Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Something else [please describe in your post]

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought it was obvious :p

the real problem is everyone having different tip diameters and curvatures which affects the contact point, as well as their stroke and real contact point and spin transfered. and ambient / ball conditions

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Don't know. I made this diagram to try and figure it out.

I think that a half-tip shift is what most people think of when they say "one tip" of english.

Attachments

• howmanytips.jpg
    howmanytips.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 629

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I've noticed, too, that a lot of billiard systems indicate tips of english, but they don't match up with each other frequently.

For me, I use the whole tip. I have used tips of english to help me kick at balls for quite awhile.

For me, one tip of side english will move the cueball one diamond on the short table, two diamonds along the length of the table. For many kick shots with only a certain path available to the first rail (interfering balls), I can find the natural angle of return and add english based on how many diamonds I want to stretch the angle.

I call it quantized english.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As said before, "tips" differ based on the diameter of the shaft so its not an exact thing, however my definition is in full tip increments; ie for 1 tip of right hand english, the left edge of the tip is on the centerline of the cueball.
Chuck

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of this is very confusing. Hell, sometimes people that watch me play say that they have no idea where I am aiming or striking the ball. I line up with what looks like extreme bottom, and then use "follow," or I kill the ball. I don't even think about this stuff. I guess all of those drunk nights gambling, I rely on muscle memory to get me there. If I get there at all.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, right, but what if I'm using a LDS with the temp. at 95 degrees, with 60% humidity, and I have a slight but noticabe ammount of BHE with my natural stroke, and I'm wearing pool shoes? :confused:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
making 1 tip of english mean 1/2 diameter is counter-intuitive and will confused more people. using whole diameter still allows saying "use 1/2 tip" or 1/4 tip.

Yes, right, but what if I'm using a LDS with the temp. at 95 degrees, with 60% humidity, and I have a slight but noticabe ammount of BHE with my natural stroke, and I'm wearing pool shoes? :confused:

then you might have to use 1/2 tip of english and change your socks.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You forgot using a radial shaft with finger slides. I just repped you.

And don't forget, if there is a question, break out the micrometer between shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
As said before, "tips" differ based on the diameter of the shaft so its not an exact thing, however my definition is in full tip increments; ie for 1 tip of right hand english, the left edge of the tip is on the centerline of the cueball.
Chuck

Putting the edge of the tip on the CB's centerline means you've moved the shaft sideways only 1/2 tip width.

The actual tip/ball contact point has moved less than that.

pj
chgo

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I may be in the minority. In fact, according to the early stats on the poll, I am the only person who believes that if the center of the cue stick is moved to the right 1/2 the diameter of the shaft, that is considered one tip of English/spin.

JoeyA (has his own drummer:D)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Your drawing shows that using "whole tip" english the maximum is 2 tips.

pj
chgo

I think his drawing shows both 2 tips and 2 1/2 tips, depending upon which side of the cue ball you are looking at and where you think one tip of English begins.

You've made another great thread and maybe this will all be put to rest once and for all.

JoeyA (doesn't think there's a chance in hell of that happening)

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've never heard of more than 2 tips of english, not that i really follow people's guidelines of tips of english

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Tips have varying diameters, and it's actually very hard to judge how many actual tip radii you've moved from center on the CB. In my experience, I'd say a "tip" of English is about 1/4". When people say "two tips of english", I think on average they mean 1/2" from center. Most people's maximum tip offset would then be about 3 "tips".

So I answered other, although I notice my answer is pretty close to 1/2 of the tip's diameter for most tips. So I guess you could put me down in that category as well.

-Andrew

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
When I'm teaching class, Ihave my students use the actual size of the contact of the tip with the ball. (The size of the blue chalk mark that is left on the cue ball) This method allows for more precision in determining spin. You can get about 4 tips in any direction from center using this method before you get into the miscue area.
Steve

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've had this argument many many times here on AZ.

That's my real point. Using a vague, undefined term like "tips" to describe the amount of spin is just asking for miscommunication, confusion and arguments. Of course, without all that what would be the point of coming here?

pj
chgo

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Guys, there are more pressing questions that must be asked!!!

Which way is my ceiling fan spinning, clockwise or counterclockwise? ;)