• 16.5 - 16.99

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 16.49 oz or less (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every so often there will be a post here asking what the best weight is. Sometimes someone will mention an old survey of pros that showed 1/2 of them used 19 oz cues, and another 1/3 used either 19.5 or 18.5. Equipment has changed lots since that survey, and it's been suggested that players may be moving toward lighter cues. It's time to find out.

Sadly, estimated weights on cues are often off a bit, so I carry a wallet-size set of scales that fits nicely in my case to weigh cues I'm thinking of buying--accurate to about 1/100 of an oz. This is a somewhat dangerous thing to do in this day and time--but not as dangerous as carrying talcum or chalk, which I quit doing since it once caused me to have a very interesting conversation with a zealous member of law enforcement who knew very little about pool...imagine how much worse things would have been if I'd had the scales, too!

Please round to the nearest weight in the poll.
Details are encouraged.

Last edited:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I use 20.5 for 9 ball, and 21 for straights and one hole.

We did some surveys ages ago, with large numbers of players on site, including some pros and just under pro speed players. After compiling some data, and inspecting some of the cues, many players just thought they knew the weight of their cue. A ton of cues were not even within an ounce of what they thought they were.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
17 is too light and 20 is too heavy.... anywhere in between works... flat faced big pin means more to me than weight... As does balance... If the cue is balanced right does it really matter what it weighs??

screamingelvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best cue I have had was a Mcd d23 modded to 23oz , I stroked slower and had alot of momentum it was stole...now shooting w 21oz and will build another one at 23 or better I can see where masse shooters use logs to shoot with. (some as heavy as 30'ish)

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my playing cue are 18-19+ oz. I'm actually like to play 19oz cue, it's not so heavy an not too light, it's just match my arm.

RenoRex

High Desert Dweller
Silver Member
Alex Brick Custom "Palmer Model #20 Tribute" ... 60" (30-30) ... Weight 22.6 ozs.
and ..... I absolutely Love It !!!

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
This question comes up about every month at least. ;)

I don't believe any of them has ever shown an indication that the trend in the most common weights are changing.

~19oz- ~20oz

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every so often there will be a post here asking what the best weight is. Sometimes someone will mention an old survey of pros that showed 1/2 of them used 19 oz cues, and another 1/3 used either 19.5 or 18.5. Equipment has changed lots since that survey, and it's been suggested that players may be moving toward lighter cues. It's time to find out.

Sadly, estimated weights on cues are often off a bit, so I carry a wallet-size set of scales that fits nicely in my case to weigh cues I'm thinking of buying--accurate to about 1/100 of an oz. This is a somewhat dangerous thing to do in this day and time--but not as dangerous as carrying talcum or chalk, which I quit doing since it once caused me to have a very interesting conversation with a zealous member of law enforcement who knew very little about pool...imagine how much worse things would have been if I'd had the scales, too!

Please round to the nearest weight in the poll.
Details are encouraged.

Concerning the bolded part, those posts/polls show there is no "best weight." It is all highly subjective. Even this poll, which attempts to position itself as being neutral/unbiased, has interesting wording next to its upper and lower extremes -- i.e. "(please explain)". As if anyone using a 21oz or 16oz cue (both of which are commonly-available and standard weights) needs to "explain him/herself." ;)

I have cues upwards of 19oz. My main player at the moment is a 20oz cue, which I find perfect for the games I enjoy (i.e. 14.1 and 1p). No "explanation" needed other than I prefer this weight. ;) Light cues, to me, make my stroke arm feel as if it's on roller skates. However, that same light cue to someone else may feel perfect.

-Sean

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is 21 ozs, simply because I prefer a heavier cue on faster cloth. To some degree, I think this falls into the category of golf ideas. Most players prefer a heavier putter on fast greens.

Brian in VA

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
OK, here's something I've always wondered.

The 'default' weight is 19 oz. as far as I know.
The next step down is usually 18 oz.
But the next step up commonly seems to be 21 oz.
I see far more 21 oz than 20.

Is my experience just flukey or is that the way it is everywhere? And if so, why?

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my cues are 18 oz. For me, it's better to have a light stick since it feels free and natural. If I'm not in stroke, though, sometimes I'll prefer to shoot with a 19.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue I play with weighs between 19.0 and 19.1 depending which shaft I use. But it is almost always 19.0. What's missing here is the balance point. Mine's little forward, there's no pin in butt. I have another cue that comes in at 19.6 with a pin in butt . It's useable but I definitely favor the 19.0 cue.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
OK, here's something I've always wondered.

The 'default' weight is 19 oz. as far as I know.
The next step down is usually 18 oz.
But the next step up commonly seems to be 21 oz.
I see far more 21 oz than 20.

Is my experience just flukey or is that the way it is everywhere? And if so, why?

I havent really noticed that but.....

I suppose if you were trying to minimize inventory you could stock mostly 19s, clearly the most common weight by a long shot, and get to 20 easy with a weight bolt. Then just stock a handfull of 21s ?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
The cue I play with weighs between 19.0 and 19.1 depending which shaft I use. But it is almost always 19.0. What's missing here is the balance point. Mine's little forward, there's no pin in butt. I have another cue that comes in at 19.6 with a pin in butt . It's useable but I definitely favor the 19.0 cue.

Basically the same point but it's that "cue weight" is all that's ever mentioned is what has always surprised me. Not individual butt and shaft weights which IMO, which tell so much more.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
17 is too light and 20 is too heavy.... anywhere in between works... flat faced big pin means more to me than weight... As does balance... If the cue is balanced right does it really matter what it weighs??

My playing cue for going on two years now is only 17.3 ounces. I had been playing with a 19.5 ounce Ned Morris, but I saw that Thompson and just liked the looks of it. I was wondering if it would be too light, but I loved it as it turned out. It has the weight bolt built into the forearm of the cue, and I love the way the balance turns out when cues are made that way. This is my second cue with the weight in the forearm and I think that this is the way to go. One downside to this construction though is that the weight can not be changed.

In any event, I absolutely love this cue. Perfect balance, nice slim butt taper, thin shaft. I'm good too go.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I should also note that I personally don't think that weight matters much at all. I can adjust to whatever I'm using. What is the real difference between 17 oz and 21 ounces? Answer, a nicely portioned filet mignon. Just kidding.

Seriously though, I can just play with whatever. Sometimes I just put down my Thompson and start shooting with a 21 oz. $15 house cue from Muellers. Works just fine too. So much of pool is mental, I think it is easy to get trapped worrying about equipment. Hell, even a bowed shaft can get the job done if you shoot with the arch side up ha ha ha. A decent tip, preferably made of leather is critical though. Then again, I've won many a game with the cues that had the weight bolt completely broken off of the end and a plastic tip to boot.

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My store bought Lucasi is 19.5 but when I use a bar cue it is usually 19, if not I go heavier. The tip is more important than the weight to me.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Palmer cue compress.JPG

20.25 oz's on my 39 year old Palmer wannabe

(at least according to a $10 postage scale I weighed it on, lol)