can consistently put heat on myself while playing alone at home.

Hu and Duckie raise a good point though. If you truly want to improve, playing the ghost will never provide you with the kind of well rounded PhD that getting into the box with a living opponent will. Play all games, play under pressure and keep intensity to your practice sessions, never loaf because your playing for fun.

Last edited:

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member
One other aspect of the ghost, and the primary reason I play the ghost at home, is that it is one of the best practice methods where you can create pressure. Dealing with pressure is a learned experience and trying to bust the Ghost is the only way I can consistently put heat on myself while playing alone at home.

Hu and Duckie raise a good point though. If you truly want to improve, playing the ghost will never provide you with the kind of well rounded PhD that getting into the box with a living opponent will. Play all games, play under pressure and keep intensity to your practice sessions, never loaf because your playing for fun.

Thanks for all your responses.

You are right uwate. If I am not playing for something and just banging some balls around, its just that, banging balls. So I was talking w/ a few players about playing the ghost and their success. IMO, they are of better caliber than me and didn't have extreme success(50-60%) against the ghost but said they liked the challenge simply because they didn't need another person to push themselves to try to accomplish something. And on top of that, it forces you get precise position.

I have been to several state tournaments, been in gambling matches for up to a few hundred a set and just recently saw my game increase. I have always been a smart, analytical player, I just lacked in the "gotta have it" shot making department. And I thought that playing the ghost would get me over the hump to gain confidence on shot making.

Before, if I didn't feel comfortable about a shot, I wouldn't hesitate to play safe. Doing this though, left the outcome out of my hands and into the hands of my opponent to possibly come up with some miraculous kick/jump shot to beat me.

SO, hopefully I can kick the 9 ball ghost's ass consistently and maybe one day, move up to the 10 ball ghost(for sh!ts and giggles, I tried the 10 ball ghost today and it was ugly! 5-9) Gerry was right, 1 more ball makes a hell of a difference!